Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Free Video Game Creation Course: 5 to 20 ECTS
The South-Eastern Finland University of Applied Sciences has a free introduction to video game creation course that is worth 5 to 20 ECTS credits.  Enrollment is open until June 30th.

https://www.xamk.fi/en/open-amk-courses/...-creation/
[-] The following 2 users Like eriehiker's post:
  • ARhead, rachel83az
(05-24-2020, 12:16 AM)eriehiker Wrote: The South-Eastern Finland University of Applied Sciences has a free introduction to video game creation course that is worth 5 to 20 ECTS credits.  Enrollment is open until June 30th.

https://www.xamk.fi/en/open-amk-courses/...-creation/

That program looks fairly detailed and they cover a broad cross-spectrum of technologies. I'm tempted to sign up for it just to see how they teach it, and maybe pick up some new tools.

While I wouldn't go through the effort myself, from what I've heard ECTS credits can theoretically be transferred to US semester system credits at a 2:1 ratio. So that could be 10 free undergrad credits towards a degree in game development if you get them evaluated by a foreign credit service and can find a US school willing to accept them.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 2 users Like Merlin's post:
  • ARhead, rachel83az
also found this on the same site

https://www.xamk.fi/en/diploma-of-higher...n-finland/

60 ECTS free ? that's like 30 US credits?
[-] The following 3 users Like nyvrem's post:
  • ARhead, eriehiker, rachel83az
(05-24-2020, 08:12 AM)nyvrem Wrote: also found this on the same site

https://www.xamk.fi/en/diploma-of-higher...n-finland/

60 ECTS free ? that's like 30 US credits?

Registration closed, so doesn't matter.

FYI, 2:1 is only recommended credit conversion rate. E.g. my wife was transferring from her Polish university to college in the US. She had like 20 ECTS in mathematics (covering calculus I-II and differential equations). She didn't get 10 US credits. She got only 6.
MSML, WGU 2022
BAS, UMPI, 2021
AAS, Pierpont C&TC, 2021

ACE (119): Sophia, 93; TEEX, 5; SDC, 12; ACTFL, 6
RA (50): ASU, 8; ONU, 3; UMPI, 39
NA (16) : UoPeople, 16
Other: ENEB/Isabel I, MBA (2021)
Also dropped a gazillion of classes!!

Family members work on degrees at Ashworth, TESU, Purdue, UMPI, NationsU
ECTS are much closer to American CEUs or PDUs, in that it's communicating more the time, than the value. That's not to say you couldn't find a univeristy in the US who might accept a certain amount of ECTS credits, but almost every course in the EU states the amount of ECTS credits; even a short, 3-week language course will tell you the ECTS credits. ECTS are both more regulated but less stringent than American university credit hours. Unless it's from an actual, recognised European university, I'd be very cautious in making any assumptions about transferability.

That said, I am absolutely taking this Video Game course, because it looks incredibly interesting!
[-] The following 1 user Likes innen_oda's post:
  • eriehiker
If you poke around, it looks like they charge a semester fee of 175 euros even though the courses themselves are free. That's still incredibly cheap.

https://www.xamk.fi/en/open-university-o...-sciences/
Update: Signed up. The video game courses are completely free. I do not know about any other courses/diplomas that they may offer.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Free Coursera for Californians ashkir 8 2,830 49 minutes ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Free cybersecurity training course, entry level cert, and candidate status through is MNomadic 18 4,005 04-13-2024, 03:50 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Free CUNY 1-credit course - “Bridges to Health Careers/Emerging Trend in Healthcare” ctcarl 9 2,200 02-27-2024, 05:20 PM
Last Post: jch
  University of South Carolina - Free Certificates in Hospitality Management Maniac Craniac 5 1,529 02-15-2024, 12:56 AM
Last Post: BadSquirrelBeta
  Resource: spreadsheet of free courses from Ivy League universities NatsNerd 3 655 02-09-2024, 06:05 PM
Last Post: NatsNerd
  Rutgers - Free Certificate in Leadership & No-Blame Problem Solving Maniac Craniac 5 1,795 02-05-2024, 05:08 AM
Last Post: Ares
  Free Community Health Worker certificate at Berkeley City College staceydiane 12 2,096 02-01-2024, 02:16 PM
Last Post: staceydiane
  Free Certificate in Public Health Practice (w/6 course completion certs) Maniac Craniac 10 1,813 01-30-2024, 05:42 AM
Last Post: MFG
  HP & EdX - FREE Professional Certificate in Esports Mgmt, Game Design & Programming Maniac Craniac 11 1,215 01-22-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Free Coding Certificate + Stipend TINASAM 0 579 01-14-2024, 09:05 AM
Last Post: TINASAM