Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flexible schools other than the Big Three?
For a friend with an RA associates, who is open to a few different fields for a bachelor's. He needs a flexible/quicker school where financial aid can cover the classes and where classes are graded. 

I'm suggesting APU because it's flexible with the 8 week terms and many starts, but are there a couple schools other that are similar that should be considered? SNHU maybe?

(Big Three classes cost too much.)

Doesn't have to take ACE, but it would be good to know which do.

(08-17-2018, 05:51 PM)Ideas Wrote: For a friend with an RA associates, who is open to a few different fields for a bachelor's. He needs a flexible/quicker school where financial aid can cover the classes and where classes are graded. 

I'm suggesting APU because it's flexible with the 8 week terms and many starts, but are there a couple schools other that are similar that should be considered? SNHU maybe?

(Big Three classes cost too much.)

Doesn't have to take ACE, but it would be good to know which do.

Did he look at WGU? They are flexible, inexpensive, and allow up to 90 credits transferred (including a ton of ACE, as long as it is submitted before enrolling). However, since your friend is looking for graded credits, then ACE or testing out isn't really a focus, so any school should work.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • alexf.1990
Look at the RBA program at Marshall University. $669 a course and no math requirements. Need to take 8 courses through them. $300 for a PLA.
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS
(08-17-2018, 06:02 PM)Merlin Wrote: Did he look at WGU? They are flexible, inexpensive, and allow up to 90 credits transferred (including a ton of ACE, as long as it is submitted before enrolling). However, since your friend is looking for graded credits, then ACE or testing out isn't really a focus, so any school should work.

I thought WGU isn't graded?

(08-17-2018, 07:10 PM)Ideas Wrote:
(08-17-2018, 06:02 PM)Merlin Wrote: Did he look at WGU? They are flexible, inexpensive, and allow up to 90 credits transferred (including a ton of ACE, as long as it is submitted before enrolling). However, since your friend is looking for graded credits, then ACE or testing out isn't really a focus, so any school should work.

It's Pass/Fail. The "Pass" equates to a 3.0, according to WGU.
Ideas - I would email COSC and find out if all ACE, NCCRS credits would be transferred into their system with grades. Such as StraighterLine and Study.com, also ask if their transcript will show these grades. I recall StraighterLine will show grades, it would show on the evaluation, but I don't know if it would show up differently for the Transcript.

If he needs an online education, the best so far would be his own state community college, if he is in CA or NM, those are the cheapest in-state tuition, if out of state, I would suggest sticking with NMJC. Has he looked at the other competency-based programs such as Brandman and NAU, U Wisconsin, etc?
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(08-17-2018, 10:49 PM)alexf.1990 Wrote:
(08-17-2018, 07:10 PM)Ideas Wrote:

It's Pass/Fail. The "Pass" equates to a 3.0, according to WGU.

I didn't realize that WGU didn't offer graded credits for courses taken from the school itself. I assumed they didn't offer graded credits for transfer credits since most do not. I haven't really looked at how they grade credits, so I just assumed they were like every other college.

So you get a B in every course you pass then? That is interesting. Good for some people but bad for others.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
WGU says a pass is equivalent to at least a B/3.0, but on the transcript they are explicit that they do not calculate GPA.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
New England College, I’m almost positive they take associates in block (they took my Ashworth General Studies AA in its entirety) - if not they are very generous in granting transfer credit, have a variety of majors, just about every major’s curriculum is laid out simply with 40 major credits, 40 general education credits & 40 electives. Courses are 7 weeks & you’re able to take 2 at a time, with only a 30 Credit residency you graduate fairly quickly & it’s always free to apply online & get a transfer evaluation.

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net
BABA, New England College, 2019
[-] The following 2 users Like harrypotter's post:
  • Ideas, RachelB
(08-18-2018, 01:32 AM)harrypotter Wrote: New England College, I’m almost positive they take associates in block (they took my Ashworth General Studies AA in its entirety) - if not they are very generous in granting transfer credit, have a variety of majors, just about every major’s curriculum is laid out simply with 40 major credits, 40 general education credits & 40 electives. Courses are 7 weeks  & you’re able to take 2 at a time, with only a 30 Credit residency you graduate fairly quickly & it’s always free to apply online & get a transfer evaluation.

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net

$400 a credit seems steep. Is it cheaper for you because you're in state?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation Schools that list A+'s on transcript in any way? JumbledSpirit 3 295 02-19-2024, 06:23 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Question Extension Schools for Credit Transfer Tobutz 4 655 12-13-2023, 03:21 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  Switiching schools Joellem 14 788 09-27-2023, 10:22 AM
Last Post: Joellem
  Unaccredited degree assembled from courses at accredited schools elcastor21 1 370 09-26-2023, 12:07 PM
  Where did they go? Kids missing from public schools bjcheung77 5 615 02-16-2023, 02:20 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Top 10 Feeder Schools for 100 Tech Companies sanantone 13 3,489 12-30-2022, 03:07 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Penn state's two law schools will be combined into a single law school Imbanewbie 0 495 12-01-2022, 09:50 AM
Last Post: Imbanewbie
  Accrediting Council for Independent College and Schools clep3705 60 7,265 10-07-2022, 06:06 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Rebounding - Private schools & Homeschooling... bjcheung77 0 398 09-15-2022, 06:15 PM
  Self-Paced Online Schools Alpha 8 1,712 07-21-2022, 11:45 AM