Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First time Clep - Whole future depends on it!
mednat Wrote:That definitely sounds frustrating. I think you'll find plenty of people here who warn of the dangers of these type of schools. Personally, I think the federal subsidy for education loans is a double edged sword. I do think it's important to educate students on the options available and the true cost of education and/or the potential ability to pay back the loan.

More than likely you will have the option to take the class elsewhere and transfer it in. I know you don't want to badmouth the specific school, but it may help if you list it so we can review their transfer policies.

What type of job are you wanting to do? If you consider a masters program, I would definitely ask the folks around here for advice. Their years of expierence have saved me tons of money in mistakes I would have made and have directed me to many of the masters programs I'm considering.

The school is University of Central Florida. As of my last conversation, they will not allow me to transfer outside credit in (I don't know about aleks, ace, or anything like that,this is the first I've heard of it and I'm running out of time; my graduation date is May 5th). They wont let me transfer the credit in because they require you to take your final 30 credit hours in residency, non-transferable. I can't even get someone to tell me who I can ask to see about getting that waived. I've been trying to get this done for years now and the best solution they've given me was the CLEP. I don't want to badmouth, as you said, but it seems like the left hand has no idea what the right hand is doing there and they just don't seem to really care. I'm already having to get a waiver to take the clep because they don't allow your final 60 credit hours to be clepped, but I have a verbal confirmation that they'll allow it.
prloko, this is a security and procedures policy for the test centers to follow. When candidates write down information (such as writing formulas or any other notes, etc.) on the supplied scratch paper ahead of time, they have now voided that CLEP scratch paper and it is now considered "test material" (no different than you taking in a note card or piece of paper from home). This is now "unauthorized scratch paper" and is listed on the Misconduct Policy screen as one possible form of misconduct.

Of course, testing candidates are more than welcome to use their actual test time any way they see fit. If they want to take the first couple of minutes to write down info that they think they might need, no problem. They are now within the test and can use the scratch paper to help them in solving the questions they might be asked.

I agree it is a fine line, but this situation is made very clear in some testing programs, while somewhat vague in others.
I just checked the UCF site for their posted CLEP policy and see that they also award credit for the DSST Fundamentals of College Algebra. I don't think there are many testers who prefer the DSST version, but I would at least check with the registrar's office to make sure that both of these exams would be acceptable. If they say yes, try the CLEP one first. If you don't pass, there is no waiting period to fulfill before trying the DSST one.
BGSU_Alum_86 Wrote:bamafan98, please do not pass along the suggestion to candidates to write information down on scratch paper before the exam even begins. I can tell you as a test center administrator this is NOT ALLOWED. Any writing needs to take place once the official timer for the exam begins (I tell my testing candidates they must see the first question on the screen before they can start writing). This has not happened very often, but I have interrupted candidates who begin writing when they are not in their actual test (this is a rule for ALL computerized testing!). The scratch paper is replaced and they move on.

Wow. Sorry. This is my first time being scolded on this forum. I have to say, it stings a bit as I was not trying to start anything, just sharing my experience. I do not claim to be an expert. In the testing center we go to she puts us in our glass room with a pencil & paper and leaves the room telling us to start when we are ready. I did not know this was a rule nor have I read it on any of the material the testing center gave me. However, I can assure you I won't mention it again.
CLEP: US History 1
DSST: Intro to Computing, Intro to World Religions
ALEKS: Basic Algebra, Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra
Sophia: Art History
Straighterline: Intro to Environmental Science, US History 2, Western Civ 1, American Gov, Anthropology, West Civ 2, A&P 1, Medical Terminology
The Institutes: Ethics and the CPCU Code of Professional Conduct
Kaplan PLA

In Progress - English 101, Intro to Comm
Just took my first Peterson's. I scored a 32 :-( That's after two months of prep
BGSU_Alum_86 Wrote:prloko, this is a security and procedures policy for the test centers to follow. When candidates write down information (such as writing formulas or any other notes, etc.) on the supplied scratch paper ahead of time, they have now voided that CLEP scratch paper and it is now considered "test material" (no different than you taking in a note card or piece of paper from home). This is now "unauthorized scratch paper" and is listed on the Misconduct Policy screen as one possible form of misconduct.

Of course, testing candidates are more than welcome to use their actual test time any way they see fit. If they want to take the first couple of minutes to write down info that they think they might need, no problem. They are now within the test and can use the scratch paper to help them in solving the questions they might be asked.

I agree it is a fine line, but this situation is made very clear in some testing programs, while somewhat vague in others.

I think it's a good point you make, and a fine distinction worth emphasizing. Using the "brain dump" is still a great idea, but like you say, it has to be INSIDE the test timer (which isn't a problem) glad you reminded us all of it!
bamafan98, I did not intend to come across as "scolding" so I am sorry if it came across to you that way. I realize that this site is a great resource for test takers and am one of those "rule followers" when it comes to administering/proctoring the exams. My candidates have found that I provide as much info as possible to help them do their absolute best -- this comes in preparation (when asked) and also on the day of their exam. I find that knowing what to expect is very calming for most candidates (I take extra time explaining what will be coming to those coming in for the foreign language exams, for example).

I appreciate the advice that all of you share, but I will pipe up when I read something that I know is not proper procedure/policy. Sorry in advance.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,956 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Average time to complete a Mechanical Engineering Degree soliloquy 8 7,033 08-14-2023, 12:19 PM
Last Post: soliloquy
  AP, CLEP, IB, vs others - Comparison/Example bjcheung77 0 507 08-11-2023, 12:12 AM
  Why It's Time for Legacy College Admissions to Go LevelUP 0 375 05-09-2023, 09:15 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  7 Time-Management Tips for Online College Students LevelUP 0 484 02-08-2023, 04:34 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  AP, CLEP, etc - Credit Banking on Credly bjcheung77 2 1,848 09-02-2022, 12:16 PM
Last Post: vintage_jacket
  University of the Future Alpha 0 376 08-15-2022, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Which college would be your choice - balancing reputation/perception - cost - time esh 6 694 08-08-2022, 05:26 PM
  combine CLEP & ACTFL? defmo 5 852 08-05-2022, 08:58 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  English 2 CLEP Jennr2z 6 1,317 05-25-2022, 10:02 AM
Last Post: ss20ts