Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
For Sale: Young Online University in California
So, I just read my email and in pops this message... I skimmed the message and it seems really interesting! A Two year old BPPE university in California with a few programs, including Bachelors, Masters, Doctorate and all for $500K USD!

I wonder which university this is... they have a few colleges/schools for sale, didn't look at the others, some are much more expensive than this! And curious if it would be more expensive to create an university and market it... then get DEAC or RA later on...

Link: Businesses For Sale - California | Listing onfp7e (dealstream.com)
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Sounds like it's California Metropolitan University.

https://cmu.ac/

This university is 2 years old. The only new one established in California since 2015. it seems they're in the process of seeking CHEA accreditation. They currently have NCAECT.
As for whether it's cheaper to buy a school or make your own, I imagine it depends on the age and reputation of the school in question. If the staff are good, you don't have to spend money on recruiting when you purchase an existing school. On the other hand, if the school's reputation is in the toilet, you probably would have to spend a ton on remediation and new staffing before you could even begin to see any monetary returns.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(01-09-2022, 08:56 PM)rachel83az Wrote: As for whether it's cheaper to buy a school or make your own, I imagine it depends on the age and reputation of the school in question. If the staff are good, you don't have to spend money on recruiting when you purchase an existing school. On the other hand, if the school's reputation is in the toilet, you probably would have to spend a ton on remediation and new staffing before you could even begin to see any monetary returns.

Honestly I would one day love to see Michael Saylor and the Saylor Foundation do this and compete with UofP directly.
Remember that you have to be up and running for at least two years for most accrediting bodies to even consider you for accreditation. If you are confident that the existing structure can pass standards, it's a much better investment to buy an existing one and get it accredited (or in this case get an upgrade to legacy RA vs NA) than it would be to start your own and hope to get accredited down the line. Much bigger customer base once you're accredited, obviously.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
Yeah, it would be awesome to see a full degree being offered for as cheaply as Saylor exams are. I hate how UoPeople calls itself "tuition free" but each course costs $120. $120 per course is still low when compared to most US degrees, but $5k is still a LOT of money to some people. Especially in the developing world, which UoPeople targets heavily. And I especially feel bad for anyone who might have tried to use their American UoPeople degree to enter America as an educated person, only to be turned away.

UoPeople has admirable goals, but I think it's, perhaps, oversold itself a bit.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • Tomas
(01-09-2022, 10:18 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Yeah, it would be awesome to see a full degree being offered for as cheaply as Saylor exams are. I hate how UoPeople calls itself "tuition free" but each course costs $120. $120 per course is still low when compared to most US degrees, but $5k is still a LOT of money to some people. Especially in the developing world, which UoPeople targets heavily. And I especially feel bad for anyone who might have tried to use their American UoPeople degree to enter America as an educated person, only to be turned away.

UoPeople has admirable goals, but I think it's, perhaps, oversold itself a bit.

With Sophia, InstantCert, and Study.com you can definitely get a degree for under $5k at UMPI which is open to international students. Too bad they don't advertise online like many other schools.
(01-10-2022, 12:13 AM)ss20ts Wrote: With Sophia, InstantCert, and Study.com you can definitely get a degree for under $5k at UMPI which is open to international students. Too bad they don't advertise online like many other schools.

True. That's definitely a new option, though. They weren't around 10, 20 years ago when UoPeople was getting started. At least, YourPace wasn't.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
(01-09-2022, 10:16 PM)jsd Wrote: Remember that you have to be up and running for at least two years for most accrediting bodies to even consider you for accreditation. If you are confident that the existing structure can pass standards, it's a much better investment to buy an existing one and get it accredited (or in this case get an upgrade to legacy RA vs NA) than it would be to start your own and hope to get accredited down the line. Much bigger customer base once you're accredited, obviously.

That is correct that it's a much better option to buy a school that already has accreditation, or else your students won't be able to get student loans which would likely represent most of your students in an open enrollment type of school. (chicken or the egg dilemma)
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
Watch Walmart or Amazon buy them and get accredited and drop their learning programs with other universities.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Employment Opportunities in Online Schools BSBRose21 4 519 09-26-2023, 06:19 AM
Last Post: sarahmac
  Abide University Honorary Doctors Degree bjcheung77 0 572 07-07-2023, 02:17 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Having a dilemma about University Personherebb9 12 1,888 06-07-2023, 06:09 PM
Last Post: IReallyNeedADegree
  Canada/US: Mac Mini M2 Base model sale - $669 CDN/$499 USD bjcheung77 0 518 01-17-2023, 06:12 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The middlemen of online higher ed article cardiacclep 0 426 12-31-2022, 01:27 PM
Last Post: cardiacclep
  What is the difference between College and University (USA) Personherebb9 8 1,309 12-29-2022, 05:39 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  University / Colleges with Grammarly? msa145 1 740 12-18-2022, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Vle045
Exclamation Boston University Doctors Create New COVID Variant that Has 80% Kill Rate LevelUP 10 1,074 10-20-2022, 03:34 PM
Last Post: inf
  American University Alpha 1 569 08-26-2022, 04:36 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  University Biologist Resigns Alpha 5 836 08-10-2022, 05:51 PM
Last Post: Alpha