Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For All Those that Have Taken Stats...Is IC Enough to Pass???
I have already read the other posts regarding stats. Because this exam appears to provide quite a bit of anxiety for most I thought it would be a good idea to summarize what we have learned from the the other posts in this thread. What is the minimum needed to pass and the amount nedded to ace it.

1) Is IC (stats material and stats part of the clep material) adequate to pass stats, or is the Idiot's Guide to Stats neceassary for a pass?

2) If neceassary, how long does it take to go through the Idiot's guide for those that have? I noticed it was like 400 pages long.

3) It also appears that the Idiot's guide is far more useful then any of the other study guides (dummies guide, etc.). Would you all agree?

Like many here I have not taken a math class in close to 20 years and I was horrible at it then. However, I have to pass this thing for a Psych degree. One IC memeber scored a 75 using IC, the Idiot's Guide and a bunch of online videos (which I have neither the time or patience to watch). I would be happy with a score 20 points less (55)!!!
4) I forgot to add if bringing your own calculator is neceassary.
I see your other posts and since I just passed this last month I can tell you the scoop, study hard and yes idiots guide to statistics is worth the read. Now for the real question do you want to spend one day, week, or month to take these tests and fail knowing you have a six month wait for a retake?

You need to figure out what level of effort you want to put into your studying to earn you fast track credits. Nothing good comes easy or cheap, you get out what you put into.

For me I used IC, Idiots guide, and a private tutor (I too have been out of school for almost 20 years), took 3.5 hours and only got a 52, but I passed and thats all that counts to me.

Good luck with all of your tests towards your degree.
It is not about the effort. I just don't like wasting time. If you can prepare in a week with one resource why take 3 weeks with three? I feel that I over prepared for Civil War and scored a 65. I only needed a 55 for an A I believe. Anyway, the point of the posts is to get feedback on the minimum time and resources needed to score an A on these exams, with the exception of stats, which I only care to pass.
In my opinion, IC is not enough to pass the test. Certainly they provide a nice overview of Statistics. One that was instrumental in passing Statistics myself, but in my case IC alone was not enough to make the subject 'click' in my head. I'd recommend getting the Statistics Workbook for Dummies. Not Statistics for Dummies. The workbook has hundreds of problems within it and is well worth the $20.

My advice to achieve a passing score would be this:

1) Go over all the IC material.
2) Work through the entire 'Statistics Workbook for Dummies'
3) Any individual parts you have trouble understanding, go to Teacher Resources by Annenberg Media and watch individual episodes of 'Against All Odds'
-these episodes are fairly compartmentalized and each half-hour episode
covers very specific aspects of statistics
4) Spend a few hours extra to go over Null Hypothesis and Probability

It is also worth noting that I built my confidence up the day before the exam by taking these practice test versions for Statistics: DANTES, Excelsior, TECEP, and the multiple choice part of the AP Statistics.

P.S.- Yes you do need to bring your own calculator. I used the TI-36X. The important thing is that you want a calculator able to perform 2-variable statistic calculations. This comes in handy, especially for Standard Deviation and Correlation.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CC] Opportunity to change B- into PASS/FAIL credit Lightorb333 5 1,048 09-24-2021, 04:43 PM
Last Post: Lightorb333
  R/Stats Webinar eriehiker 0 642 06-20-2020, 10:54 AM
Last Post: eriehiker
  Like To Know simple Way To Pass Western Civilization MidtownNYC 2 1,451 07-29-2019, 07:06 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  "Pass Your Class" website BobaFett2010 13 2,820 01-16-2019, 03:00 PM
Last Post: rvm
  Modern States Pass Rate quigongene 5 2,236 08-30-2018, 10:23 AM
Last Post: Life_One
  DANTES removed civilian pass rates from website? greencouch 4 2,265 08-26-2018, 04:14 PM
Last Post: greencouch
  Pass Rate - English Comp I TECEP keepsingin 7 3,223 07-15-2018, 08:43 PM
Last Post: keokat
  I'm starting a CLEP YouTube channel to help people pass their exams, any ideas? zapproximator 4 1,964 07-09-2018, 04:46 PM
Last Post: acamp
Exclamation Advice for tutor that I hired to help pass clep exam evsimoian 3 1,537 06-16-2018, 10:54 PM
Last Post: evsimoian
  Stats/Math Resource Question a2jc4life 5 1,574 05-31-2018, 11:35 AM
Last Post: bezzina