Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Free summer courses at Lumerit/Unbound?
(03-19-2019, 06:38 PM)AMRH94 Wrote:
(03-19-2019, 04:25 PM)cookderosa Wrote: This is their ENTIRE list of courses they offer for college credit. These are ACE courses, not regionally accredited courses.  The other courses they offer are strictly curriculum (like a MOOC) that you can use to prep for a CLEP, etc.  That's some damn expensive ACE credit.  

SOC240: Community Service Learning
BUS201: Introduction to Entrepreneurship
ENG131: Composition and Reading I
ENG131: Composition and Reading II
PHIL113: Comparative Worldviews
PSI131: Earth Science, Earth Science with Lab
COMM396: Leadership and Management Com (not upper level)
COMM394: Leadership Theory and Practice (not upper level)
SOSCI280: Social Justice from a Biblical Perspective

While I'm no fan of Lumerit/Unbound and certainly wouldn't recommend them, this information is simply untrue. 

Lumerit's courses ARE regionally accredited through Waldorf University. After completing the courses through Lumerit I had to request my transcripts directly from Waldorf. I can confirm that they appear on a TESU transcript from Waldorf with a letter grade.

That's not how regional accreditation works. You have to be a college to be RA - so if your courses are on a Waldorf transcript (which I don't doubt, but would love to see how they appear just for my own curiosity) then Waldorf has a special arrangement with Lumerit. Still, that is not the same as Lumerit having RA or offering courses that are RA. It's impossible that they would have RA.
They way they appear on the Waldorf transcript matters. My email is cookderosa@gmail.com if you're willing to show me. I could be wrong of course.

Separately, the list is accurate. That is their current ACE list.
(03-20-2019, 01:06 PM)cookderosa Wrote:
(03-19-2019, 06:38 PM)AMRH94 Wrote: While I'm no fan of Lumerit/Unbound and certainly wouldn't recommend them, this information is simply untrue. 

Lumerit's courses ARE regionally accredited through Waldorf University. After completing the courses through Lumerit I had to request my transcripts directly from Waldorf. I can confirm that they appear on a TESU transcript from Waldorf with a letter grade.

That's not how regional accreditation works.  You have to be a college to be RA - so if your courses are on a Waldorf transcript (which I don't doubt, but would love to see how they appear just for my own curiosity) then Waldorf has a special arrangement with Lumerit.  Still, that is not the same as Lumerit having RA or offering courses that are RA. It's impossible that they would have RA.  
They way they appear on the Waldorf transcript matters.  My email is cookderosa@gmail.com if you're willing to show me.  I could be wrong of course.

Separately, the list is accurate.  That is their current ACE list.

I agree with cookderosa, Lumerit's courses aren't RA - they can't be since they aren't a school.

Westcott Courses has a similar format (it seems so anyway) and here's what they say on their website:

Westcott Courses is the teacher of the course, and the official transcript with academic semester credits comes from our partner university, Brandman University who is regionally accredited by WASC. Westcott Courses does not appear on the transcript; the transcript shows our courses the same way it would show a traditional class taken at the university's campus.

I am not certain how they get away with this, but at least the courses through Westcott are a lot cheaper than Brandman's $500/cr.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(03-20-2019, 11:00 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(03-19-2019, 06:38 PM)AMRH94 Wrote: While I'm no fan of Lumerit/Unbound and certainly wouldn't recommend them, this information is simply untrue. 

That's not how regional accreditation works.  You have to be a college to be RA - so if your courses are on a Waldorf transcript (which I don't doubt, but would love to see how they appear just for my own curiosity) then Waldorf has a special arrangement with Lumerit.  Still, that is not the same as Lumerit having RA or offering courses that are RA. It's impossible that they would have RA.  
They way they appear on the Waldorf transcript matters.  My email is cookderosa@gmail.com if you're willing to show me.  I could be wrong of course.

I agree with cookderosa, Lumerit's courses aren't RA - they can't be since they aren't a school.

Westcott Courses has a similar format (it seems so anyway) and here's what they say on their website:

Westcott Courses is the teacher of the course, and the official transcript with academic semester credits comes from our partner university, Brandman University who is regionally accredited by WASC. Westcott Courses does not appear on the transcript; the transcript shows our courses the same way it would show a traditional class taken at the university's campus.

I am not certain how they get away with this, but at least the courses through Westcott are a lot cheaper than Brandman's $500/cr.

According to Unbound's website, their courses are "regionally transcripted." Between that and putting the course on Waldorf letterhead it would be easy to make the leap in one's mind that they are regionally accredited. But if they were RA, they would say it on their website. Kinda tricky. 

From their website:

Quote:Will my college accept these courses?

Every course we offer is regionally transcripted. This allows these courses to transfer to virtually any college that accepts transfer credit. To verify these courses will transfer to your college, you’ll receive degree planning.
[url=https://getunbound.org/plan][/url]
(03-19-2019, 06:38 PM)AMRH94 Wrote:
(03-19-2019, 04:25 PM)cookderosa Wrote: This is their ENTIRE list of courses they offer for college credit. These are ACE courses, not regionally accredited courses.  The other courses they offer are strictly curriculum (like a MOOC) that you can use to prep for a CLEP, etc.  That's some damn expensive ACE credit.  

SOC240: Community Service Learning
BUS201: Introduction to Entrepreneurship
ENG131: Composition and Reading I
ENG131: Composition and Reading II
PHIL113: Comparative Worldviews
PSI131: Earth Science, Earth Science with Lab
COMM396: Leadership and Management Com (not upper level)
COMM394: Leadership Theory and Practice (not upper level)
SOSCI280: Social Justice from a Biblical Perspective

While I'm no fan of Lumerit/Unbound and certainly wouldn't recommend them, this information is simply untrue. 

(03-20-2019, 11:00 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

I didn't mean to imply that Lumerit has RA; I understand that they do not. Because CollegePlus/Lumerit/Unbound is constantly evolving as a company, its difficult to keep up. 

The relationship between Lumerit and Waldorf appears to be very similar to what you describe above between Westcott and Brandman. Except for the nine courses cookderosa mentioned above that are transcripted through ACE, I believe the other 40 + courses that can be completed through Lumerit are transcripted through Waldorf who has RA. 

I completed a total of ten courses through Lumerit. One of them (Comparative Worldviews) was transcripted though ACE, while the remaining nine were through Waldorf. This is the link that I used to get my transcripts: https://www.waldorf.edu/faculty-staff/de...transcript

Like defrecore mentioned above with regards to Westcott, Lumerit does not appear on the transcript and the courses appear on my TESU academic eval as Waldorf courses with a letter grade. I was told that these courses would factor into my TESU GPA. 

I fail to see why it's incorrect to refer to these courses as regionally accredited. Completing theses courses through Lumerit is equivalent to completing them through Waldorf, and Waldorf has RA.
TESU BSBA Accounting 2019 (In progress)
We used to use the term "laundering" around here when FHSU used to not list the source of Straighterline courses on their transcript. TESU caught on to the laundering of FEMA IS courses, so don't let them find out about this.

The credits aren't RA; Waldorf is just hiding their source.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
If Waldorf is willing to delegate out course instruction to Lumerit/Unbound and issue a graded credit without ever disclosing the source of the credit, then more power to the Waldorf student. That's a loophole, and it will serve students who want to want to save a little money.
Since Lumerit charges $5400 for 8 courses (assuming 24 credits) you're paying $225 per credit whereas a student at Waldorf in their online program will pay $295 per credit, so there is a savings of $70 per credit this way ($1680 for 1 year)

That said, what they're doing at THIS school is unique, which is why their relationship- not the credit- results in the courses being successfully transferred. To frame this differently, had you tried to send your credits to a community college in North Carolina, you'd get zero. The credit isn't RA. Some of their credit is ACE evaluated (see list above). But their relationship with Waldorf is why this is on a transcript.

I think it's great that it worked for you (I would still like to see the transcript if you'd allow me to) but this isn't going to work this way for others, unless they go to Waldorf of course.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 7 376 03-23-2024, 03:16 AM
Last Post: Kab
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 464,651 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 7 6,794 03-16-2024, 06:45 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,393 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  FREE Voucher for Microsoft AI Skills Challenge coming soon - potential ACE credits BritStudent 7 401 03-07-2024, 12:35 PM
  TEEX Cyber Security Courses / non US residents BritStudent 6 546 03-03-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 968 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
Thumbs Up Sophia Review: Finished 6 Courses in 1 Week Ares 11 1,805 02-11-2024, 04:54 PM
Last Post: Ares
  Equivalents for Old SNHU Gen Ed Courses Spalmer 6 537 02-11-2024, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Spalmer
  SeeMore courses other than CSM (or: has anyone transferred a non-ACE/NCCRS course?) vaticidalprophet 5 307 01-24-2024, 01:58 PM