Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Free phone service SipGate+Google voice
I set it up today Smile It's still buggy but I can send and receive calls for free. I'm actually planning to drop my cell phone service and just use this. My aquarium PC will now double as a telephone!
Please stop corporate child abuse, learn about World Wide Association of Specialty Programs and other "troubled teen" facilities that abuse kids and cheat parents:
http://www.time.com/time/health/article/...82,00.html
http://cafety.org/films/765-whos-watchin...ontana-pbs

The Goal:
A.S. From Excelsior

>>>COMPLETE!

63 FEMA courses complete 1/2/10
4 NFA courses Complete 1/5/10
A+ (Computer Repair)
N+ (Networking)
MCP XP PRO (Microsoft Certified Professional)
AP English Literature
ALEKS Beginning Algebra
ALEKS Intermediate Algebra
ALEKS College Algebra
ALEKS TRIG.
ALEKS Intro to STATS
Straighterline Macro Econ
Straighterline Micro Econ
Straighterline Accounting I
Straighterline Accounting II
Penn Foster Info Literacy
Penn Foster Art Appreciation
Penn Foster Music Appreciation
Penn Foster Psychology
Is it still working? I'm just wondering.. after our wasted time and money on Magic Jack, I'm a little hesitant. I read good reviews about MJ but the audio quality was so bad, the kids couldn't even use it for their phone. 20 bucks and an hour or so to set it up down the drain..
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
are you sure this is good?

what makes it better than lets say magic jack?
DSST Environment & Race to Save Humanity *  51/80 Clep CIS  63/80
College Math  66/80 * DSST Business Law II  -  No Pass
Principles of Mgmt  61/80 * A/I Lit  51/80 retest 61/80
Social Sciences and History -  66/80  -  A * Freshman Composition  -  60/80
Intro to Computers  426 -Current System - p/f = pass * Intro to Modern Middle East Studies -  61/80
Human Cultural Geography  -  61/80 * US History I  - A   -61/80
US History II - A  68/80 * Civil War  -  A   57/80
Intro to World Religions  - A  68/80 * Intro to Bus Law -  64/80    A
Public Speaking 55/80  A * MIS 429/500 * Statistics 459/500 * MacroEconomics  57/80
MicroEconomics   53/80 (ran out no money in meter) * Criminal Justice 418/500
English Comp with Essay 58/80 * Personal Finance 406/500 (Ran thru IC once & test once... 40 minutes/98 questions.. close call) 
Principle of Supervision -  436/500 * Clep American Government 67/80  
FEMA's Completed - 49 (sorry i'm addicted to them).

BA - Criminal Justice - Central State University
AAS - Computer Science - TESU
AAS - BOG - Info Tech - Pierpont
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member
creationstory Wrote:what makes it better than lets say magic jack?
It's free :hurray:

Also, you can have your Google Voice number ring all of your phones. I take most of my calls on my computer, but when I am out, I still get calls on my cell phone.
SMS, SGB, GEN, NG, TG16, NES, SNES

[Image: ccoDZ6X.png]

In my opinion, Skype offers a much better VOIP service, but it is not free. If I one day have to pay for Google Voice, I might switch to Skype.

EDIT: I do use the free features of Skype though, and they're awesome!

I just checked out the SipGate website. The service looks nice, but I fear that the company will either dissolve quickly, leaving my number and contact list for dead, or, and you KNOW this will happen, be bought out by Google anyway.

They've been around since 2004 I think, so hopefully it will last, also their service seems more successful in the UK. If it fails there are other services out there this should work (I hope) and the phone number people see is the google voice number not the sipgate number; therefore, if siggate fails I still have my number.

Also notable: Their software worked great for me in Vista but horribly in seven. I downloaded a different softphone app, inputted my SIP credentials and now all the bugs are gone. It's called MizuPhone free edition. The User/Password is not what you use to login to sippgate it's your "SIP Credentials" which seem to be an arbitrary string of numbers and letters.
Please stop corporate child abuse, learn about World Wide Association of Specialty Programs and other "troubled teen" facilities that abuse kids and cheat parents:
http://www.time.com/time/health/article/...82,00.html
http://cafety.org/films/765-whos-watchin...ontana-pbs

The Goal:
A.S. From Excelsior

>>>COMPLETE!

63 FEMA courses complete 1/2/10
4 NFA courses Complete 1/5/10
A+ (Computer Repair)
N+ (Networking)
MCP XP PRO (Microsoft Certified Professional)
AP English Literature
ALEKS Beginning Algebra
ALEKS Intermediate Algebra
ALEKS College Algebra
ALEKS TRIG.
ALEKS Intro to STATS
Straighterline Macro Econ
Straighterline Micro Econ
Straighterline Accounting I
Straighterline Accounting II
Penn Foster Info Literacy
Penn Foster Art Appreciation
Penn Foster Music Appreciation
Penn Foster Psychology
I wonder how well this solution would work with Virgin Mobile and their $25 per month 300M/UnlimData/UnlimMessaging plan? With that plan you can have the Android Intercept, which is obviously Google voice friendly. I have heard that Sipgate works and with the unlimited data plan, calls would be free. The 300 Anytime minutes could serve as a backup, all the while having service everywhere you go (in the Sprint service area that is.)

Of course I understand that one could share their data plan, even without having to root the device.

Anyone played with this setup? I like the idea of prepaid service as well.
I still don't get why you would use SipGate when you could just use Google Voice on its own :confused:

RE: the above post. It works out fantastically! I used to be cell phone only, but since I got Google Voice, I make most of my calls from my computer, so I save a ton of money on cell phone minutes. In fact, I use my cell phone so little now that the 300 minutes I get from Virgin Mobile seems like overkill and I may soon switch to a pay-as-you-go plan for even more savings (this would be even better if my replacement Peek proves itself to be a reliable device). I also prefer to do most of my texting and email from my computer, whereas I used to do it all on my Blackberry.

Google Voice has been fantastic for me, and my reduced cell phone bill (from $95 to $25 a month!!) has made a huge impact on my expenses. I'm saving $840 per year, thats more than 1 month of my rent, or, more than my YEARLY electric and gas bills combined!

marylynh Wrote:I wonder how well this solution would work with Virgin Mobile and their $25 per month 300M/UnlimData/UnlimMessaging plan? With that plan you can have the Android Intercept, which is obviously Google voice friendly. I have heard that Sipgate works and with the unlimited data plan, calls would be free. The 300 Anytime minutes could serve as a backup, all the while having service everywhere you go (in the Sprint service area that is.)

Of course I understand that one could share their data plan, even without having to root the device.

Anyone played with this setup? I like the idea of prepaid service as well.

might work.. never tried virgin mobile with it..

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/04/techno...04app.html

Download Skype for Android App | Free VOIP Solution Free calls Worldwide

Unlimited voice, text and data for $30 per month? – Android and Me

Gizmo5 Has Been Acquired by Google

this might be more interesting though..

Virgin Mobile Free VoIP Calling on Android: Of Mice & Men | PhoneNews.com
DSST Environment & Race to Save Humanity *  51/80 Clep CIS  63/80
College Math  66/80 * DSST Business Law II  -  No Pass
Principles of Mgmt  61/80 * A/I Lit  51/80 retest 61/80
Social Sciences and History -  66/80  -  A * Freshman Composition  -  60/80
Intro to Computers  426 -Current System - p/f = pass * Intro to Modern Middle East Studies -  61/80
Human Cultural Geography  -  61/80 * US History I  - A   -61/80
US History II - A  68/80 * Civil War  -  A   57/80
Intro to World Religions  - A  68/80 * Intro to Bus Law -  64/80    A
Public Speaking 55/80  A * MIS 429/500 * Statistics 459/500 * MacroEconomics  57/80
MicroEconomics   53/80 (ran out no money in meter) * Criminal Justice 418/500
English Comp with Essay 58/80 * Personal Finance 406/500 (Ran thru IC once & test once... 40 minutes/98 questions.. close call) 
Principle of Supervision -  436/500 * Clep American Government 67/80  
FEMA's Completed - 49 (sorry i'm addicted to them).

BA - Criminal Justice - Central State University
AAS - Computer Science - TESU
AAS - BOG - Info Tech - Pierpont
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cell Phone Deal - OnePlus Nord 30 - Best Buy $0 plus cost for X days service bjcheung77 6 778 03-06-2024, 06:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Customer Service Alpha 1 487 08-16-2022, 09:12 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Video Uncle Tom Movie Now Free on YouTube LevelUP 5 1,251 07-22-2022, 12:10 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Free Pair of Prescription Glasses! Add-ons available... bjcheung77 7 1,253 05-12-2022, 08:55 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  Got a product or service? Shark Tank... bjcheung77 0 461 04-03-2022, 06:02 PM
  24yr Google Engineer Saves 80% Of His Income & Plans to Retire by 30 With $1 Million LevelUP 13 1,488 03-09-2022, 03:19 AM
Last Post: Messdiener
  Mail forwarding/scanning service - International bjcheung77 4 917 01-19-2022, 09:58 AM
Last Post: Kab
  PDF Converter by Readdle (Free for ios - ipad/iphone) bjcheung77 0 723 01-10-2022, 02:02 AM
  Pixel 6 - I am eyeing this phone today! bjcheung77 3 664 11-28-2021, 10:55 PM
  FREE editing and video production software bjcheung77 11 3,489 11-20-2021, 06:01 PM
Last Post: Eneys