Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Food Allergies
Sounds like semantics to me. Many forms of food sensitivities can legitimately be called allergies, as they're also immune-mediated, unlike digestive difficulties due to lack of enzymes. It's clearer, though, to call them intolerances, and reserve the term "allergies" for the hives & anaphylaxis variety.

Regardless, the simplest way to locate recipes you can eat with those limitations is probably searching for paleo options. Double-check anything you find, but it's a whole lot easier to double-check the things you expect are already likely to be okay than to read all the ingredients on everything at random.
-Rachel

BS in Interdiscipl. Studies (Health Sci. + Beh. Sci. [Coaching] + Business) at Liberty U

Liberty U: 36 cred finished

LU ICE exam:
4 cred
Christopher Newport U:
2 cred
Amer. Coll. of Healthcare Sciences: 52 cred (+14 non-transferable)
Study.com: Pers Fin, Amer Gov
Shmoop: Bible as Lit, Lit in Media
SL: Bus. Ethics, IT Fundamentals, Intro to Religion, Intro to Comm, Intro to Sociology, Surv of World History, Engl Comp I&II

TECEP: Intro to Critical Reasoning (didn't transfer)
ALEKS: Intro Stats
(07-07-2018, 05:02 PM)a2jc4life Wrote: Sounds like semantics to me.  Many forms of food sensitivities can legitimately be called allergies, as they're also immune-mediated, unlike digestive difficulties due to lack of enzymes.  It's clearer, though, to call them intolerances, and reserve the term "allergies" for the hives & anaphylaxis variety.

Regardless, the simplest way to locate recipes you can eat with those limitations is probably searching for paleo options.  Double-check anything you find, but it's a whole lot easier to double-check the things you expect are already likely to be okay than to read all the ingredients on everything at random.

I would go with what an MD or DO would tell you. The acupuncturist might even be practicing beyond her legal scope of practice. Dietitians need to know exactly what's going on to come up with the best diet plan. In medicine, it's not semantics. Pneumonia that is caused by a virus can't be treated the same as pneumonia caused by bacteria.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(07-08-2018, 01:59 AM)sanantone Wrote:
(07-07-2018, 05:02 PM)a2jc4life Wrote: Sounds like semantics to me.  Many forms of food sensitivities can legitimately be called allergies, as they're also immune-mediated, unlike digestive difficulties due to lack of enzymes.  It's clearer, though, to call them intolerances, and reserve the term "allergies" for the hives & anaphylaxis variety.

Regardless, the simplest way to locate recipes you can eat with those limitations is probably searching for paleo options.  Double-check anything you find, but it's a whole lot easier to double-check the things you expect are already likely to be okay than to read all the ingredients on everything at random.

I would go with what an MD or DO would tell you. The acupuncturist might even be practicing beyond her legal scope of practice. Dietitians need to know exactly what's going on to come up with the best diet plan. In medicine, it's not semantics. Pneumonia that is caused by a virus can't be treated the same as pneumonia caused by bacteria.

That isn't even remotely the same thing.  Of course a bacterial illness and a viral illness aren't treated the same.  But food allergies and food sensitivities are -- by avoiding the food.  Whether you need to avoid the food because of an IgG-mediated immune response or because of an enzyme deficiency is, for practical purposes, irrelevant.  Either way, the solution is to not eat the food.  Which is what the OP is asking for information about how to do.

In my experience, most health providers -- whether conventional or alternative/complementary -- tell you what to do and leave you on your own to figure out how.  (And then grumble about "lack of compliance."  Confused )

As someone who has no "traditional" food allergies, but has lots of tried-and-tested other issues with digestion & food, I can guarantee it's much more helpful to offer practical help than just shoot down someone's choice of healthcare providers.
-Rachel

BS in Interdiscipl. Studies (Health Sci. + Beh. Sci. [Coaching] + Business) at Liberty U

Liberty U: 36 cred finished

LU ICE exam:
4 cred
Christopher Newport U:
2 cred
Amer. Coll. of Healthcare Sciences: 52 cred (+14 non-transferable)
Study.com: Pers Fin, Amer Gov
Shmoop: Bible as Lit, Lit in Media
SL: Bus. Ethics, IT Fundamentals, Intro to Religion, Intro to Comm, Intro to Sociology, Surv of World History, Engl Comp I&II

TECEP: Intro to Critical Reasoning (didn't transfer)
ALEKS: Intro Stats
(07-08-2018, 08:45 AM)a2jc4life Wrote:
(07-08-2018, 01:59 AM)sanantone Wrote:

That isn't even remotely the same thing.  Of course a bacterial illness and a viral illness aren't treated the same.  But food allergies and food sensitivities are -- by avoiding the food.  Whether you need to avoid the food because of an IgG-mediated immune response or because of an enzyme deficiency is, for practical purposes, irrelevant.  Either way, the solution is to not eat the food.  Which is what the OP is asking for information about how to do.

In my experience, most health providers -- whether conventional or alternative/complementary -- tell you what to do and leave you on your own to figure out how.  (And then grumble about "lack of compliance."  Confused )

As someone who has no "traditional" food allergies, but has lots of tried-and-tested other issues with digestion & food, I can guarantee it's much more helpful to offer practical help than just shoot down someone's choice of healthcare providers.

I'm not a dietitian or physician, so I'm not going to provide medical advice. My "help" is to recommend seeing a physician. 

There is a trend of people self-diagnosing themselves as being sensitive to gluten, and there are alternative providers who hop on those trends. I'm not anti-alternative medicine, but I'm against someone practicing beyond their training. 

An allergy and sensitivity aren't treated the same because the reactions are different. There are additional precautions when you're allergic to a food item. There are people who could die if their food is mixed with the same machinery that touched peanuts. If you simply get an upset stomach when you eat a bag of peanuts, you will go about life differently and won't have to walk around with an EpiPen. 

Here's an article on how patients using the wrong terms can be detrimental to their health.

https://www.everydayhealth.com/columns/h...your-life/
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I agree with Sanantone.

I'll add that it's really best for someone *not* to do any kind of elimination diet BEFORE getting complete testing and diagnosis because being symptomatic is very helpful for ordering tests. It's always possible that a dietary symptom is a symptom of something else, and in that case, an elimination diet as treatment can do more harm than good, especially if a significant GI issue goes undiagnosed. As an EXTREME example, my mother who died of colon cancer in 2009 had symptoms that mirrored IBS. She was not misdiagnosed, but my point is that symptoms aren't always caused by food- and avoiding food isn't always the treatment. If it is, it's easy enough to do- but the bigger question is first to be sure it's whats what.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Pandemic Effect on Food Deserts Kal Di 6 747 04-06-2022, 10:57 AM
Last Post: uncapentin
  Looming Food Shortages Is the Next ‘Slow-Moving Disaster’ to Hit World LevelUP 8 1,579 03-28-2022, 11:17 AM
Last Post: uncapentin
  Brain food cw008658 20 2,590 03-19-2013, 08:53 AM
Last Post: OpenRoot
  culinary & food cookderosa 0 681 02-27-2013, 11:12 PM
Last Post: cookderosa