Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Free One-Credit Pandemics Course: Warner University
I have transcripts from 5 schools, plus ACE. Yes, it's a pain to get those all sent, but it's not that expensive - I think the range was somewhere from $5 to as much as $15, but I think $10 is about average.

So yeah, it's like $60 if I want to apply somewhere. BUT, considering how much you end up saving by taking these courses, I think you'll still come out way ahead overall.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 5 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • ARhead, Life Long Learning, MNomadic, rachel83az, Tedium
With this course finishing up tonight (though I submitted my final assignments 2 weeks early), I thought I'd post a brief follow up:

Observation 1) this school is very conservative and Christian. I didn't know that ahead of time but it was very apparent when I was doing my class.

2) each week was a different professor and subject (some weeks had 2 professors and subjects), so each week was not consistent.

3) the whole platform and user interface was an eye sore and not a great implementation.

4) I found the first weeks valuable, however they really didn't go very deep into the science/health effects of the pandemic. The later weeks seemed to mostly be sociological impacts on different segments of society. I wish they had consolidated that down to one week so they could spend more time covering subjects that would actually give me a better understanding of the virus currently plaguing society.

5) the recorded lectures were not well done. I felt like some of the professors, talked slow/rambled without a script too much and really could have gotten their information out in under 10 minutes but decided to fill up a 45 minute video anyway.

In summary, I wasn't a fan of this class or school. I can't really complain about free, though.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
Thanks for this. I ended up not continuing due to the platform being so unwieldy . . . and not being tremendously interested in the subject matter. Perhaps in another time, when there were not quite so many free courses about, I might've been more interested, but as it was, other courses have held my interest (and patience!) where this one didn't.

Still, a credit is a credit, so that's one less credit you need to do.

All up, how much time do you think you spent on this? Would you say it was worth it? (in case they offer this again)
(08-17-2020, 01:53 PM)innen_oda Wrote: Thanks for this. I ended up not continuing due to the platform being so unwieldy . . . and not being tremendously interested in the subject matter. Perhaps in another time, when there were not quite so many free courses about, I might've been more interested, but as it was, other courses have held my interest (and patience!) where this one didn't.

All up, how much time do you think you spent on this? Would you say it was worth it? (in case they offer this again)

For me it was not really worth it because I already have an absurd amount of free electives so it doesn't really contribute to my degree. I took it primarily for personal enrichment on a relevant subject but found it very wanting in that sense. Each week only took a few hours at best and the assignments weren't very difficult. 

I'd say if someone needs an RA credit, this is a good opportunity, otherwise, they'd be better served to get their free electives through other cheap/fast sources. That's my opinion though and others may disagree.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
(08-17-2020, 02:08 PM)MNomadic Wrote:
(08-17-2020, 01:53 PM)innen_oda Wrote: Thanks for this. I ended up not continuing due to the platform being so unwieldy . . . and not being tremendously interested in the subject matter. Perhaps in another time, when there were not quite so many free courses about, I might've been more interested, but as it was, other courses have held my interest (and patience!) where this one didn't.

For me it was not really worth it because I already have an absurd amount of free electives so it doesn't really contribute to my degree. I took it primarily for personal enrichment on a relevant subject but found it very wanting in that sense. Each week only took a few hours at best and the assignments weren't very difficult. 

I'd say if someone needs an RA credit, this is a good opportunity, otherwise, they'd be better served to get their free electives through other cheap/fast sources. That's my opinion though and others may disagree.

This is very helpful, thank you! If they offer it again and i have the timr, I might give it a go.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Non-credit Fintech certificate, free, U South Florida freeloader 2 136 04-19-2024, 08:08 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Free cybersecurity training course, entry level cert, and candidate status through is MNomadic 20 4,167 04-19-2024, 01:06 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Free Coursera for Californians ashkir 8 3,000 04-17-2024, 09:49 PM
  Free CUNY 1-credit course - “Bridges to Health Careers/Emerging Trend in Healthcare” ctcarl 9 2,236 02-27-2024, 05:20 PM
Last Post: jch
  University of South Carolina - Free Certificates in Hospitality Management Maniac Craniac 5 1,551 02-15-2024, 12:56 AM
Last Post: BadSquirrelBeta
  Resource: spreadsheet of free courses from Ivy League universities NatsNerd 3 676 02-09-2024, 06:05 PM
Last Post: NatsNerd
  Rutgers - Free Certificate in Leadership & No-Blame Problem Solving Maniac Craniac 5 1,814 02-05-2024, 05:08 AM
Last Post: Ares
  Free Community Health Worker certificate at Berkeley City College staceydiane 12 2,131 02-01-2024, 02:16 PM
Last Post: staceydiane
  Free Certificate in Public Health Practice (w/6 course completion certs) Maniac Craniac 10 1,858 01-30-2024, 05:42 AM
Last Post: MFG
  HP & EdX - FREE Professional Certificate in Esports Mgmt, Game Design & Programming Maniac Craniac 11 1,248 01-22-2024, 07:00 PM