Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For Harvard Extension School, do you take the admissions requirement courses first?
Thank you very much! That was extremely thorough! I think you're right it wouldn't be worth it to pay the extra $3000 for only 8 credits(especially since I'm not a business major so it wouldn't even contribute to my degree). I think I am definitely going to make a way to plan it into my studies because $400 would be a decent price for a credential like that. Plus I am considering an MBA in the future.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
(05-24-2018, 11:21 PM)MNomadic Wrote: Thank you very much! That was extremely thorough! I think you're right it wouldn't be worth it to pay the extra $3000 for only 8 credits(especially since I'm not a business major so it wouldn't even contribute to my degree). I think I am definitely going to make a way to plan it into my studies because $400 would be a decent price for a credential like that. Plus I am considering an MBA in the future.

The program was designed to prepare non-business majors for an MBA program. I think you'd be the ideal candidate for the program. If you find anything out about the HES grant, feel free to post it.
Definitely! I will be looking into it this week.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
(05-24-2018, 11:29 PM)alexf.1990 Wrote:
(05-24-2018, 11:21 PM)MNomadic Wrote: Thank you very much! That was extremely thorough! I think you're right it wouldn't be worth it to pay the extra $3000 for only 8 credits(especially since I'm not a business major so it wouldn't even contribute to my degree). I think I am definitely going to make a way to plan it into my studies because $400 would be a decent price for a credential like that. Plus I am considering an MBA in the future.

The program was designed to prepare non-business majors for an MBA program. I think you'd be the ideal candidate for the program. If you find anything out about the HES grant, feel free to post it.

I signed up to the HBX Core course a few months ago and ended up getting a refund. There's no access to the instructors or any type of  'real' discussions between students. 

It feels like Coursera MOOC in my opinion, so I don't think is worth $400 for the non credit program unless you just want the Harvard name on your resume. If it was $1,000 for 4 college credits I would give it a green light because of the credits alone. But anyone can pick up some textbooks on the subject and learn the same material from textbooks alone and I'm just being honest.
[-] The following 1 user Likes FilMor's post:
  • cookderosa
(07-04-2018, 12:44 AM)FilMor Wrote:

I signed up to the HBX Core course a few months ago and ended up getting a refund. There's no access to the instructors or any type of  'real' discussions between students. 

It feels like Coursera MOOC in my opinion, so I don't think is worth $400 for the non credit program unless you just want the Harvard name on your resume. If it was $1,000 for 4 college credits I would give it a green light because of the credits alone. But anyone can pick up some textbooks on the subject and learn the same material from textbooks alone and I'm just being honest.

I had the same opinion regarding interactions between students and with instructors. In order to receive credit, you have to pay the full price ($2500, I believe). I've been a small business owner for the better part of a decade and I'm on the back end of a BSBA, so most of the content was review for me. The case study approach to the material did help me to better understand material I had previously learned and introduced me to a few new concepts. I agree with you on the price/content ratio. The only people I would recommend the course to is someone looking to fill up a lackluster resume or someone trying to get into the Finance or Management MLA at HES.

How much of a refund did they end up offering you? How far into the program did you get? I noticed that roughly 10% of my cohort didn't even complete the introductory module.

I finished my final exam last week, which accounts for 50% of the final grade. I'll update you once I get my grade in 3-4 weeks.
(07-04-2018, 02:05 AM)alexf.1990 Wrote:
(07-04-2018, 12:44 AM)FilMor Wrote:

I had the same opinion regarding interactions between students and with instructors. In order to receive credit, you have to pay the full price ($2500, I believe). I've been a small business owner for the better part of a decade and I'm on the back end of a BSBA, so most of the content was review for me. The case study approach to the material did help me to better understand material I had previously learned and introduced me to a few new concepts. I agree with you on the price/content ratio. The only people I would recommend the course to is someone looking to fill up a lackluster resume or someone trying to get into the Finance or Management MLA at HES.

How much of a refund did they end up offering you? How far into the program did you get? I noticed that roughly 10% of my cohort didn't even complete the introductory module.

I finished my final exam last week, which accounts for 50% of the final grade. I'll update you once I get my grade in 3-4 weeks.

10% is deducted from the retail price. The consumer loses that plus the $50.00 application fee.

In retrospect I should've finished it. But I signed up for the 8 week session and I just didn't find enough value in the material to go through the course. Now if the course had some type of a live chat room with actual instructors or assistants answering questions my concept of this program would be different. I would say that I think the platform where the course is presented is very nice though.If they are going to stay with this model, they might as well make the course mobile friendly since students are expected to just consume pre-created content at all times.
(07-04-2018, 04:41 AM)FilMor Wrote: 10% is deducted from the retail price. The consumer loses that plus the $50.00 application fee.

In retrospect I should've finished it. But I signed up for the 8 week session and I just didn't find enough value in the material to go through the course. Now if the course had some type of a live chat room with actual instructors or assistants answering questions my concept of this program would be different. I would say that I think the platform where the course is presented is very nice though.If they are going to stay with this model, they might as well make the course mobile friendly since students are expected to just consume pre-created content at all times.

That explains why roughly 10% of my cohort dropped out, I thought it was strange that people would pay that much for the course and then never bother to complete the intro module. The program starts out slow, especially if you have taken any business courses before. The first two modules of Financial Accounting cover the fundamentals of double entry accounting, and then it starts to pick up from there. The platform is a bit dated as well. It was developed in 2014 and released in 2015. It doesn't look like they've updated it much since then.

Have you taken a look at their new program, "Developing yourself as a leader." It's 12 weeks long and includes 8 live classroom sessions with HBS faculty and three 1-on-1 coaching sessions with "HBS coaches." It's a little rich for my blood at $3500, but it seems like its a better value than CORe if you're paying full price. It doesn't appear that they offer financial aid for this program though.
[-] The following 1 user Likes alexf.1990's post:
  • FilMor
Anyone else taking the Poetry course from Harvard this semester?
[-] The following 1 user Likes FilMor's post:
  • cookderosa

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fastest way to get into graduate school megaworp 20 887 03-22-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: davewill
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 31 6,850 03-08-2024, 08:40 PM
Last Post: HogwartsSchool
  Harvard Extension School Students Rally for Degree Name Change smartdegree 116 15,351 02-22-2024, 09:51 AM
Last Post: sarahmac
  Northwestern California University School of Law - My Journey GoodYellowDogs 47 14,283 02-14-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: MFG
  MIT University just released free online courses. KSoul 0 424 02-14-2024, 04:33 AM
Last Post: KSoul
  School of Business and Trade evaluation bjcheung77 12 1,244 01-11-2024, 10:36 PM
Last Post: adrian052
  Article bashes Harvard Extension ALM Grad smartdegree 50 8,282 12-25-2023, 09:32 AM
Last Post: posabsolute
  Using Pell Grant for Graduate Courses while Undergrad SophiaPrincess 2 463 10-19-2023, 02:57 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Medical School, AMCAS, Prerequisites, Pass or fail, online college, etc... CanICode 22 3,354 10-18-2023, 08:38 AM
Last Post: CanICode
  Seeking a grad school OTmina 4 1,062 10-11-2023, 11:13 PM
Last Post: OTmina