Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Florida International University Online Degree ($10k! ACE accepted)
(10-06-2020, 05:47 AM)potato patato Wrote: Ok. Honestly that's a good offer but it seems like they won't accept sophia learning credits and i bought a yearly. Don't know what to do? I have regionally accredited 46 computer engineering credits and have 10 k money and enrolled into Snhu. Also i have to complete my degree in a year. I really love the snhu but just don't know. Panic attacking!

You can discuss with FIU's advisor.

FIU is obviously more popular. They rank among top 200 schools. Washington Monthly ranked them 35th in the nation. I see that many of their computer science grads have jobs.

They accept DSST and CLEP credits on top of ACE and RA.

(10-06-2020, 11:13 AM)ARhead Wrote: Isn't it odd that schools like this and CUNY, for instance, mention Saylor specifically (and generally no other provider) on their non-college credit transfer pages. Is it the case that Saylor is just good at marketing themselves to colleges? Because while I haven't done one of their courses, they don't seem to have a great reputation here.

I think that's because Saylor Academy is 100% exam-based.
Other providers give you points for open book quizzes...  universities don't like that.
FIU accepts Straighterline credits but they mention that you need to get a high grade on their proctored final.
(10-06-2020, 02:49 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(10-06-2020, 12:39 PM)sambam0812 Wrote:
(10-06-2020, 11:31 AM)As ss20ts Wrote:
(10-05-2020, 07:02 PM)nomaduser Wrote:
(10-05-2020, 06:52 PM)cerich67 Wrote: Hmm.. that almost makes them close to the "big 3", and very, very close to COSC, just 30-50% more depending on which big 3 and how frugal you are shooting for

Yes, but they're more prestigious than any of big 3. In fact, they have the 6th largest facilities among US universities.

Their ACE credit requirement isn't that simple though. You must pass proctored finals with good grades.

6th largest facilities in the US? Are we talking about football stadiums or research facilities? Where I live no one cares about FIU and most people have never heard of it. Same holds true for many universities. It all depends on your location if it's impressive.
I think that’s based on the fact that their campus is pretty much spread across Miami; so they do own quite a lot of real estate. 

Depending on the program, you either have heard of FIU and it’s prestigious, or there’s another Florida school that’s better so everyone talks about that one. 

I only wish their grad program costs were as nice as their undergrad.

They're 6th largest because of the real estate they own? That could be all dorms. Absolutely meaningless. Where I live no one cares about Florida. It's thousands of miles away. If someone earned a degree from a school with big name recognition like USC that matters even though it's on the other side of the country. FIU isn't going to be a big deal to much of the country especially since their claim to fame is real estate holdings. I mean the University of Rochester is in my backyard, but they are an internationally renowned medical research facility. They brag about that not how much real estate they own or lease and trust me they're all over the place with medical offices. I go to their doctors because of the specializations they offer not because they own 100 buildings in a 10 square mile distance.
Inadvertently, you are. More buildings means more funding. More funding means better quality staff, better quality facilities, a higher chance they perform significant research, etc.

Same applies for universities. As I said, it’s usually only in relation to one or 2 programs (In this case it’s marine science; they have the worlds only underwater lab). They also have a pretty decent business school.

Notoriety and renowned aren’t the same thing. There are plenty of articles on how many ways FIU has plenty of fantastic programs that are well known in the US. In circles where they matter (namely their international business school and marine science department) people know about them, regardless of where those people live. The fact that you haven’t seen them on the 6 o clock news and therefore claim no one cares about them where you live is probably a good thing.
I was wrong about the 6th largest facilities by the way. Maybe I was drunk....
FIU is 4th largest by enrollment:
https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/larg...tates.html

Here's a list of top 10 largest universities by land area:
https://www.lawnstarter.com/blog/college...ses-in-us/
(10-06-2020, 05:22 PM)sambam0812 Wrote:
(10-06-2020, 02:49 PM)ss20ts Wrote: They're 6th largest because of the real estate they own? That could be all dorms. Absolutely meaningless. Where I live no one cares about Florida. It's thousands of miles away. If someone earned a degree from a school with big name recognition like USC that matters even though it's on the other side of the country. FIU isn't going to be a big deal to much of the country especially since their claim to fame is real estate holdings. I mean the University of Rochester is in my backyard, but they are an internationally renowned medical research facility. They brag about that not how much real estate they own or lease and trust me they're all over the place with medical offices. I go to their doctors because of the specializations they offer not because they own 100 buildings in a 10 square mile distance.
Inadvertently, you are. More buildings means more funding. More funding means better quality staff, better quality facilities, a higher chance they perform significant research, etc.

Same applies for universities. As I said, it’s usually only in relation to one or 2 programs (In this case it’s marine science; they have the worlds only underwater lab). They also have a pretty decent business school.

Notoriety and renowned aren’t the same thing. There are plenty of articles on how many ways FIU has plenty of fantastic programs that are well known in the US. In circles where they matter (namely their international business school and marine science department) people know about them, regardless of where those people live. The fact that you haven’t seen them on the 6 o clock news and therefore claim no one cares about them where you live is probably a good thing.

More buildings doesn't necessarily transfer into more funding. For many colleges, it means more debt. Look at RPI and you'll see what I'm talking about. Marine science won't mean much in much of the country since a significant portion of the nation is landlocked. One can always find articles about how a college is. That's not difficult to do especially today with digital magazines and online news sources writing these articles ad nauseam. Funny how you bring up the 6 o'clock news when I said nothing about the news. I have worked in HR and hired plenty of people and not one had a degree from FIU. Then again I'm not located anywhere near Florida. I haven't come across any scholarly journals from them either in my research for my courses. I have many other universities including University of Rochester which I mentioned. They are on the news not for partying or causing trouble, but for their medical research. They've been in the national news for studying COVID vaccines and tests recently.
I think their Bachelor of Arts in Information Technology program is very interesting...

https://fiuonline.fiu.edu/programs/onlin...nology.php

So they require you to take only 11 courses. The rest of the courses can be combination of any courses from Straighterline, Saylor Academy? or any random transfer credits from different institutions???
Their description says this program was created for people who already have bachelor's in another field so they can transfer in their existing credits and get this degree by taking 11 required courses. Wink Their 11 courses will cost $11,385 (11 x 3 x 345).

This is a 'Bachelor of Arts' in IT, not 'Bachelor of Science' in IT... so it comes with fewer core courses.

Quote:Prerequisites (3 courses)

All students must complete the following courses (or equivalent) prior to enrolling in core courses for the BA in Information Technology program:

CGS 2518 Computer Data Analysis or CGS 2060 Introduction to Microcomputers or CGS 2100 Introduction to Micro for Business
    COP 2250 Programming in Java
    MAD 1100 Math Concepts for IT or COT 3100 Discrete Structures

Core Courses (6 courses)

All students must complete all of the following courses:

CEN 3721 Human Computer Interaction
    CGS 3767 Computer Operating Systems
    CGS 4285 Applied Computer Networking
    CGS 4854 Web Site Construction and Management
    COP 3804 Intermediate Java
    COP 4703 Information Storage and Retrieval

Electives (2 courses)
All students must take two elective courses.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question How can I Study on my own pace and online like a european? justmemyself 6 255 03-25-2024, 09:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Prompt Engineering Course by Vanderbilt University on Coursera LevelUP 2 218 03-23-2024, 05:28 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Graham School - University of Chicago Charles Fout 12 1,608 03-22-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Biochemistry online, no lab, and less than $500. GoodYellowDogs 11 10,141 03-20-2024, 04:16 PM
  The 100 Most Popular Accredited Online Colleges for 2024 LevelUP 2 205 03-20-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: nyvrem
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,448 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 22 1,542 03-15-2024, 05:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  American Public University? nomaduser 33 2,932 03-14-2024, 07:45 PM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Eastern University Self-Paced online Degrees natshar 2 596 03-06-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: jumlouh
  SUNY accepted upper level class jg_nuy 10 427 03-05-2024, 10:41 AM
Last Post: jg_nuy