Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For those of you into computer science and technology...
(05-30-2020, 05:51 PM)cwendy111 Wrote: Thanks for taking your time to post such a lengthy reply. WGU is designed for the people in this forum. So mad ai didn’t do this sooner. Actually, I tried to, but I wasn’t employed in a Clinical area at the time and it was mandatory then. I have joined the FB forum and have started lurking around. Lots of people in the June group taking pre reqs they could’ve easily completed on Sophia. What a waste! I stupidly missed that I needed a Humanities course. They declined my Ethics and Digital Arts course, so I have to take their Humanities class. ?

I am petrified of the whole APA format thing. Your advice was much appreciated. I am ultra motivated to get this thing done and  will make sure my mentor is onboard.

Loving the “pass is a pass” focus. Nobody will ever see that A+ you worked 2 months for. Was bio chemistry awful? I saw you posted some concerns about it before.

Still am stunned you did it in 2 months. Just WOW!! If I get discouraged, can I PM you?

You can absolutely PM me, however, I don't come on here much, so I might not get to your message in a timely manner. The FB group is full of support and was my best friend during this whole process. Everyone there is literally in the trenches with you. I think I went on the FB group to look things up almost every day. I would again recommend voicing any comments or concerns there as you will receive great feedback in a short time-span.

Regarding biochem, there is also a WGU biochem FB group. I would recommend joining that group and using their study materials beforehand to get a head start. I was so adamant about avoiding biochem that I took it through UC San Diego Extension online and transferred it in before beginning at WGU. I wanted the maximum transfer credits so that I would have the best shot at finishing in one term. I made sure to get in writing from the registrar that the UCSD course would transfer before I enrolled in it. It was a 2-month course that cost me about $600. Prices have gone up since then. Many people recommended to just take it through WGU, but I didn't listen. It worked out for me though. Hindsight is 2020 and even with the addition of a humanities and biochem course you can still finish well within one term, so do not be deterred by that at all.
MSN - Complete
BSN - Complete
ASN - Complete
MA - Complete
BA - Complete
AA - Complete
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hunter91's post:
  • cwendy111
Thanks again. That bio chem story is hilarious! I will join the Fb groups and dig in. It’s my 1st class after Leadership or should I take on Humanities 1st? After those 2, it’s all Nursing. I feel so hyped right now! I hope those papers don’t get me down. But your advice and knowing it can be done will keep me motivated. I’m lurking in the forum now. ?
WGU MBA-Healthcare Management 9/2021
Started 6/2/2021. Finished 8/30/21

WGU MSN-Nursing Informatics 1/2021
Started 8/14/20. Finished 12/28/2020

WGU RN-BSN 8/2020
Started 6/1/20  Finished 7/24/2020
Transferred in Sophia Stats, ICC American Government, SDC Interpersonal Communications, AAS Nursing

Credits Taken
SDC - Interpersonal Communications, Presentation Skills in the Workplace, Intro to Operating Systems, Intro to Programming, Systems Analysis & Design, Database Management - (100% modules, Incomplete Projects)
ICC - American Government
SL - Personal Finance 
TECEP - Medical Terminology
The Institutes - Ethics and the CPCU Code of Professional Conduct 
TEEX - Cyber Ethics, Cyber Law/White Collar Crime
Sophia - Developing Effective Teams, The Essentials of Managing Conflict, Intro to IT, Intro to Statistics, Visual Communications, Human Biology, Project Management
CSM Learn- The CSM Course
DSST - Drugs and Society 436, Here's To Your Health 450, Computing and IT 461
AAS Nursing
> I will join the Fb groups

they have a reddit
https://www.reddit.com/r/WGU

https://old.reddit.com/r/WGU_RNtoBSN/

https://old.reddit.com/r/wgu_devs/

https://old.reddit.com/r/WGU_CompSci/
(05-30-2020, 06:03 PM)Hunter91 Wrote:
(05-30-2020, 05:51 PM)cwendy111 Wrote: Thanks for taking your time to post such a lengthy reply. WGU is designed for the people in this forum. So mad ai didn’t do this sooner. Actually, I tried to, but I wasn’t employed in a Clinical area at the time and it was mandatory then. I have joined the FB forum and have started lurking around. Lots of people in the June group taking pre reqs they could’ve easily completed on Sophia. What a waste! I stupidly missed that I needed a Humanities course. They declined my Ethics and Digital Arts course, so I have to take their Humanities class. ?

I am petrified of the whole APA format thing. Your advice was much appreciated. I am ultra motivated to get this thing done and  will make sure my mentor is onboard.

Loving the “pass is a pass” focus. Nobody will ever see that A+ you worked 2 months for. Was bio chemistry awful? I saw you posted some concerns about it before.

Still am stunned you did it in 2 months. Just WOW!! If I get discouraged, can I PM you?

You can absolutely PM me, however, I don't come on here much, so I might not get to your message in a timely manner. The FB group is full of support and was my best friend during this whole process. Everyone there is literally in the trenches with you. I think I went on the FB group to look things up almost every day. I would again recommend voicing any comments or concerns there as you will receive great feedback in a short time-span.

Regarding biochem, there is also a WGU biochem FB group. I would recommend joining that group and using their study materials beforehand to get a head start. I was so adamant about avoiding biochem that I took it through UC San Diego Extension online and transferred it in before beginning at WGU. I wanted the maximum transfer credits so that I would have the best shot at finishing in one term. I made sure to get in writing from the registrar that the UCSD course would transfer before I enrolled in it. It was a 2-month course that cost me about $600. Prices have gone up since then. Many people recommended to just take it through WGU, but I didn't listen. It worked out for me though. Hindsight is 2020 and even with the addition of a humanities and biochem course you can still finish well within one term, so do not be deterred by that at all.

Just wanted to thank you again! I’m 4 courses down already since 6/1 including the dreaded BioChem being conquered in the wee hours today!!! Should have Nutrition done by tomorrow then Health Assessment. All paper courses after that!!!! Will reach out again soon! Hope all is well!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net

(05-21-2020, 01:10 AM)cwendy111 Wrote:
(05-21-2020, 12:40 AM)indigoshuffle Wrote: [quote pid='309205' dateline='1590037216']

I also don't want to lose momentum, so I am continuing to take courses towards the TESU degree plans. If WGU takes me for June, great, if not I will spend my $ at TESU and may not consider WGU until after I am done with the Capstone. I don't like being in limbo like this. It so isn't cool.

I can understand how that feels. I'm sorry they are holding you up. I wonder if there is someone else at WGU you can talk to. I had an easy go at it, in terms of enrolling. But this COVID thing has been challenging for everyone.
Please, tell me. What does a health care analysts do? Is that case management? How do you get into it?

Yeah, to be so stoked just to get let down is hard. The WGU RN-Nursing Informatics doesn't require a BSN first actually. It is intriguing, but I am a bit of a commitment phobe, so it's a no for me. I'm leaning back to any degree is better than no degree again. I'm nearing the 100 credit mark. The Capstone will be my new nightmare. lol.

So my job initially was helping out when the latest electronic medical record went live at my hospital back in 2007. Due to failed implementations, there was a desperate need for RNs who were tech savvy. First I worked as a super user for my hospital. No patients, just running around helping people use the computer at work. Then I joined the company that came to help us. Doing "Go-Lives" all over the country. Supporting staff using the system in real time. I ended up advancing into training, then eventually the analyst/programmer side of electronic medical records. I got in just by being younger, computer savvy and ambitious at the time. Made seriously good money, left bedside nursing in the dust. Had some personal problems, and during that time, the market got saturated. The balloon burst for consultants so to speak and the education requirements went up in both fields. So here I am. Trying to set myself apart from the pack. Mid life crisis style. lol. 

If I don't get in WGU for June, they are going back of the bus for now. Going to get this degree at TESU and figure out nursing later. Or not. lol. Who knows, maybe TESU will bring their Nursing program into the future by then. A master's would be nice, but I really don't like homework.

(05-21-2020, 01:00 AM)indigoshuffle Wrote:
(05-21-2020, 12:49 AM)bluebooger Wrote: just pick WGU Computer Science bachelors and stick with it                      

stop stressing out about start time and stop with the back and forth of schools and degree plans                
you've rushed through to try and start in June and all you've done is given yourself ulcers

if they take in you June, great            
if they make you wait until July, so what

if you wait you don't have to be in limbo            
just self study for WGU courses that you know you're going to have to take                

you know you have to take Discrete Math, so to go youtube and watch some discrete math tutorials  
here's some recommended sources for discrete math
https://www.reddit.com/r/WGU/comments/88...h_sources/

here's some other recommended sources for wgu courses
https://www.reddit.com/r/WGU_CompSci/com...emastered/

or go watch some videos on java
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...B45C36D411

or C++
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...e8-JGHa4Kt

the Oracle course is supposed to be killer
so you could spend the next month studying and then when you finally start at wgu the course shouldn't be too hard
https://www.reddit.com/r/WGU_CompSci/com...my_course/

anything you do at TESU at this moment won't have time to transfer to WGU so don't waste time and money doing courses for TESU's program

I agree with part of this. I think she should stick with WGU. Don't let the enrollment process break you down. Although, she should keep in mind that WGU a has low-cost RN to MSN program in Nursing Informatics.

Hold on there! I was never enrolling in WGU for Computer Science. I was enrolling for RN-BSN. It isnt my passion, I am doing it because I must, which makes it a bitter pill to swallow. The computer degrees referenced are at TESU. The rush is that I have $5900 I have to spend for the June semester or I lose it. Pell Grant and a baby loan to tide me over. After alot of back and forth, I finally decided on WGU as the plan for RN-BSN, only to be stressed out about paperwork. It shouldn't be so hard to give somebody your money especially over a cut and paste RN-BSN evaluation. 

I can admit that I have a problem getting over things and am quite bitter with WGU over their admission process. SO there is a bit of "Screw them" involved, but mostly it is me needing to not lose out on this money as I will not qualify for financial aide 2020-2021. 

So my plan has to evolve to not lose this money. Thus, back to TESU for a BALS degree. I have already started accumulating credits towards the AOS before I jumped ship to WGU. I am very close. I have also def made some mistakes along my degree path. This could be another one, but I have to work with what I have and what I know. 

Thanks for the links, I do plan to take either C++ or Python toward the TESU degrees. I'm currently taking SDC Intro to Programming which is Java based. I have to admit, CS/COS/IT stuff interests me WAY more than the nursing does.
[/quote]

Thanks for your input guys! I am well into the WGU RN-BSN with 4 courses done since June 1! I banked some classes towards the BALS Or BACS at TESU as well. Knocked off Human Biology 2 days ago piggybacking off of BioChemistry at WGU and moving on to Nutrition now. I’m motivated and making progress in both degree plans. I’m gonna do this!!!! Maybe MS Informatics is in my future, but I didn’t want to over commit by enrolling in it initially. Thanks for helping me focus!

WGU RN-BSN 8/2020
Transferred in Sophia Stats, ICC American Government, SDC Interpersonal Communications, AAS Nursing

Credits Taken
SDC - Interpersonal Communications, Presentation Skills in the Workplace, Intro to Operating Systems, Intro to Programming, Systems Analysis & Design, Database Management - (100% modules, Incomplete Projects)
SL - Personal Finance 
Sophia - Developing Effective Teams, The Essentials of Managing Conflict, Intro to IT, Intro to Statistics, Visual Communications, Human Biology, Project Management
AAS Nursing
That's Amazing! Keep your nose to the grindstone! It will be over before you know it!! Momentum is on your side!
MSN - Complete
BSN - Complete
ASN - Complete
MA - Complete
BA - Complete
AA - Complete
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hunter91's post:
  • cwendy111
(06-16-2020, 11:16 PM)Hunter91 Wrote: That's Amazing! Keep your nose to the grindstone! It will be over before you know it!! Momentum is on your side!

Only 3 courses left now. 10 course done since June 1!!

WGU RN-BSN 8/2020

Credits Taken
SL - Personal Finance 
AAS Nursing
(07-09-2020, 12:34 PM)cwendy111 Wrote: Only 3 courses left now. 10 course done since June 1!!

That's awesome! You might be quicker than me! Especially since you (hopefully) won't have to do C229 d/t covid. That one took me a few weeks. The replacement class, L127 I believe it's called, is much faster and can be done in 1-3 days I've heard.
MSN - Complete
BSN - Complete
ASN - Complete
MA - Complete
BA - Complete
AA - Complete

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AP Computer Science A homeschoolmom1 7 211 03-20-2024, 08:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  So... I decided doing a UK Level 5 on Information Technology, here's why elcastor21 15 861 03-09-2024, 11:54 AM
  Questions regarding IDSS (through the MITx micromaster for data science path) blablablox 0 177 03-06-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: blablablox
  Offspring and Descendents Lead Singers On Why They Got Science PhDs Jonathan Whatley 9 1,204 02-16-2024, 10:37 PM
  Introductory data science courses inor 6 509 02-08-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: fmsoa
  Metropolia Transition to Bachelor of Engineering in Information Technology aleksa 10 1,443 11-09-2023, 03:36 PM
Last Post: aleksa
  Recommendations For 18 LL or 9 UL Social Science Credits harrypotter 3 381 11-08-2023, 07:27 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  So long, computer science — Chaos Studies is the hot new college degree LevelUP 9 1,163 10-15-2023, 11:14 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
Information Coursera Bachelor of Science in Computer Science for $4k! nomaduser 19 3,877 09-16-2023, 06:32 PM
  How Technology Shapes Ideas - University of Chicago Graham School Charles Fout 0 256 09-15-2023, 09:38 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout