Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Foothill College
I am looking into Foothill College with their affortable rates for out of state students. I understand that there is a limit of 6 units (on the quarter system) per semester. My question is, can you take 1 course per semester for multiple years in a row? Or is there another limit, like a maximum of total courses at this rate? Finally, is this a community college, so all transfer credit at TESU will be LL?
There is no total, it's 6 units/semester, so that's 12/2 semesters or 18/3 semesters and so on...
That's correct, two year community college credits will all go in as lower level at TESU.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Uggh...quarter hours? I'd keep looking unless these are incredibly cheap or special in some way.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
I am not very familiar with the quarter hour system yet. Is it THAT bad? I thought that it would transfer to TESU just fine? Would it say "3 credit hours" per class on the TESU transcript? Anything I should know?
homeschoolmom1 Wrote:I am not very familiar with the quarter hour system yet. Is it THAT bad? I thought that it would transfer to TESU just fine? Would it say "3 credit hours" per class on the TESU transcript? Anything I should know?

They will transfer to TESU just fine (assuming the classes themselves are OKed by TESU).

They are slightly less time-efficient because they convert to semester hours at a fractional rate (see TESU's conversion chart below). In order to satisfy a 3 (semester) credit requirement, you must have 5 quarter credits. A 4 quarter-credit class won't be sufficient.

If your credits were earned on a quarter system, the following conversion applies:
• 2 quarter hours = 1.33 semester hours
• 3 quarter hours = 2 semester hours
• 4 quarter hours = 2.66 semester hours
• 5 quarter hours = 3.33 semester hours

Oh, and rebel100, Foothill is incredibly cheap: something like $31/qtr credit = ~$150 per course.
bghill Wrote:Oh, and rebel100, Foothill is incredibly cheap: something like $31/qtr credit = ~$150 per course.

Oh, darn, there was a 4 credit I was interested in taking.

There is a $16 fee for a Foothill course, so $171 for a 5 credit course (3.33 SH).

Due to quarter hour credits I ended up with 118 or 119 credits....had to take a whole course at the last possible minute to graduate when I expected at COSC....it's true they will transfer, but not always easilly as you might expect.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
TESU has no problem transferring in quarter-units, and a 4cr quarter course will meet the requirements of a 3-cr semester course, so that's not a problem. The only issue will be that you might end up short a credit or two at the end, which may need to be made-up at some point. BUT, if you already know this going in, then you can plan for it. Mostly, it's when you don't know that you're .33cr short and think you're ready to graduate that it becomes somewhat of a problem. Again, going into it knowing that you need to plan for this will make all the difference in the world.

Foothill/DeAnza is a huge CC system, with 40,000 students between the 2 campuses. They probably have a gazillion courses. And I know they have a lot of online courses.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Overall, I would recommend Foothill college if it meets your need better than any other option.

The quarter credit thing is not a big deal and not a showstopper. There are free and quick options to get the missing 1 credit if it's in GE or free electives. If the 2.67 quarter credits are in the AOS, you will need to plan an offsetting 4 semester credit course or a 4.5/5.0 quarter credit course that counts in the AOS as a whole. TESU is cool about not forcing you to make up 0.33 credits in specific AOS sections. Instead, they just want the total credits in the AOS to be above the minimum. To avoid this problem, favor the 4.5 or 5.0 quarter credit courses over the 4.0 credit ones when there are multiple options. As long as you plan in advance, you should not end up being short at the end.

Make sure you read the syllabus prior to signing up. You want to make sure exams for your course are not on campus or in-person proctored. IMHO, arranging for another school's proctored exams is a PITA and not worth it. The use of online proctoring is not widespread at California community colleges.
TESU BA CS and Math (graduated December 2016)
TrailRunr Wrote:Overall, I would recommend Foothill college if it meets your need better than any other option.

Make sure you read the syllabus prior to signing up. You want to make sure exams for your course are not on campus or in-person proctored. IMHO, arranging for another school's proctored exams is a PITA and not worth it. The use of online proctoring is not widespread at California community colleges.

I was going to mention that in my post, and forgot.

DEFINITELY make sure that you don't have a "hybrid" course or one that requires you to have an in-person exam for the final. That IS a deal breaker.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is online college easier now? Vle045 21 1,092 02-26-2024, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  People Who Regret Their College Majors Are Sharing What Their Major Was LevelUP 22 1,350 02-26-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,725 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Verified College Credit Transfers TINASAM 0 197 02-19-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: TINASAM
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 436 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  NH Colby-Sawyer College cut their tuition 62% in 2023 ($46,000 to $17,500) Ares 2 311 02-14-2024, 07:08 AM
Last Post: Ares
  Tohono O’odham Community College: $34.25 Credit Hour! Ares 3 622 02-07-2024, 12:24 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  College enrollment rises after pandemic lull LevelUP 0 178 01-25-2024, 04:44 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  101yr Old Woman Returned To School And Will Graduate College With Her Granddaughter LevelUP 0 199 01-25-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  5 institutions paying fine plus how much college costs in every state bjcheung77 1 189 01-25-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: inor