Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
life experience / distance learning / test-for-credit schools based in California?
Is Carnation referring to colleges? Public colleges in Texas require Texas government now. You can't test out of it, and it's not included in any other government course. California might have a combination course that's similar to the one I took that's no longer offered in Texas that combines national and state government.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
RCH Wrote:I've just found out that, as of next year, I'll qualify for an annual grant of up to $16,000 to go towards getting a bachelor's degree. The catch is that the money is provided by the state government of my home state of California, so it will only be granted for study at a college/university that's based in California.

That's disappointing, since I was hoping to take advantage of the life experience credits, distance learning and test-for-credit features of schools like Western Governors or one of the "big three", so I could earn the degree in considerably less than the usual 4 years.

Does anyone know if there are any colleges/universities based in CA that offer some or all of those same features? Any info would be appreciated!

Here's how I would approach this: First, go to the database of all accredited colleges. U.S. Department of Education Database of Accredited Postsecondary Institutions and Programs Use the filters to narrow down the options to regionally accredited schools in your state. This will filter you from 37,000 down to whatever number- but a more manageable one. You should know this goes 100 times faster if you open it in excel, and order it by accrediting agency- then simply delete all the schools that are not regionally accredited through Western Association of Schools and Colleges. This, of course, depends on your level of enthusiasm. Mine would be through the roof.
Now, take out all the community colleges. Finally, pull up the list of colleges in CA that award credit for CLEP by looking here https://www.collegeboard.org/ and start checking out their websites.

$16,000 is a lot of money. If that's for tuition only, you can look for schools that charge around $500 per credit. That's what I paid to take my Harvard Extension classes! I'm assuming you're looking into distance learning, so you can just start working your way through the best contenders and see who fits the degree types you're looking for. Remember ALMOST EVERY school offers classes via distance learning, so you don't have to look for distance learning DEGREES. For instance, you might find an on campus degree where the classes in the major are on campus but the gen eds and a few theory courses can be distance learning- that's also a win. (BSN Nursing would be an example of that)

In my opinion, there will be exactly ONE time in your life when someone gives you $64,000 and that's probably today. Don't short change yourself. Even using a handful of CLEPs takes a semester of classes off the table. If you can find someone that takes 45, you'll be so far ahead of your peers that it's going to be crazy. Aim high, get the BEST degree you can within the parameters you've outlined for yourself. And, CONGRATULATIONS!

P.S. I'd been waiting for something good to be the topic of my 5,000th post - it was this. Smile
The University System of Georgia requires students to take courses about the Constitution of the United States, and the Constitution of the State of Georgia. However, these requirements can be satisfied with a proficiency exam administered at most of the colleges in the system.
[COLOR="#0000FF"] B.S. - COSC (December, 2013) :hurray:
20-Community College Courses (2004-2006)
80-Semester Hours at Western Governors University (2010-2012)
15-Charter Oak State College (2013)
12-CLEP
3-DSST
6-FEMA
If I can do it, ANYONE can do it![/COLOR]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  You've been reading wrong all your life. How to read 1000 pages a day. LevelUP 2 169 04-17-2024, 08:24 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Credit Banking & cheap/free credits - Asking for a friend SweetSecret 7 1,503 04-06-2024, 12:00 PM
Last Post: Rubeferry18
  Worldwide Education Services (WES) Shelf life? nyrsimon 3 228 04-02-2024, 07:35 PM
Last Post: nyrsimon
  Colleges bring back ACT/SAT after finding test-optional policies hurt minorities LevelUP 1 197 03-16-2024, 11:17 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  University of California System Bans Fully Online Degrees davewill 23 3,759 03-01-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,930 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Exclamation Schools that list A+'s on transcript in any way? JumbledSpirit 3 425 02-19-2024, 06:23 PM
  Verified College Credit Transfers TINASAM 0 230 02-19-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: TINASAM
  Tohono O’odham Community College: $34.25 Credit Hour! Ares 3 729 02-07-2024, 12:24 PM
  Test Specific thread dewisant 7 503 01-30-2024, 04:07 PM
Last Post: dewisant