Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Foreign degrees online
ladylearner Wrote:Nebrija accepted me. I have very little time to decide if this is the right fit for me, as classes start this week.

Wow, that's great! Congrats on the acceptance!
BA.SS: TESU '17
AA.LS, with Honors: CC '16
CHW Certification: CC '15
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop."― Confucius

B&M University: '92-'95
CC: '95-'16
CLEP: A&I Lit; '08
DSST: HTYH; '08
FEMA: unusable at TESU
IIA: Ethics & CPCU; '15
Kaplan: PLA course; '14,
NFA: 2 CR; '15
SOPHIA: Intro Soc; '15
Straighterline: US History II, Intro Religion, Bus. Ethics, Prin. Mgmt, Cult. Anthro, Org Behavior, American Gov't, Bus. Comm; '15
Study.com: Social Psych, Hist of Vietnam, Abnorm Psych, Research Methods in Psych, Classroom Mgmt, Ed Psych; '16
TECEP: Psych of Women, Tech Writing, Med Term, Nutrition, Eng Comp I; '16
TESU: BA.SS Capstone course; '16

Ended with a total of 170 undergrad credits (plus lots of CEUs). My "I'm finally done" thread
ladylearner Wrote:I will definitely keeps my eyes and ears open for ya.

Nebrija accepted me. I have very little time to decide if this is the right fit for me, as classes start this week.

Wow! That's pretty exciting. Congratulations and please let us know what you decide to do. Wink
ladylearner Wrote:Nebrija accepted me. I have very little time to decide if this is the right fit for me, as classes start this week.

Is there a way to postpone starting the degree this term, while still keeping your "accepted" position? I know here, if you apply and get accepted into a school, and then ask for postponement, they usually say yes (as it's actually a good thing for people to come in for the Spring term since most people don't do that but plenty of people drop out that first semester). Ivy Leagues are especially used to this with people taking a Gap Year to travel. This is also very popular in Europe (the Gap Year). It may buy you a few extra months to make a decision and get everything sorted out in your life before you start.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
dfrecore Wrote:Is there a way to postpone starting the degree this term, while still keeping your "accepted" position? I know here, if you apply and get accepted into a school, and then ask for postponement, they usually say yes (as it's actually a good thing for people to come in for the Spring term since most people don't do that but plenty of people drop out that first semester). Ivy Leagues are especially used to this with people taking a Gap Year to travel. This is also very popular in Europe (the Gap Year). It may buy you a few extra months to make a decision and get everything sorted out in your life before you start.

Thanks, dfrecore. That’s great advice. If I hadn’t already taken nearly 20 gap years, I would probably take some time off. I do have some other shorter term educational goals for my next career so I decided to go for this one now while I’m working my predictable office job.

The program is set up as something like a cohort with admission only once a year. Classes begin this week and each module/class rolls right into the next one for a total of 60 ETCS. I don't know if I can get all my documents in by the deadline. I was asked to present certain documents and now, upon admission I'm being told I can only be conditionally admitted. That annoys me because if I had known, I would have worked on getting those documents.
Associate in Arts - Thomas Edison State University
Bachelor of Arts in Humanities - Thomas Edison State University
pursuing Master's degree, Applied Linguistics - Universidad Antonio de Nebrija

*credit sources: Patten University, Straighterline, Learning Counts, The Institutes, Torah College Credits, Kaplan Open College, UMUC, Thomas Edison State University (guided study liberal arts capstone)
ladylearner Wrote:Thanks, dfrecore. That’s great advice. If I hadn’t already taken nearly 20 gap years, I would probably take some time off. I do have some other shorter term educational goals for my next career so I decided to go for this one now while I’m working my predictable office job.

The program is set up as something like a cohort with admission only once a year. Classes begin this week and each module/class rolls right into the next one for a total of 60 ETCS. I don't know if I can get all my documents in by the deadline. I was asked to present certain documents and now, upon admission I'm being told I can only be conditionally admitted. That annoys me because if I had known, I would have worked on getting those documents.

Hi everyone!

I realized that I never really updated the forum on my learning experience at Nebrija. Now that I'm knee-deep in the program and officially on "spring break" I thought I'd come back and share a little. It's been a challenging experience, as there is a lot of work and there was a lot to get used to. I like that I get to see the professors on camera when we have video conferences (usually 5 or so per class). It's preferable to attend live but they're recorded in case you can't. And there's usually some kind of substitute assignment, which sometimes also serves as proof that you actually watched the recording.

There is a lot to like about the program - mostly the professors and the work itself (at least for a linguistics nerd like me). I especially love that some of the professors have graduated from the same program we're currently in and went on to complete a doctorate at Nebrija as well. I'm looking forward to the face-to-face classes in Madrid this summer. Also, I appreciate that there is a period at the end of the semester for submitting anything that is outstanding. The cost is also a huge plus. It's a little under $7k so even with the trip to Madrid, I'm still spending less than most grad programs in the US - and certainly less than any linguistics program I could find.

There are drawbacks, too, of course. Like mandatory group assignments (ugh), which complicate that extra period at the end of the semester when we can finish up outstanding assignments. We're all on different schedules - not time zones, but actual schedules. So it has been frustrating to group mates who want to work on a project in stages during the week so we have time to collaborate when someone like me can't focus on the assignment until the weekend. I usually collect information as I go along and then do the entire assignment on the weekend. It works for my schedule because of work & family, but it doesn't work within the context of a group. Another drawback is that I have a hard time hearing my classmates in the video conferences. I hear the professors just fine, but not my classmates. This could is probably because some of them are attending while on break from work. I'm not sure who determines the schedule for the video conferences, as they are at odd times (even for Spain hours) like 9 am Spain time, when many students would be working. In my case, these classes are at 3 am and believe it or not, I drag myself out of bed and attend live. The only classes I don't attend are the ones that occur when I'm at work.

This program isn't easy. It requires a thesis, which must be defended. I had hoped to defend my thesis in December but will not have my proposal ready in time for that so I will most likely defend it in April 2018. Still not a bad timeline for a master's degree.
Associate in Arts - Thomas Edison State University
Bachelor of Arts in Humanities - Thomas Edison State University
pursuing Master's degree, Applied Linguistics - Universidad Antonio de Nebrija

*credit sources: Patten University, Straighterline, Learning Counts, The Institutes, Torah College Credits, Kaplan Open College, UMUC, Thomas Edison State University (guided study liberal arts capstone)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Has anyone tried recognizing ENEB/UC1 or UoPeople degrees in Australia? ecdw94 10 854 Yesterday, 01:47 PM
Last Post: ecdw94
  List of Cheap Online MBA Programs That Can Be Completed in Under 1 Year LevelUP 27 17,440 04-07-2024, 02:42 PM
Last Post: David1477
  New Zealand Online Degrees doyouhowdo1 1 334 03-31-2024, 10:46 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Thumbs Up Master in Sustainable Transition - Germany (No Tuition Fee, English, Online Program) kumamon 2 596 03-27-2024, 11:03 PM
Last Post: armado
  Czech 100% online MBA and DBA for 3k/5k David1477 7 491 03-25-2024, 08:34 PM
  New Purdue (Main) online masters in AI smartdegree 7 645 03-20-2024, 04:08 PM
  Cheap Online Software Engineering Masters? yellow_gambit 4 363 03-17-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: nyvrem
  Discerning dubious from legit foreign schools rachel83az 19 5,375 03-14-2024, 06:20 PM
Last Post: Ebbwvale
  Master's in Security Management CBE Online Jeff7 8 580 02-27-2024, 08:07 PM
Last Post: sanantone
Question Cheapest online master's degree in *anything?* profstudent 26 4,689 02-18-2024, 06:34 PM
Last Post: ITdegree