Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Found: $1,500 (TOTAL) At-own-pace Law School
(02-09-2019, 01:59 PM)Ideas Wrote:
(02-09-2019, 10:13 AM)jsd Wrote: Don't forget that the first year dropout rates of those non-ABA schools are a whopping 90%. So the actual bar pass rate is something around 0.22% when you account for them (I did the numbers a few years back in this thread above). Slobodon has passed this benchmark, though, at least.

I saw a documentary about this about 20 years ago. Basically, schools were being somewhat unethical by accepting practically anyone. Many have no idea about the difficulty. I think they were accepting people who had barely passed college courses.

Yep, however, I really like the idea of a meritocracy. It's the principle that community colleges operate under, and you'll see completion rates in the single digits- but that's only a problem if you think people "should" be completing..... which may be a flawed assumption.
I mean really, how many people who bought gym memberships last month are still attending? People are people, and strong follow through is an exceptionally rare quality in people.
(02-09-2019, 10:59 PM)cookderosa Wrote:
(02-09-2019, 01:59 PM)Ideas Wrote:
(02-09-2019, 10:13 AM)jsd Wrote: Don't forget that the first year dropout rates of those non-ABA schools are a whopping 90%. So the actual bar pass rate is something around 0.22% when you account for them (I did the numbers a few years back in this thread above). Slobodon has passed this benchmark, though, at least.

I saw a documentary about this about 20 years ago. Basically, schools were being somewhat unethical by accepting practically anyone. Many have no idea about the difficulty. I think they were accepting people who had barely passed college courses.

Yep, however, I really like the idea of a meritocracy.  It's the principle that community colleges operate under, and you'll see completion rates in the single digits- but that's only a problem if you think people "should" be completing..... which may be a flawed assumption.  
I mean really, how many people who bought gym memberships last month are still attending?  People are people, and strong follow through is an exceptionally rare quality in people.
I prefer the level playing field of easy entry. I think it creates the greater good.  

No one is required to actually attend classes, for example, at NWCU SoL (they could simply view them, as well, after the fact, but, there's no requirement to do that, either - in first year, one is just required to do the few pass/fail assignments, take and be graded on the midterm, which are pre-requisites to being allowed to order up (with goodly notice to the school, a qualified proctor lined up, etc.) and take the finals (the grade in each of four classes in first year - Contracts, Torts, Criminal Law, and Introduction to Law & Legal Writing (there are optional legal writing classes, but, midterms must've been taken and the pass/fail assignments turned in in order to qualify) - is then based, entirely on those two tests), although those who do participate, either live, or via the discussion boards, can secure as much as a full grade bump for doing so.

The people whom I did "meet" in class, though (and I'm sure there were a ton of first-year students whom I never encountered), seemed, to a person, really smart.

Even people who entered into the program way behind me seemed to have quite a grasp on the material.

Of course, maybe these are the strivers who were also wanting that full-grade participation bump, but, there again we've got the same demographic of those who can get in vs. those who take charge of it and accomplish the task at hand.

In truth, I'm the piker of the former category, masquerading as the latter, but, yes, like an ignoble Tim Ferris who wasn't the greatest kickboxer in the world, but learned the trick that got him a title, I'm getting my little pitons in the crevices of the rock and, by not letting go, eventually am finding that I can, indeed - maybe upon a gust of wind - pull myself up.
Sorry to bump an old thread but the links are all dead. I'm currently researching various online law schools. California has a ton but none have title IV funding besides maybe 2 (NCU and Concord).

I did find Lawshelf and its partnership with https://nationalparalegal.edu/ for bachelor's and master's degree programs. It's nationally accredited and does qualify for title IV funding, though.
TCC - AAS in Information Technology 2015
TCC - AAS in IT, Website Management 2015
Coursera - IBM Cybersecurity Analyst Certificate, April 2023
TESU - Bachelor of Arts in Computer Science (105 out of 120 credit hours)
Eastern University or A-State or UT - Austin - Something Artificial Intelligence related most likely
[-] The following 1 user Likes Randyb100's post:
  • sanantone
Not really the same as law school but looks like a great deal if you want to be a paralegal
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(03-28-2023, 04:10 AM)Randyb100 Wrote: Sorry to bump an old thread but the links are all dead. I'm currently researching various online law schools. California has a ton but none have title IV funding besides maybe 2 (NCU and Concord).

I did find Lawshelf and its partnership with https://nationalparalegal.edu/ for bachelor's and master's degree programs. It's nationally accredited and does qualify for title IV funding, though.

National Paralegal College created LawShelf but only accepts a limited number of credits from them. Below is a link to a post made by the dean of NPC.

https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid373514
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(03-28-2023, 11:19 AM)jsd Wrote: Not really the same as law school but looks like a great deal if you want to be a paralegal

They have a graduate division for compliance law and legal studies.  It doesn’t seem that you can practice law with those degrees, but maybe get a decent job in compliance.  ???
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
(03-28-2023, 04:10 AM)Randyb100 Wrote: Sorry to bump an old thread but the links are all dead. I'm currently researching various online law schools. California has a ton but none have title IV funding besides maybe 2 (NCU and Concord).

You need to check here for Title IV eligibility:

Title IV Institution Codes - Finaid

Some of the Cal non ABA law schools and the parent universities that are Title IV:

Taft U (Taft Law School)
National U (JFK Law)
Abraham Lincoln University
San Joaquin College of Law
Thomas Jefferson School of Law

maybe others

Current list of non ABA law schools:

https://www.lsac.org/choosing-law-school...aw-schools
So perhaps I'm missing something here, but the argument I have mostly seen over the past 5 pages worth of posts about Mid Atlantic and its ilk is that it allows you to learn about the law by studying texts that, from what I am reading, are essentially a souped up version of Cliff's Notes for the law profession.

You cannot actually practice law with a degree from these schools, other than by using loopholes and convoluted strategies, none of which seem to actually rely, near as I can tell, on the actual degree from the school. And this assumes one can pass the Herculean effort of passing the CA bar exam, well known to be the toughest in the country.

So my question is... what is the purpose or value of paying $1500 (or whatever) for the privilege of reading a bunch of books (that one presumably has to buy separately, on their own), and writing essays, that one could do on one's own?

I guess I could see the value to some people of having a piece of paper that says you have a law degree, but if the degree is from a school that isn't recognized by anybody, how worthwhile is that piece of paper?
(08-27-2023, 06:03 PM)studyingfortests Wrote: So perhaps I'm missing something here, but the argument I have mostly seen over the past 5 pages worth of posts about Mid Atlantic and its ilk is that it allows you to learn about the law by studying texts that, from what I am reading, are essentially a souped up version of Cliff's Notes for the law profession.

You cannot actually practice law with a degree from these schools, other than by using loopholes and convoluted strategies, none of which seem to actually rely, near as I can tell, on the actual degree from the school.  And this assumes one can pass the Herculean effort of passing the CA bar exam, well known to be the toughest in the country.

So my question is... what is the purpose or value of paying $1500 (or whatever) for the privilege of reading a bunch of books (that one presumably has to buy separately, on their own), and writing essays, that one could do on one's own?

I guess I could see the value to some people of having a piece of paper that says you have a law degree, but if the degree is from a school that isn't recognized by anybody, how worthwhile is that piece of paper?

The California Bar accredited schools offer both online and traditional classes.  To keep their standing they are required to maintain a 40% bar pass rate which isn't bad since the overall California Bar pass rate is under 50% much of time itself. In California a significant portion of practicing attorneys and even judges and prosecutors are alumni of these schools.  The non accredited law schools have a lower bar pass rate nonetheless they do produce practicing lawyers. Since California does not afford reciprocity to non California attorney bar applicants, getting admitted in another state depends on the rules.  DC is the easiest, motion in after 3 or 5 years practice.  Other states may require the applicant to pass the bar or may not recognize the non ABA law degree. 

Unfortunately you may need a lawyer to decode the 50 state requirements:

Comprehensive Guide to Bar Admission Requirements 2021 (americanbar.org)

On the other hand simply "reading for the bar" under attorney supervision which is available in Californ and elsewhere depends on the student and only a tiny fraction of bar applicants go that route.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nicaragua seizes all assets from INCAE Business School elcastor21 0 297 09-26-2023, 04:55 PM
Last Post: elcastor21
Question Poll: Just not sure what to major in for grad school and which direction to go! Randyb100 21 1,525 05-26-2023, 03:26 AM
Last Post: Randyb100
  Can I get a High School Diploma after getting my GED and Associates? IReallyNeedADegree 24 2,587 02-06-2023, 07:13 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Some People Have Found a Novel Way to Get Money to Ukrainians LevelUP 0 508 03-06-2022, 09:53 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  School Psychologists?? Vle045 3 908 01-21-2022, 03:22 AM
Last Post: PrettyFlyforaChiGuy
  U of Michigan removes School President bjcheung77 0 557 01-15-2022, 09:51 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Worst School Name Alpha 13 2,064 10-04-2021, 12:39 PM
Last Post: Marcus Aurelius
  Should taxpayers fund any and every choice in school and/or major? sanantone 14 1,653 08-19-2021, 01:19 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  It's found! No, not Sponge Bob's underpants... bjcheung77 0 509 07-27-2021, 07:09 PM
  Back 2 School - Buy Mac/iPad - get AirPods + 20% off AppleCare bjcheung77 0 672 06-23-2021, 04:59 PM