Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Focusing on Your Strengths
For one of my courses this session, I had to read a book called Strengths Finder. It's a short and interesting read. It's about focusing on your personal strengths and not on ways to improve your weaknesses. It talks about focusing on your strengths and improving them will help to improve your weaknesses over time. There's a personal assessment that comes with the book. If you take the assessment, you find out what your top 5 strengths are and information about them. It's a pretty interesting concept especially since humans tend to focus on their weaknesses and work countless hours as we try to improve ourselves. 

https://smile.amazon.com/StrengthsFinder...177&sr=8-1

***I have absolutely no ties to this book. I receive nothing in compensation if you buy it.*** 

I just thought it was a really interesting concept to share.
[-] The following 5 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • carrythenothing, CatsDomino, origamishuttle, Pikachu, Stacie
From a management point of view, they look for people who have talent and work hard.

Managers need to focus on their strengths, and they should delegate their weaknesses to others to fill in the gaps.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 3 users Like LevelUP's post:
  • CatsDomino, origamishuttle, Pikachu
(07-30-2022, 11:11 AM)LevelUP Wrote: From a management point of view, they look for people who have talent and work hard.

Managers need to focus on their strengths, and they should delegate their weaknesses to others to fill in the gaps.

This is beyond a management point of view. This has a direct impact on one's life not just work.
(07-30-2022, 12:26 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(07-30-2022, 11:11 AM)LevelUP Wrote: From a management point of view, they look for people who have talent and work hard.

This is beyond a management point of view. This has a direct impact on one's life not just work.

That's one problem I found with this book. It's all over the place.

34 qualities that are all good to have. I should focus on 5 and ignore the rest?
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
If this is what I've heard of before, it sounds like another Myers–Briggs kind of test. Horoscopes for executives. If you take the test on different days, you'll likely get different results.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(07-30-2022, 12:46 PM)rachel83az Wrote: If this is what I've heard of before, it sounds like another Myers–Briggs kind of test. Horoscopes for executives. If you take the test on different days, you'll likely get different results.

It's not really like the MBTI. MBTI is your personality. Neither one are for executives. The MBTI was really interesting to me. The emotional intelligence assessments are all over the place for me. Totally inconsistent. I haven't found that with MBTI. The strengths assessment was pretty accurate for me. I wasn't surprised by anything in it.

(07-30-2022, 12:39 PM)LevelUP Wrote:
(07-30-2022, 12:26 PM)ss20ts Wrote:

That's one problem I found with this book. It's all over the place.

34 qualities that are all good to have. I should focus on 5 and ignore the rest?

You won't be strong in all 34 qualities. Some of them will be weaknesses for you. They say to focus on your top 5 because there's a limit to how much you can really focus on.
I used to work at a Wealth Management company in 2008 and they had all of us take that test. The downside is that they didn’t actually DO anything with it. I recently came across my copy, but lost my results.

For my Leadership class, we did the DiSC Assessment which was really interesting. I found this to be right on the money. As I read my results, the good and bad, I was saying, “yup, uh-huh, that sounds about right”

For the free class at Troy, they gave a link to a free version of the Meters Briggs… https://www.humanmetrics.com/personality
Mine was mostly the same as 20 years ago except I changed from an extrovert to an introvert which actually is accurate.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview

How large is the team you lead?
(07-30-2022, 03:12 PM)Vle045 Wrote: I used to work at a Wealth Management company in 2008 and they had all of us take that test.  The downside is that they didn’t actually DO anything with it.  I recently came across my copy, but lost my results.

For my Leadership class, we did the DiSC Assessment which was really interesting.  I found this to be right on the money.  As I read my results, the good and bad, I was saying, “yup, uh-huh, that sounds about right”

For the free class at Troy, they gave a link to a free version of the Meters Briggs… https://www.humanmetrics.com/personality
Mine was mostly the same as 20 years ago except I changed from an extrovert to an introvert which actually is accurate.

It's really interesting that you changed from extrovert to introvert. I wonder if something happened or if you were really more of an ambivert.
(08-01-2022, 06:52 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(07-30-2022, 03:12 PM)Vle045 Wrote: I used to work at a Wealth Management company in 2008 and they had all of us take that test.  The downside is that they didn’t actually DO anything with it.  I recently came across my copy, but lost my results.

For my Leadership class, we did the DiSC Assessment which was really interesting.  I found this to be right on the money.  As I read my results, the good and bad, I was saying, “yup, uh-huh, that sounds about right”

It's really interesting that you changed from extrovert to introvert. I wonder if something happened or if you were really more of an ambivert.

I think it’s possible that I just changed with age.  In my 20’s I was a social butterfly, always out and about, speaking my mind - without thinking.   Now I keep to myself a lot more and focus on my family.  I also have a different perspective on a lot of things in life.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview