Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flash Cards to Remember More of What We Studied Long Term
So I got a BSBA from TESU in 2018-2019. The problem is that now that's it's been over a year a lot of the information is starting to fade since I don't use it all. I'm mostly talking about the 101 stuff from the courses they have CLEPs and AP for, like the various theories in psychology, the process cells go through to duplicate, and US/World history topics. 

My idea is to make some well-thought out Anki decks with flashcards for the material that these courses typically cover, and just stay on top of the deck long term (I usually stop going over them after I finish a subject). 

Anyone have any input on some condensed resources that would be good to pull points from for flashcards? Or maybe someone's already done something like this and I just haven't found it? For example, I found this for Psychology/Sociology, and it looks like I could just pull information from that to make flash cards and I'd be good to go on those subjects. Maybe there's something similar for Biology, Chem, Physics, History, etc.

My goal is to be able to pick up a book like The Body by Bill Bryson and remember what the Amygdala does or turn on a history show and remember some details about the war of 1812 5 years from now.
TESU BSBA CIS - March 2019
Clep: College Algebra, Analyzing and Interpreting Literature, History of U.S. I, History of U.S. II, Principles of Management, Introductory Sociology, College Composition, American Government, Financial Accounting, Principles of Macroeconomics, Principles of Microeconomics, Principles of Marketing, Information Systems, Introductory Business Law, Introductory Psychology, Western Civilization I, Spanish Language, Biology, Social Science and History, Precalculus, Calculus
Study.com: FIN-102 Personal Finance, FIN-101 Principles of Finance, ACC-102 Managerial Accounting, BUS-308 Globalization and International Management, CS-302 Systems Analysis and Design, CS-303 Database Management, COM-120 Presentation Skills in the Workplace, BUS-113 Business Communication, STAT-101 Principles of Statistics
OnlineDegree.com: Computer Science CS101
Saylor.org: CS402, BUS303, CS302
Certs: CompTIA A+, Net+, Sec+, Linux+, MCSA, LPIC-1, CCNA
TESU: BUS-421 Business Administration Capstone
(04-24-2020, 07:12 PM)camjenks Wrote: So I got a BSBA from TESU in 2018-2019. The problem is that now that's it's been over a year a lot of the information is starting to fade since I don't use it all. I'm mostly talking about the 101 stuff from the courses they have CLEPs and AP for, like the various theories in psychology, the process cells go through to duplicate, and US/World history topics. 

My idea is to make some well-thought out Anki decks with flashcards for the material that these courses typically cover, and just stay on top of the deck long term (I usually stop going over them after I finish a subject). 

Anyone have any input on some condensed resources that would be good to pull points from for flashcards? Or maybe someone's already done something like this and I just haven't found it? For example, I found this for Psychology/Sociology, and it looks like I could just pull information from that to make flash cards and I'd be good to go on those subjects. Maybe there's something similar for Biology, Chem, Physics, History, etc.

My goal is to be able to pick up a book like The Body by Bill Bryson and remember what the Amygdala does or turn on a history show and remember some details about the war of 1812 5 years from now.

Why not just use any clep study guide and then make anki flashcards?
(04-24-2020, 07:12 PM)camjenks Wrote: So I got a BSBA from TESU in 2018-2019. The problem is that now that's it's been over a year a lot of the information is starting to fade since I don't use it all. I'm mostly talking about the 101 stuff from the courses they have CLEPs and AP for, like the various theories in psychology, the process cells go through to duplicate, and US/World history topics. 

Your phone is next to you (probably) all the time - you can always look up what the Amygdala does if/when you need to.  Trying to keep everything you've ever learned fresh is going to take some doing. And, it may not ever be important.  I think looking things up when you're not sure is far easier, and quicker, than spending time daily with flashcards.  But that's just me.  My brain can only hold so much info, so I have to prioritize.  Your brain may be better (or younger) than mine.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Decades ago, when the price of hand-held calculators first became reasonable, a kid I was babysitting for got a came (?Mr. Professor?) that included a hand-held calculator. She instantly started to use it to do her homework. I remember her talking to some friend on the telephone about homework. While I can't remember the math problem, she told her friend the answer to a math problem, and the answer was WAY off. The obviously didn't have the foundation down to use the tool.

As I've gotten older, I feel as though IQ points are just falling out of my ears, so I can see where someone would want to reinforce what seems to be lost or forgotten. The fellow who won the most money on Jeopardy, Ken Jennings, is quoted on this site https://www.artofmanliness.com/articles/paper-road-map/. It's about his position on paper maps versus GPS. Looking some esoteric fact up on the Internet is one thing, I think that the description of learning and understanding when using a paper map versus GPS probably holds true for learning and understanding in general. You have to have a solid basis of knowledge and understanding before going and the Internet. It can too easily become a crutch, and with some of the stuff on the Internet, it's a weak crutch.
I think that the best thing is just to search quizlet for topics and practice those card sets. Many of those sets have been created to review college classes and you can just use them rather than creating your own.

Also, it would also be a good idea to think about what you learned in a class and then create a project that is based on the learning and then post the results on a web page or on github. It might be something useful for someone else and then it also shows that you can integrate the knowledge into real life. Actual use of the knowledge also helps with keeping the knowledge fresh in your brain. So it is a win-win-win. You maintain the knowledge, you create something that helps other people and the project makes you look good.
[-] The following 1 user Likes eriehiker's post:
  • camjenks
(04-25-2020, 01:29 PM)eriehiker Wrote: I think that the best thing is just to search quizlet for topics and practice those card sets.  Many of those sets have been created to review college classes and you can just use them rather than creating your own.

Also, it would also be a good idea to think about what you learned in a class and then create a project that is based on the learning and then post the results on a web page or on github.  It might be something useful for someone else and then it also shows that you can integrate the knowledge into real life.  Actual use of the knowledge also helps with keeping the knowledge fresh in your brain.  So it is a win-win-win.  You maintain the knowledge, you create something that helps other people and the project makes you look good.

That's a really good idea. Do you have any examples you can think of? I mean, it seems easy when it comes to subjects like Computer Science. I can make a program and put it online. But I'm not sure how I'd go about that for things like History.
TESU BSBA CIS - March 2019
Clep: College Algebra, Analyzing and Interpreting Literature, History of U.S. I, History of U.S. II, Principles of Management, Introductory Sociology, College Composition, American Government, Financial Accounting, Principles of Macroeconomics, Principles of Microeconomics, Principles of Marketing, Information Systems, Introductory Business Law, Introductory Psychology, Western Civilization I, Spanish Language, Biology, Social Science and History, Precalculus, Calculus
Study.com: FIN-102 Personal Finance, FIN-101 Principles of Finance, ACC-102 Managerial Accounting, BUS-308 Globalization and International Management, CS-302 Systems Analysis and Design, CS-303 Database Management, COM-120 Presentation Skills in the Workplace, BUS-113 Business Communication, STAT-101 Principles of Statistics
OnlineDegree.com: Computer Science CS101
Saylor.org: CS402, BUS303, CS302
Certs: CompTIA A+, Net+, Sec+, Linux+, MCSA, LPIC-1, CCNA
TESU: BUS-421 Business Administration Capstone
(04-25-2020, 10:43 AM)LongRoad Wrote: Decades ago, when the price of hand-held calculators first became reasonable, a kid I was babysitting for got a came (?Mr. Professor?) that included a hand-held calculator. She instantly started to use it to do her homework. I remember her talking to some friend on the telephone about homework. While I can't remember the math problem,  she told her friend the answer to a math problem, and the answer was WAY off. The obviously didn't have the foundation down to use the tool.

As I've gotten older, I feel as though IQ points are just falling out of my ears, so I can see where someone would want to reinforce what seems to be lost or forgotten. The fellow who won the most money on Jeopardy, Ken Jennings,  is quoted on this site https://www.artofmanliness.com/articles/paper-road-map/. It's about his position on paper maps versus GPS. Looking some esoteric fact up on the Internet is one thing, I think that the description of learning and understanding when using a paper map versus GPS probably holds true for learning and understanding in general. You have to have a solid basis of knowledge and understanding before going and the Internet. It can too easily become a crutch, and with some of the stuff on the Internet, it's a weak crutch.

I did not say to never learn the information.  I certainly didn't let my kids use a calculator when they were learning how to add in elementary school.  But now that they know how to do that (they're high school), I certainly wouldn't expect them to never use a calculator to add up the groceries they're buying if they can't do it in their heads.  That would be silly.

Trying to remember everything you've ever learned is just not possible.  But learning what something is now, and then in 20 years if you're asked about it, if you do a quick look up, and it's "oh yeah, now I remember," that's fine.  There's nothing wrong with that.  As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure your brain can only handle so much information, and then if you're counting on remembering every single thing, you just can't.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(04-25-2020, 02:22 PM)camjenks Wrote:
(04-25-2020, 01:29 PM)eriehiker Wrote: I think that the best thing is just to search quizlet for topics and practice those card sets.  Many of those sets have been created to review college classes and you can just use them rather than creating your own.

Also, it would also be a good idea to think about what you learned in a class and then create a project that is based on the learning and then post the results on a web page or on github.  It might be something useful for someone else and then it also shows that you can integrate the knowledge into real life.  Actual use of the knowledge also helps with keeping the knowledge fresh in your brain.  So it is a win-win-win.  You maintain the knowledge, you create something that helps other people and the project makes you look good.

That's a really good idea. Do you have any examples you can think of? I mean, it seems easy when it comes to subjects like Computer Science. I can make a program and put it online. But I'm not sure how I'd go about that for things like History.

Well, the simplest idea is to create a web site or blog and post a high-quality, researched article.  This is actually what you would do in a class anyway.  Most of the time, we complete an assignment for a class and then file it away on a disk drive.  However, if the paper is/was good enough, people might actually want to read it and it could be posted.  For many years, I wrote an outdoors/environmental blog for a local newspaper.  I had readership of about 30,000 per month.  Again, people could start thinking about class assignments as content.

If the writing was good enough, a person could submit it to actual journals and publications.  I once wrote about a figure in my home town's early history.  He ran a local bridge and was kind of a justice of the peace.  As I researched his story, I found that he had grown up in France and was involved in the French Revolution.  His particular faction lost favor and he ended up in the United States.  I ended up getting it published in a local magazine.
[-] The following 1 user Likes eriehiker's post:
  • LongRoad

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  So long, computer science — Chaos Studies is the hot new college degree LevelUP 9 1,163 10-15-2023, 11:14 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
Sad Does anyone else hate waiting for the next term to start? fromthedepths 9 753 06-26-2023, 02:20 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Short-term Pell for online? Alpha 11 1,020 06-30-2022, 11:19 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
Question Why People Take SO LONG to Get Started? LevelUP 13 1,710 03-05-2022, 02:12 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Long-term Salaries after Graduation smartdegree 1 688 11-30-2021, 01:41 AM
Last Post: jch
  Applied to Strayer University - FREE Winter term! bjcheung77 14 2,544 11-13-2020, 02:27 PM
Last Post: ylmir
  Short Hiatus to Long Sabbatical & Advice for Pre-Health Fields... bjcheung77 3 1,060 05-18-2020, 06:04 PM
Last Post: ctcarl
  Bals how long to finish? SweetsugarNL 25 3,651 08-02-2019, 06:18 PM
Last Post: Cheeseburrito
  flash cards sbearden 2 709 04-21-2019, 08:35 PM
Last Post: Merlin
  Culinary Arts for Life Long Learning Life Long Learning 9 1,928 12-30-2018, 12:20 PM
Last Post: cookderosa