Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Free Course Jacksonville State University
Jacksonville State University (AL) is offering a free course on stress management. It is worth 3 hours of RA credit. I'm unsure if it is UL or LL, I can't find any info on their course numbering system.

http://www.jsu.edu/tryit/index.html

[Image: Jacksonville.jpg?Web=1]
[-] The following 5 users Like a_dblu's post:
  • Chimera, jch, Life Long Learning, park0902, Vle045
SW 306 is its course number so it's upper-division. However, it won't be easy to transfer this credit.
"Pass/no credit grading policy" ... it's pass / fail course so you won't get letter grades.
No letter grades generally means you can't transfer it to other institutions.
(07-25-2021, 10:54 PM)nomaduser Wrote: SW 306 is its course number so it's upper-division. However, it won't be easy to transfer this credit.
"Pass/no credit grading policy" ... it's pass / fail course so you won't get letter grades.

I think we would have to contact them for clarification.  It can’t be both 3 credits and no credit.  I’m thinking maybe the pass/no credit is an available option, depending on a student’s need.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
(07-26-2021, 06:55 AM)Vle045 Wrote: I think we would have to contact them for clarification.  It can’t be both 3 credits and no credit.  I’m thinking maybe the pass/no credit is an available option, depending on a student’s need.

The problem as I see it is that while RA credits are the gold standard in terms of transfer credit, many institutions distinguish between pass/fail and letter grade RA credits. And even if a pass/fail course fulfills a degree requirement and is accepted by the insitution, it can't be used towards a student's GPA.
(07-26-2021, 09:11 AM)ctcarl Wrote:
(07-26-2021, 06:55 AM)Vle045 Wrote: I think we would have to contact them for clarification.  It can’t be both 3 credits and no credit.  I’m thinking maybe the pass/no credit is an available option, depending on a student’s need.

The problem as I see it is that while RA credits are the gold standard in terms of transfer credit, many institutions distinguish between pass/fail and letter grade RA credits.  And even if a pass/fail course fulfills a degree requirement and is accepted by the insitution, it can't be used towards a student's GPA.

Transfer credits rarely are included in one's GPA. I have transferred P/F classes in the past. They were RA credit and transferred no problem.
(07-25-2021, 10:54 PM)nomaduser Wrote: SW 306 is its course number so it's upper-division. However, it won't be easy to transfer this credit.

Completely untrue.  Schools will take non-graded credits, they do it all the time.  The Big 3 will take them for sure.

If you're trying to get RA credit for TESU and/or COSC, these will work.  So will TECEP's, which are P/F.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • midnite123
(07-26-2021, 09:24 AM)ss20ts Wrote: Transfer credits rarely are included in one's GPA. I have transferred P/F classes in the past. They were RA credit and transferred no problem.

It is a fact that many institutions distinguish between P/F and letter graded RA credits, which is why we see posts asking specifically for suggestions for letter grade RA credits.

I have completed two degree programs at institutions that are very popular here on DF, and in each case, my GPA was calculated exclusively using letter graded transfer RA credits.

Pierpont in particular requires a number of RA credits, of which a certain number must be letter grade.

This course is a nice find, but the fact that it is P/F definitely limits its potential utility, and anyone considering taking it should verify that it will fit their degree requirements.
(07-26-2021, 09:46 AM)ctcarl Wrote:
(07-26-2021, 09:24 AM)ss20ts Wrote: Transfer credits rarely are included in one's GPA. I have transferred P/F classes in the past. They were RA credit and transferred no problem.

It is a fact that many institutions distinguish between P/F and letter graded RA credits, which is why we see posts asking specifically for suggestions for letter grade RA credits.

I have completed two degree programs at institutions that are very popular here on DF, and in each case, my GPA was calculated exclusively using letter graded transfer RA credits.

Pierpont in particular requires a number of RA credits, of which a certain number must be letter grade.

This course is a nice find, but the fact that it is P/F definitely limits its potential utility, and anyone considering taking it should verify that it will fit their degree requirements.

This is true for just about anything.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • midnite123
(07-26-2021, 09:47 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(07-26-2021, 09:46 AM)ctcarl Wrote:

This is true for just about anything.
Yeah, it is. 

It's also true that letter grade RA credits > P/F RA credits.
(07-26-2021, 09:51 AM)ctcarl Wrote: It's also true that letter grade RA credits > P/F RA credits.

I beg to differ.  GOOD grade RA credits are better than P/F.  A D or an F is definitely NOT better.

The good thing about P/F credits is that they don't affect your GPA. The bad thing about P/F credits is that they don't affect your GPA.  It depends on what grade you would have gotten on that P/F course as to which one it ends up being.
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • midnite123, schristian10

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  American Public University? nomaduser 36 3,439 04-16-2024, 12:15 PM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Credit Banking & cheap/free credits - Asking for a friend SweetSecret 7 1,491 04-06-2024, 12:00 PM
Last Post: Rubeferry18
  Prompt Engineering Course by Vanderbilt University on Coursera LevelUP 2 315 03-23-2024, 05:28 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Graham School - University of Chicago Charles Fout 12 1,717 03-22-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 22 1,765 03-15-2024, 05:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
Lightbulb ASU to Launch a Free Global Initiative and enroll 100 million students MNomadic 203 29,922 03-11-2024, 10:55 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Eastern University Self-Paced online Degrees natshar 2 742 03-06-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: jumlouh
  University of Idaho acquiring University of Phoenix bjcheung77 10 1,310 03-04-2024, 06:26 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  University of California System Bans Fully Online Degrees davewill 23 3,741 03-01-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  LLB University of London Online newdegree 1 400 02-28-2024, 01:46 PM
Last Post: freeloader