Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For Anybody Taking ECE Psych UL Exams
Check out this very informative thread that I found at another board regarding preparing for ECE Abnormal Psych, Adulthood and Aging and Gerontology:

Laura

I posted about this before. All I used for Abnormal Psych was what was in the Princeton Review "Cracking the GRE Psychology" book in the abnormal section (which is only like 3-4 pages) and made sure I knew AND understood every single item on the Spark Chart for Abnormal Psych. http://www.sparknotes.com/psychology/#abnormal
HTH and Congrats on the B!!!

September 6th, 2005, 04:18 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I plan on following your advice Laura. I'll let you know how I do.

Thanks for the help!

Greystone

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by greystone : September 9th, 2005 at 06:59 AM.

greystone

September 10th, 2005, 05:32 PM

I passed the Excelisor AB test

Thanks Laura, your advice was dead-on. I just got back from taking the exam (B) and can say with confidence that the Sparknotes and the GRE book are exactly what it takes to pass the exam.

Next up is Psychology of Adulthood and Aging. Do you have any words of wisdom for that one?

Thanks again,
Greystone (3 more and done)

Last edited by greystone : September 11th, 2005 at 02:19 PM.

Laura

I took that one cold but if you study the Developmental Psych Spark Notes (click on the link for the abnormal and scroll up) make sure you know the stages of grief, and use a bit of common sense you'll do fine. (Use the GRE book too for the developmental stuff). The "Aging" part is more sociology orientated even though they call it a psych test. Oh, know Maslow (Hierarchy of Needs), Baumrind, Erickson for sure. You have to know the difference between the psych theories: Behaviorism/Cognitive/Freud's stuff. HTH

Laura

September 20th, 2005, 06:30 PM
greystone

Thanks Laura! The advice about "using a bit of common sense" really paid off. I didn't feel prepared for this exam and was just hoping to pass but in the end I got an (A), my first on an Excelsior exam. Listen to Laura is the new golden rule. I have the Foundations of Gerontology exam scheduled for this Sunday, wish me luck.

Greystone

Last edited by greystone : September 21st, 2005 at 09:18 AM.

#19 September 20th, 2005, 07:58 PM
Laura Holst

LOL I wish I could convince my kids of that! Glad I could help. Gerontology was harder than I expected it to be (I'm an "A" student and this one was my only B.) Just fair warning. There were alot more questions on public policy than I was prepared to answer and I couldn't even begin to tell you where to get the information. One important tidbit to remember: Aging does not in and of itself cause dementia or loss of intelligence. Aging only interferes with the elderly's access to information... they are slower. So anything that is distracting or that doesn't allow a longer period of time is going to affect the elderly. An example: When young adults and the elderly were given timed IQ tests the elderly scored significantly lower. When the same test was given to both groups with no time limit the older adults took longer to complete it... but scored comparably. That little tidbit should help you answer a plethora of questions on the exam. The policy questions killed my score (FYI) so if you can find a good resource for info on current public policy for the elderly you'll be a step ahead of where I was when I walked into the test. By public policy I mean trends in housing, healthcare, etc and the myriad of agencies responsible for said dissemination of services. I had NO clue and my score suffered for it.

Laura

greystone

Excelsior Gerontology Exam

I got an (A) on the Gerontology exam. This test is very similar to the Psychology of Adulthood exam. If anyone is thinking of taking the Excelisor Psych exams, I recommend taking them in the following order:

1. Abnormal Psychology (B)
2. Psychology of Adulthood (A)
3. Social Gerontology (A)

Taking the exams in this order makes the test preparation a little easier and results in higher grades.

Thanks Laura for all the Advice!

Greystone

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Major Study: Unproctored Online Exams Provide Meaningful Assessment Jonathan Whatley 0 333 11-16-2023, 02:48 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Exciting News at ENEB! Introducing test-type exams to fast-track your studie akr680 37 5,418 10-27-2023, 06:53 AM
Last Post: karehiro
  Anybody taken any certification exams (CPA, CIA, CFE, etc.)? kevinmane 9 2,339 08-21-2022, 11:19 PM
Last Post: lisarox
  What have others used to write the Spanish letters/characters while taking ACTFL? Insert Name 3 611 06-16-2022, 10:05 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Information New Batch of Microsoft Exams are now ACE(data, cloud, cs, UL) MNomadic 5 1,359 04-05-2022, 04:56 AM
Last Post: jch
  An Investigation Finds That Millions of Students Are Taking on Dangerous BNPL Debt LevelUP 4 805 03-07-2022, 07:14 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Cambridge International Exams - A Level or AS Level exams Lydclrk 1 695 09-17-2021, 06:07 PM
Last Post: nyvrem
Exclamation Is Sophia similar to Study in terms of course format and allow Open Book exams? OP88 4 1,294 05-26-2021, 05:29 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Should I go for COSC BS Health Studies or TESU BA Psych? mcorye91 15 2,133 12-28-2020, 02:11 PM
Last Post: mcorye91
  For parents of teens taking college level courses. Lacedonia4 15 2,292 10-15-2020, 11:26 PM
Last Post: BrianFallon