Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Free Winter term for Sophia members, Strayer U
(01-12-2021, 05:03 PM)jch Wrote: That's the confirmation right there. Because Strayer lists challenge exam credits under transfer credits, TESU won't take anything. 

I thought it was odd the first time it was discussed here - Strayer listing it as transfer credit.  If they won't move it (and I imagine they won't), then it's of no value.

So weird that they put it as transfer credit in the first place.  Challenge exam, yes. Transfer, no. So goofy.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
TESU won't be able to do anything until Strayer corrects it on their end.  You are going to have to correct Stayer's way of "stamping" these in their transcripts, it has to come in as a course completed and not as a transferred course into their programs.  Otherwise, TESU is looking for a "transferred" course from another provider... Once this is sorted out on Strayer's end, hopefully, you'll be able to transfer them...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(01-12-2021, 05:21 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I thought it was odd the first time it was discussed here - Strayer listing it as transfer credit.  If they won't move it (and I imagine they won't), then it's of no value.

So weird that they put it as transfer credit in the first place.  Challenge exam, yes. Transfer, no. So goofy.

I have sent an appeal to the Strayer registrar requesting that they move it. Additionally, I have sent an appeal to TESU asking them to reconsider the evaluation. Upon a closer look, it could be argued that the test credits section on Strayer transcripts is not within transfer credits, but actually after them. However, it's definitely not within the undergraduate record section. 

Stand by for updates of course. 

My Strayer courses are going well. Both CIS110 and CIS111 use somewhat slick online tutorial systems. With the exception of weekly discussions, daily bonuses, and a few later assignments, everything is within those tools. All problems can be attempted unlimited times until a full score is attained. It's possible to skip directly to the questions, as the readings and videos are not required. Both classes provide detailed step by step instructions and video walkthroughs for all problems if needed. Those resources essentially hold your hand throughout the entire question, and stop just short of giving you the answer outright. I'm a few weeks ahead in the content for both courses, which will give me some time for ASU EA and CompTIA.
TESU Class of 2024 BSBA-CIS+GM, BSIT, ASNSM-CS+Math, AAS-GEN
Earned credits from Sophia, SDC, ASU ULC, TEEX, Microsoft, Strayer, TESU, Saylor, DSST, CLEP, CompTIA, StraighterLine, and others since starting in April 2020
(01-12-2021, 06:58 PM)jch Wrote: Additionally, I have sent an appeal to TESU asking them to reconsider the evaluation. Upon a closer look, it could be argued that the test credits section on Strayer transcripts is not within transfer credits, but actually after them. However, it's definitely not within the undergraduate record section. 

TESU already got back to me this morning with a helpful reply:

Quote:Thanks for the inquiry. After reviewing your Strayer University transcript, the course CIS170 does appear in the Test Credits section of your transcript, following the traditional transfer credit section. However, this course is also listed with a summary description of "Transfer Total", a grade that mirrors your other transferred courses, and is listed separate from the "Beginning of Undergraduate Record" section of your Strayer transcript. In order for TESU to award credit for coursework directly from an institution, the courses must be indicated as institutional based credit. Your current documentation does not adhere to this guideline, therefore credit has not been awarded at this time.

I would recommend contacting Strayer University and asking to have your official transcript updated so that this SU test credit is listed as institutional based credit, and void of any aspects that may reflect a transferred course. If Strayer is unable to update their official transcript to satisfy this request, you could request that an official transcript addendum be submitted to TESU that identifies and confirms that CIS170 was completed and awarded credit through their institution. This document should be completed and signed by the Strayer University Registrar and mailed to TESU

While not a victory, this is a step forward. It seems that TESU may be willing to grant credit if Strayer will simply certify that they were the issuing institution for those credits. That may be an easier bridge to cross than convincing Strayer to change their transcription system.
TESU Class of 2024 BSBA-CIS+GM, BSIT, ASNSM-CS+Math, AAS-GEN
Earned credits from Sophia, SDC, ASU ULC, TEEX, Microsoft, Strayer, TESU, Saylor, DSST, CLEP, CompTIA, StraighterLine, and others since starting in April 2020
[-] The following 2 users Like jch's post:
  • ARhead, rachel83az
That's still a challenge but it does sound like great news after all!
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
I planned to take the BUS 335: Staffing Organizations challenge exam tonight. However, after the proctor entered the ID and password for the exam, the site stated that the exam had been archived and was no longer available. They tried a few things, but I knew that the result wouldn't be good.

I am currently 4 for 6 on these exams. I have passed BUS 405 (84%), CIS 170 (78%), FIN 320 (76%) and BUS 325 (76%). I did not pass POL 300 (68%) nor CRJ 105 (No score posted so far.). I was trying to set up a pattern in which I would alternate difficult and easier exams so that I could study for the hard ones and just take the test for the easier ones. However, that has been a poor strategy because I failed both exams that I thought would be "easy." So, I think that my baseline for taking these exams cold is in the 60+ percent range and I need to study to pull above 70.

Oh, one additional comment. I have noticed that some of these exams seem to have a large number of True/False questions. The CRJ 105 exam was like this. To me, this made the exam more difficult than the exams that are mostly multiple choice. This would seem counter-intuitive. However, I think that T/F makes the questions more general in nature and more difficult to get right than the multiple choice questions.
[-] The following 2 users Like eriehiker's post:
  • jch, rachel83az
I tried taking the BUS 407: Training and Development exam this evening. Again, the system indicated that this exam has also been archived and is not available. So, I would avoid that one.
[-] The following 1 user Likes eriehiker's post:
  • jch
Well that was an interesting read. I hope it all works out for everyone.
I wonder what those who started climbing the tree from the bottom would do in this situation?.... aha....
(01-19-2021, 06:04 PM)ARhead Wrote: Well that was an interesting read. I hope it all works out for everyone.
I wonder what those who started climbing the tree from the bottom would do in this situation?.... aha....

Probably sit back and wait for Strayer to do everything for them.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
I tried taking LEG 110 Civil and Criminal Procedures and once again got the "exam archived" error message. I called my adviser because I thought that maybe challenge exams had ended. He didn't seem to think so. He also didn't think that it was a specific account issue for me. Has anyone else tried a challenge exam lately?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Free CUNY 1-credit course - “Bridges to Health Careers/Emerging Trend in Healthcare” ctcarl 9 2,092 02-27-2024, 05:20 PM
Last Post: jch
  University of South Carolina - Free Certificates in Hospitality Management Maniac Craniac 5 1,424 02-15-2024, 12:56 AM
Last Post: BadSquirrelBeta
  Resource: spreadsheet of free courses from Ivy League universities NatsNerd 3 585 02-09-2024, 06:05 PM
Last Post: NatsNerd
  Rutgers - Free Certificate in Leadership & No-Blame Problem Solving Maniac Craniac 5 1,709 02-05-2024, 05:08 AM
Last Post: Ares
  Free Community Health Worker certificate at Berkeley City College staceydiane 12 2,023 02-01-2024, 02:16 PM
Last Post: staceydiane
  Free Certificate in Public Health Practice (w/6 course completion certs) Maniac Craniac 10 1,696 01-30-2024, 05:42 AM
Last Post: MFG
  HP & EdX - FREE Professional Certificate in Esports Mgmt, Game Design & Programming Maniac Craniac 11 1,120 01-22-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Free Coding Certificate + Stipend TINASAM 0 498 01-14-2024, 09:05 AM
Last Post: TINASAM
  ASU Sustainable Earth Business Sustainability Courses, Free Online Jonathan Whatley 3 612 12-26-2023, 04:45 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Gav 4 Free (Gavilan College) MissRN 14 4,755 09-18-2023, 09:13 PM
Last Post: Randyb100