Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Free Winter term for Sophia members, Strayer U
ylmir - They mentioned that books are included in the free term, so that's excellent! The bookstore tells me I have a limit to spend on books. It also looks like you can purchase additional items like calculators, flash drives, and writing resources. If your course needs an access code to Wiley, ALEKS, etc., these are also purchased through the bookstore which is nice. You can also use their cost calculator to see what materials are required for other classes (since it preloads your courses). That could come in handy if you want to study for a challenge exam.

It also looks like I can just register for challenge exams and they use ProctorU. I read on their message boards that they recommend discussing challenge exams with your coach first, but it doesn't seem to be a requirement. They have a pretty active message board community.

There are also quite a few upcoming webinars about getting started and being successful, a new student checklist, and a self-paced orientation.

Rachel - I think I filled out the forms from the email they sent me. Then an advisor emailed me (along with some spam-y looking emails). I replied and that got the ball rolling. They'll send you some Docusign forms to fill out. They didn't notify me about my transfer credits, but once you are enrolled you can see them on your profile.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Goldilocks!'s post:
  • rachel83az
Hm, I don't have any special forms. I have "Hi, Rachel, learn how you can transfer to Strayer!", "A college degree. Without all the $$$." and "Why wait? Finish your bachelor's degree for $20K" with links to "Apply Now" in the emails.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Those are their advertising emails, I get so many a day from various institutions of higher education. Oh wells, lucky I signed up with my "other" email address, as I sign up for things with different addresses, depending on what they are...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Okay, so I logged into iCampus. That is Strayer's learning management system. I used the pull-down menu under "Campus and Library" to find the following instructions about taking the challenge exams:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tNsQQZU...sp=sharing

Basically, if you've ever used ProctorU before, you already have an account there. You can use the one you have. Or, if you haven't used ProctorU, you can make a new account there. Once you login to your ProctorU account, you have to go into your own settings - I just clicked on my name at the top right - and I found the option to add a new school to my ProctorU account. I did this and added Strayer University.

Once I did this, I was able to just go to the normal ProctorU scheduling system and schedule an exam. It is actually a pretty impressive list of challenge exams and I decided to pick one that I thought would be easy. I picked the "College Algebra with Applications" exam. There was an immediate opening and I thought, what the hey, let's take it.

Everything was going great with the proctor until he tried to load the exam for me. Strayer apparently uses ALEKS for this test. The proctor pulled up the ALEKS page, entered the code that he was given by Strayer and it didn't work. Probably just a bad code, but it meant that I was not taking that exam tonight.

As a proof of concept, I don't think that there is much of anything stopping anyone who is now in Strayer's system from just taking all the exams. I would say that I think these exams will take some studying. I am planning to pick a couple that I don't really care about as test cases to see how these exams are structured.
[-] The following 2 users Like eriehiker's post:
  • dfrecore, rachel83az
I just finally got my enrollment through and am scheduled for two very basic courses, ECO110 and WRK100 the most basic that they could get me into considering my initial credit evaluation. they are essentially "success" courses about the basics of personal finance and good habits to have in life. I was automatically enrolled in them with not even a chance for input in the process, so I replied to my advisor very politely and asked if I could get into different courses, saying that I would like to see and evaluate Strayer's best offerings, and that these would likely not be a good representation of their broader curriculum. Hopefully he will let me switch out. I also didn't get any bookstore credit yet, unfortunately. I will be back as soon as I have an update.
Just replied to the first not completely generic email Strayer has sent me. Fingers crossed that they allow me to sign up. With the TESU fiasco, having a few extra RA credits as a safety net would be nice.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
(12-17-2020, 08:26 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Just replied to the first not completely generic email Strayer has sent me. Fingers crossed that they allow me to sign up. With the TESU fiasco, having a few extra RA credits as a safety net would be nice.

That's a very good plan!  And if you can take a challenge exam or two, that would also be great.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(12-17-2020, 08:33 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(12-17-2020, 08:26 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Just replied to the first not completely generic email Strayer has sent me. Fingers crossed that they allow me to sign up. With the TESU fiasco, having a few extra RA credits as a safety net would be nice.

That's a very good plan!  And if you can take a challenge exam or two, that would also be great.

That's the plan, anyway. At $20 a pop, I might even take a couple random exams just for the heck of it. I've spent more on pizza than the cost of one of their exams...
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Submitted an actual application to Strayer just now. According to the email I got, the auto-enrollment thing is something you can opt into/out of, so that's nice. I will not be opting into that if I am accepted for the winter term! Now I'm just waiting for the email saying that my application was received so that I can login and continue with the process.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Does anyone else who enrolled in the free term have an account balance showing in their dashboard? It's showing the full cost of courses in my account. I reached out to my "coach" last week with no response. I submitted a support ticket about it a day or two ago and no response there either. I don't want to buy my course materials or even open my laptop until I know this is straightened out. Also, I just noticed my coach is now changed to someone else. I read about their lack of communication and switching coaches on Strayer's own message boards.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Non-credit Fintech certificate, free, U South Florida freeloader 2 149 04-19-2024, 08:08 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Free cybersecurity training course, entry level cert, and candidate status through is MNomadic 20 4,193 04-19-2024, 01:06 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Free Coursera for Californians ashkir 8 3,020 04-17-2024, 09:49 PM
  Free CUNY 1-credit course - “Bridges to Health Careers/Emerging Trend in Healthcare” ctcarl 9 2,241 02-27-2024, 05:20 PM
Last Post: jch
  University of South Carolina - Free Certificates in Hospitality Management Maniac Craniac 5 1,558 02-15-2024, 12:56 AM
Last Post: BadSquirrelBeta
  Resource: spreadsheet of free courses from Ivy League universities NatsNerd 3 683 02-09-2024, 06:05 PM
Last Post: NatsNerd
  Rutgers - Free Certificate in Leadership & No-Blame Problem Solving Maniac Craniac 5 1,826 02-05-2024, 05:08 AM
Last Post: Ares
  Free Community Health Worker certificate at Berkeley City College staceydiane 12 2,138 02-01-2024, 02:16 PM
Last Post: staceydiane
  Free Certificate in Public Health Practice (w/6 course completion certs) Maniac Craniac 10 1,871 01-30-2024, 05:42 AM
Last Post: MFG
  HP & EdX - FREE Professional Certificate in Esports Mgmt, Game Design & Programming Maniac Craniac 11 1,259 01-22-2024, 07:00 PM