Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
For anyone on the fence about earning a BOG AAS from Pierpont, please read
Just got this email from Pierpont's Communications Dept;

Faculty, Staff and Students, and to all concerned:

You may be aware that West Virginia State Legislature House Bill 2805 was introduced today.  We know that you have concerns, but be assured that the Pierpont Executive Cabinet and Board of Governor Chair are taking purposeful steps to address and stop this proposed bill.

This Friday, the President, the Board of Governors Chairman, members of the Executive Cabinet will be traveling to Charleston to meet with Delegate Joe Statler and possibly other legislators.

The Pierpont Executive Team will work aggressively on this issue and will keep you updated as we move forward.

Thank you.

Anthony Hancock
Interim President

Please see attachment for more details.  In short, HB2805 is the latest attempt by the WV legislature to merge Pierpont with Fairmont State University.

I don't pretend to know exactly what changes would be made to the BOG AAS program in the event that this bill is passed, or when they might take effect.  But anyone familiar with this program knows that the costs and requirements are different from one WV CC to another and even at Pierpont which is the most discussed option here on DF, significant changes, both official and unofficial, are made from time to time, typically without notice of any kind.

I would suggest that anyone seriously contemplating this program should consider enrolling as soon as is practical.

Attached Files
.pdf   Ltr&Documents_to_WVLegislators_Pierpont'sPosition_re_Consolidation_w_FSU_2021-2-26v5.pdf (Size: 947.53 KB / Downloads: 14)
Ouch! Losing a community college could really have a major impact on the residents locally. Surely, combining the two would also have major impacts on the associate degrees people on here get from them. If the program were untouched, it looks like the cost will skyrocket.
(03-02-2021, 10:54 AM)ss20ts Wrote: Ouch! Losing a community college could really have a major impact on the residents locally. Surely, combining the two would also have major impacts on the associate degrees people on here get from them. If the program were untouched, it looks like the cost will skyrocket.

I presume so.  Fairmont's tuition is much higher than Pierpont's.
Yikes! That would suck. I agree that it wouldn't be just people here who would suffer from the merger.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • ashkir
Oh, that's gonna be painful.
So I stopped hesitating, contacted Nancy Parks, and finally applied.
MSML, WGU 2022
BAS, UMPI, 2021
AAS, Pierpont C&TC, 2021

ACE (119): Sophia, 93; TEEX, 5; SDC, 12; ACTFL, 6
RA (50): ASU, 8; ONU, 3; UMPI, 39
NA (16) : UoPeople, 16
Other: ENEB/Isabel I, MBA (2021)
Also dropped a gazillion of classes!!

Family members work on degrees at Ashworth, TESU, Purdue, UMPI, NationsU
[-] The following 1 user Likes NoStudentNoCry's post:
  • rachel83az
Uh oh.

Trying to set up a new Pierpont account, and got this...

Attached Files
.jpg   Fairmont.JPG (Size: 141.31 KB / Downloads: 73)
Oh no. Sad
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Hopefully it's some sort of premature glitch. It's hard to believe that a piece of legislation that was open for public hearing on Friday could have taken effect already.
fwiw, I tried to log in to my existing Pierpont account (for access to my Pierpont.edu email acct) shortly after ctcarl said something, and I couldn't. A couple of hours later I was finally able to. Actually, over the last week there have been some system glitches.

Oh, I read an article that said a possible name for the the new Pierpont would be "Pierpont College of Community and Technical Education of Fairmont State University"

So PCoC&TEoFSU?  Big Grin

Per a different article, original draft of bill had merger by 7/21/21, but updated version pushed that out another year.
College (146): RA (134), NA (12)
ACE-recommended (105): Sophia (53), Study (28), Google (12), TEEX (10), Institutes (2)
ECTS (69): ENEB (65), LUT (2), XAMK (2)
IN PROGRESS:

Certificate- Google Data Analytics
Bachelor- Cybersecurity Technology (105/120) /
 Organizational Leadership (99/120)
Certification- CompTIA A+
DONE:
Certificate- Google IT Support

Associates- Business Administration /  BoG (History)
Undergrad certificate- Computer Networking
MBA
[-] The following 1 user Likes StoicJ's post:
  • rachel83az
If they do keep the BOG program (which obviously isn't guaranteed at this point), I suppose it would be nice to have a free/mostly free Associate's degree from a university instead of just some random technical college. But who knows at this point if they'll even keep the program.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Pierpont BOG AAS - AoE Graphics Technology Aikuroa 2 82 Yesterday, 06:06 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  credit transfer process at Pierpont for AAS, BOG tdat314 8 500 04-17-2024, 12:49 AM
  Pierpont associates Query Jbloggs 3 165 04-15-2024, 04:02 PM
  International Students for Pierpont BOG AAS Program weelun 18 894 04-13-2024, 03:54 AM
Last Post: stevenphm
  Eligibility and Transfer Credits for Pierpont’s AAS Program akr680 19 699 04-10-2024, 06:45 PM
Last Post: akr680
  Pierpont BOG possible? JohnJ2024 4 784 04-03-2024, 03:53 PM
Last Post: mr_peanutbutter
  Pierpont price hike NOX 12 767 03-26-2024, 01:08 PM
  Update: Pierpont does not require HS Transcripts if you previously attended college Ares 5 673 03-14-2024, 07:09 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Anyone Have Issues Transferring Earned College Credits to Pierpont? Gumbeaux 17 1,057 03-07-2024, 11:38 AM
Information Sophia Courses to Avoid with the Pierpont BOG Degree Ares 24 1,739 02-27-2024, 05:40 AM
Last Post: Ares