Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Four to a room!
According to this, they are planning to cram people in dorm rooms at Purdue.  I would hate to live like that. 

https://www.jconline.com/story/news/2021...ps6kDIHiO8
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
Let me guess there's no discount on the room fee even though you're not being crammed in like sardines? I didn't see the room fee mentioned in the article. Convenient?
Wow. They look so crowded. The desks are tiny, and under a bed. There's hardly any work for a student to do work. Plus, college is often where adults start learning about intimate, personal relationships, discovering their sexuality, their tastes, and the other pleasures of life and experimentation. These rooms being so tiny discourage this. Purdue is a public land-grant, so they aren't that religious.

The chairs are very high to the desk ratio, so athletics kids will be hitting their legs all the time. The desks look as if they're designed to be their drawers too. The giant magnetic whiteboard is cool though as a wall. That should defiantly be a standard!

10,000 freshman on campus is A LOT. They're adding an extra 1,200 this year for the 5th year in a row. They had 58,000 applications. They're allowing only 4647 locals, out of state 4643, and 786 international students.

This is 188 square feet per room, with an average of 62 square feet. To have an idea of this, imagine 7 feet by 7 feet. So a 6 foot student can't even lay down and spread their legs and arms out, in an equally divided space.

Here's a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_htKzt6YUeM the furniture is VERY low quality. The studs look bad, the drawers aren't flush. This looks like a quick bulk wood order and thrown together at last minute. The provost can't talk about it in a happy tone. I have a feeling the housing provost was very unhappy about this change and they forced it on her.

Also check out their rates: https://www.housing.purdue.edu/Housing/R...ll-21.html most of these 4 to a room dorms DO NOT HAVE AIR CONDITIONERS. $3,630 is a cheap cost for a dorm, so I'll hand that to Purdue, but, this is such a shitty way to go about it. They should've invested in 1 more building for the dorm, or used COVID to build up or out. A one apartment in the area is $900 a month with 600 square feet. 3 students could do this for CHEAPER, have a full living room, and be able to fit full queen beds for all, and still have privacy etc. 3 bedroom apartments with a full kitchen, two bathrooms, etc, is $16800 a year. Divide this with three students: $5600. They can even divide it further, for example the richer kid can take the master bedroom for like $6800, and the other two pay $5000. The apartments on campus is a great deal too, but I don't know if that is PER PERSON, if it is it's terrible, but if it's meant for a family I hope some smart students can get those asap.

Oh get this. Most of these dorms have a shared bathroom. Over 60 students PER bathroom.... wow.
[-] The following 2 users Like ashkir's post:
  • jch, Vle045
After my Freshman year, I always got a private room. As an only child, it is REALLY hard for me to be in such close proximity to someone ALL THE TIME. I would start to hate them after a while. My freshman roommate was somewhat adaptable as she shared a room with several sisters growing up. Our room was mostly my stuff because she offered some of her space. But then I ended up getting an off campus dorm with a room and a half.

Whomever came up with the idea of packing them in like sardines is an idiot. Add potential new variants of COVID and it’s even worse.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)

I posted this on my Facebook wall and a friend who has a son starting his freshman year told me that his school is offering to pay students to take a gap year. They are doing the same thing with the dorms.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 

There are prison cells bigger than this.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 2 users Like sanantone's post:
  • jch, Vle045
(07-19-2021, 10:47 AM)sanantone Wrote: There are prison cells bigger than this.

That’s true!  These rooms would be fine for a week long retreat or something, but as a primary living space for most of the year…. I’d be popping Advil daily for the headaches and neck cramps I’d be getting.  Where will I put my mini fridge and my TV??  Maybe my days would be spent at the rec center and library.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 

(07-19-2021, 11:50 AM)Vle045 Wrote:

That’s true!  These rooms would be fine for a week long retreat or something, but as a primary living space for most of the year…. I’d be popping Advil daily for the headaches and neck cramps I’d be getting.  Where will I put my mini fridge and my TV??  Maybe my days would be spent at the rec center and library.

TV?!?  Haha!! Kids today don't watch TV.  They have phones.  My kids (19 & 17) NEVER watch TV unless my husband pays for a movie (the new ones that come out instead of going to the theater).

I will say that my dorm room looked exactly like this.  Awful.  2 people in a 10x10 room, it was hell. I quit college after that first year.  For introverts, dorms are a nightmare. I'd have been MUCH happier living at home and going to the local CC.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Vle045
I maybe the minority on this one. I don't really see an issue and I think it's because I've stayed in similar places (some smaller) before, so it's in essence seems normal to me.
In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, HRM

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

(07-19-2021, 03:20 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(07-19-2021, 11:50 AM)Vle045 Wrote:

TV?!?  Haha!! Kids today don't watch TV.  They have phones.  My kids (19 & 17) NEVER watch TV unless my husband pays for a movie (the new ones that come out instead of going to the theater).

I will say that my dorm room looked exactly like this.  Awful.  2 people in a 10x10 room, it was hell. I quit college after that first year.  For introverts, dorms are a nightmare. I'd have been MUCH happier living at home and going to the local CC.
Some of these rooms are 7.5 by 7.5 apparently according to some comments :O

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ashworth Degree Plan Wiggle Room? rowan555 5 837 11-08-2016, 08:17 PM
Last Post: rowan555
  RISE & FALL OF THE SOVIET UNION Study Room DSST ChazW 10 2,396 11-11-2007, 01:53 PM
Last Post: snazzlefrag