Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
From High School to USAF Fighter Pilot
It is really ridiculous how much service academies spend. Navy OCS was rough for many of us because the program only has 12 weeks to get us ready. We were in an old barracks with no air conditioning and fairly decent living conditions. The academy preparatory school is in Newport with us as well and they had much better living conditions than us. Of course they are there longer, but they as you mentioned have a bigger budget. My drill instructor at OCS use to tell our company all the time, "The Naval Academy has a bigger budget and that's just the way it is, but OCS still puts out a better product." Of course this is partially biased, but given the time and money allotted to us I believe he was correct.
TESC: BS Technical Studies - Graduated March 2012

* I want to give this forum a big thank you, being a part of this community has helped me to achieve the completion of my Bachelors degree and has helped me in pursuing my dream of becoming a United States Naval Officer. I leave this message here in my signature for everyone to read and serve as a reminder of what this community, and the completion of a college degree can mean. I hope that the attainment of my dream through continuing education can serve as motivation for others. *
You could also try for Air Force OTS instead of the Academy or ROTC. Of course, his degree would have to be complete. The Air Force uses OTS to fill gaps that ROTC and the Academy doesn't fill. Plus, it's a cheaper route for the Air Force. With the current budget scares going on, this is a good thing for OTS rates.

As of late, the selection rates have been some of the highest in the past ten years for both rated (pilots, CSO, ABM, RPA) and non-rated officers. To say there is a 0% chance of getting a pilot/rated slot without going to the Academy is crazy. The past two rated boards, 12OT01/12OT03 have had very high selection rates. 12OT01 was an overall 68%, with 100% for enlisted applicants, and 12OT03 had an overall rate of 78%.
Master of Aeronautical Science, Embry Riddle projected 2014
B.S Aeronautics, Embry-Riddle 2012
A.A.S Aviation Maintenance Technology, CCAF 2011
A.A.S Instructor of Military Science, CCAF 2011
I am active duty Air Force. I can also tell you that "most" pilots come from the Academy in Colorado Springs. I highly, highly, highly recommend the ROTC route for commissioning. It is by far the "easiest" route with a mostly normal college experience. However, the experience gained from the Academy or being prior enlisted is irreplaceable and gains you a little more respect as a new 2nd Lt.

One thing about ROTC; after graduation you end up waiting a few months before receiving your commission/orders. This leaves the soon to be 2nd Lt without a job for a while so be prepared if you have financial obligations.

The Academy is a rough 4 years of school. Some people cannot handle the lifestyle, it is not easy... I wouldn't sign up for it. For instance, freshman are not allowed to wear backpacks. They have to carry them in there hand by the handle and run (not walk). They can also only travel along sidewalk lines. They cannot use the sidewalk, haha. It's actually pretty funny... I'm sure you all know how the military is with new recruits though.
Its probably different with each airframe, but ive worked in flying units for pilots the last 8 years, and I would say only maybe half of the thousand or so pilots i have worked for were from the Academy. a lot of ROTC, not too many OTS except for the reserve units i have worked with. If you have your heart set on a certain plane, guard or reserve is the way to go. Also, in another thread(or early in this one) someone mentioned you are more likely to get fighters if you go to the academy, I have not seen that to be the case either, they decide based on how you do in pilot training.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  opinion on military school for ADHD teen EducationSeeker 18 2,929 10-14-2022, 02:22 PM
Last Post: martamarti
Information US Naval Community College Pilot MNomadic 2 1,600 04-26-2022, 03:48 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Looking for a school that caps Mil TA at $250 per sem hr for an MBA??? barberakb 6 2,142 09-20-2016, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Yanji
  (New to Military) Does the AF pay for grad school if I enter OTS? horsewhiz 1 991 08-11-2015, 05:22 PM
Last Post: Prloko
  USAF and the ACT OfficerA 1 934 01-27-2015, 01:34 PM
Last Post: smf6824
  How to get a signed degree plan from TESC for MilTA? (USAF) OfficerA 6 1,970 08-11-2014, 08:32 AM
Last Post: bricabrac
  (USAF) Other than instructor duty and cross-training (I think), what's CCAF for? OfficerA 5 1,632 05-23-2014, 07:54 AM
Last Post: Prloko
  USAF OTS application - No GPA through TESC cframe 18 3,187 09-24-2013, 10:16 AM
Last Post: Mexirican007
  Using post 9/11 gi bill to complete prerequisites for dental school NcstateGrad 1 1,221 12-30-2012, 12:58 PM
Last Post: bldclot2
  GI Bill and Grad School SRT12 1 1,022 09-13-2012, 06:21 PM
Last Post: smokey2011