Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Full-Time Work from home jobs?
(12-16-2018, 07:22 PM)mysonx3 Wrote:
(12-16-2018, 07:05 PM)quigongene Wrote:
(12-16-2018, 10:01 AM)sanantone Wrote:
(12-16-2018, 09:39 AM)jamshid666 Wrote: Note that it will take you several years to hit the salary target, as you do have to work your way up through the hell desk and junior positions first, but the target is easily attainable.

I don't know if that was intentional, but it fits.

I'm 99% sure this was intentional.
Could be a Freudian slip

It was completely intentional.  Luckily, I managed to get enough IT experience while I was in the Army, so I skipped past the hell desk, but it is the most common route for people getting into this industry.

(12-16-2018, 05:02 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(12-16-2018, 09:39 AM)jamshid666 Wrote: Anything IT is awesome for working remotely, and it will easily get you to the $85k mark with enough years of experience and the right certifications.  I don't have a degree yet, and I've been working remotely for several years now.  Do a search for "top paying IT certifications" and find what piques your interest.  Note that it will take you several years to hit the salary target, as you do have to work your way up through the hell desk and junior positions first, but the target is easily attainable.

I think you'll need several years of learning before you can even start on the ladder to get to $85k.
I disagree.  When I left the Army, I only had an MCSE that I studied for on my own.  My primary position in the Army was Psychological Operations, so I wasn't IT while I was in.  Within a year of getting out, I hit the $65k mark, and it didn't take much longer to get to $85k.  The biggest thing is you have to be driven to learn more.  A lot of people in this industry seem to get a job and then just stagnate there.  If you are motivated enough to keep taking certification exams every month or two, it isn't hard to skip over the rest.  This assumes you have the aptitude to keep learning quickly, and it also assumes that you find an aspect of IT that you can develop a passion for and know when to back off for a bit before you burn out.

The OP for this post currently has a job as a teacher.  Although he isn't doing IT as part of his primary job, it isn't hard to find ways to start getting that experience while he's teaching either through working with the school's computer club or donating time helping churches or other organizations.  It worked for me, and I'm no better than anyone else here.
John L. Watson
Earned: WGU: BS-NOS (2019), WGU: MS-CSIA (2021)
Current Programs: UC: PhD in InfoSec (2025), AMA: DIT (2024), ENEB: MBA (2023)
Exam Priority: CEH (Practical), PMP, CISA, CISM
Future Plans: TBD - maybe an MS in Cannabis Science & Business, sounds like fun!
LinkedIn
Omni Transcript
Credly Badges
(12-16-2018, 07:48 PM)jamshid666 Wrote:
(12-16-2018, 07:22 PM)mysonx3 Wrote:
(12-16-2018, 07:05 PM)quigongene Wrote:
(12-16-2018, 10:01 AM)sanantone Wrote:
(12-16-2018, 09:39 AM)jamshid666 Wrote: Note that it will take you several years to hit the salary target, as you do have to work your way up through the hell desk and junior positions first, but the target is easily attainable.

I don't know if that was intentional, but it fits.

I'm 99% sure this was intentional.
Could be a Freudian slip

It was completely intentional.  Luckily, I managed to get enough IT experience while I was in the Army, so I skipped past the hell desk, but it is the most common route for people getting into this industry.

(12-16-2018, 05:02 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(12-16-2018, 09:39 AM)jamshid666 Wrote: Anything IT is awesome for working remotely, and it will easily get you to the $85k mark with enough years of experience and the right certifications.  I don't have a degree yet, and I've been working remotely for several years now.  Do a search for "top paying IT certifications" and find what piques your interest.  Note that it will take you several years to hit the salary target, as you do have to work your way up through the hell desk and junior positions first, but the target is easily attainable.

I think you'll need several years of learning before you can even start on the ladder to get to $85k.
I disagree.  When I left the Army, I only had an MCSE that I studied for on my own.  My primary position in the Army was Psychological Operations, so I wasn't IT while I was in.  Within a year of getting out, I hit the $65k mark, and it didn't take much longer to get to $85k.  The biggest thing is you have to be driven to learn more.  A lot of people in this industry seem to get a job and then just stagnate there.  If you are motivated enough to keep taking certification exams every month or two, it isn't hard to skip over the rest.  This assumes you have the aptitude to keep learning quickly, and it also assumes that you find an aspect of IT that you can develop a passion for and know when to back off for a bit before you burn out.

The OP for this post currently has a job as a teacher.  Although he isn't doing IT as part of his primary job, it isn't hard to find ways to start getting that experience while he's teaching either through working with the school's computer club or donating time helping churches or other organizations.  It worked for me, and I'm no better than anyone else here.

Like I said, it depends a lot on aptitude.  It you don't have that, then it's going to be very difficult to get up that ladder.

I always think if you're already doing something, and good at it, it's a much quicker route to find a better/more profitable/more flexible way to continue what you're already doing - assuming that you can get to the amount you want.  Since the OP is already a teacher, he might be able to find an $85k/yr job (or jobs) VERY quickly - like tomorrow.  He isn't going to learn IT from scratch that quickly, no matter how good he might be at it.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • jamshid666
(12-15-2018, 01:24 PM)acamp Wrote: Good afternoon all,
I am a full-time public school teacher.   While I enjoy what I do (minus some crazy classes at times haha) my desire would be to work from home full-time.  I have a large family and my wife had many health issues in the past (and still not 100%). .   I would love to be able to work from home full-time yet help/assist her or the kids if the situation arose.   I also would need a higher salary - around the $85K+ range.  

So my question - I have no experience in IT or sales.  Do any you know of which jobs people could work from home full-time and are financially secure?   If so, I would tackle any additional degree online (if it’s a big 3 testable one or near test out and get it done).  I have a BA degree and also an associates but my entire work experience up to this point has been teaching.  I’m 34  

I would love to hear your thoughts.   Thank you in advance everyone.

Ha ha ha - I haven't been here in a few weeks and I come back today and find this post.   Acamp you know I am trying to recruit you into sales, so just come to the dark side.  If you work for a solid company that clearly outlines the sales expectations and provides adequate training, you will be just fine.    Most of my sales reps are making 6-figures and are most are former teachers.   

Anyhow.. no pressure  Cool  Just check my company's postings and see what's in your area or shoot me an email.    Sales does have a lot of problems, but usually money isn't one of them.  And not to worry, the jobs really are financially secure.
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
(12-18-2018, 04:12 PM)burbuja0512 Wrote:
(12-15-2018, 01:24 PM)acamp Wrote: Good afternoon all,
I am a full-time public school teacher.   While I enjoy what I do (minus some crazy classes at times haha) my desire would be to work from home full-time.  I have a large family and my wife had many health issues in the past (and still not 100%). .   I would love to be able to work from home full-time yet help/assist her or the kids if the situation arose.   I also would need a higher salary - around the $85K+ range.  

So my question - I have no experience in IT or sales.  Do any you know of which jobs people could work from home full-time and are financially secure?   If so, I would tackle any additional degree online (if it’s a big 3 testable one or near test out and get it done).  I have a BA degree and also an associates but my entire work experience up to this point has been teaching.  I’m 34  

I would love to hear your thoughts.   Thank you in advance everyone.

Ha ha ha - I haven't been here in a few weeks and I come back today and find this post.   Acamp you know I am trying to recruit you into sales, so just come to the dark side.  If you work for a solid company that clearly outlines the sales expectations and provides adequate training, you will be just fine.    Most of my sales reps are making 6-figures and are most are former teachers.   

Anyhow.. no pressure  Cool  Just check my company's postings and see what's in your area or shoot me an email.    Sales does have a lot of problems, but usually money isn't one of them.  And not to worry, the jobs really are financially secure.

Sales jobs that are 100% work from home? That seems unusual. In my experience, most sales jobs require a lot of travel (local, international, or both) plus require a certain high-pressure mentality. Smile If that is no longer the case, I'm curious.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
One of my first jobs was a sales job and my monthly income was $4000 in 2002. A buddy of mine was in the B2B department working from home and was making $8000 a month. So if you are really good at it - then the income is quite good.

Also, not all people do well working from home. Some became extremely lazy.
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS
[-] The following 1 user Likes videogamesrock's post:
  • burbuja0512
(12-18-2018, 04:34 PM)Merlin Wrote: Sales jobs that are 100% work from home? That seems unusual. In my experience, most sales jobs require a lot of travel (local, international, or both) plus require a certain high-pressure mentality. Smile If that is no longer the case, I'm curious.

Yes, there are but it depends on your definition of 100%.  My company for example, has its inside sales team located in the Chicago and Orlando area, but most don't go into the office.   However, there may be a reason from time to time for them to be at the office and the top reps travel to the region they support 1-2x a year.   (I don't think they have to, but they do such a good job, it makes sense)

My husband works from home and rarely travels.  His entire company is virtual and they only have a small headquarters in another state.    He might go to headquarters once a year and may do a trade show or visit a top client from time to time.   I would say he travels a total of maybe 5 times a year, averaging about three days per trip.  

My current job has me on the road more than I'm at home, and I think I'll balance out at 2 weeks a month travel during busy season, one week in the down season eventually.  But keep in mind that I was looking for a job with heavy international travel.  I have a strange need to be outside of the US with some frequency.

Overall, I would say that a true inside sales team in my industry probably makes between 55-85k.   It's a great job for those who are good at sales but don't want the headaches with travel.   My company has some amazing inside sales people that sell the heck out of our products.  I am continually impressed with what they do considering they don't have the benefit of F2F visits.

Edit to add: Regarding high pressure, yes there is pressure. But isn't there always at almost any corporate position? It all depends on the leadership and sales does have its fair share of crappy leaders. It's important to make sure that you're with a company who is interested in long-term client satisfaction and also has solid training. Understanding what steps the company takes for underperforming sales reps is also important. I have found that most sales managers will jump through hoops for reps that have potential, even if they aren't hitting quota. But, I've always chosen good companies to work for. I wouldn't put my name on the line to hawk somebody else's crap if I didn't believe in it! Wink
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
[-] The following 2 users Like burbuja0512's post:
  • Ideas, Merlin
I would agree that inside sales pays well, with virtually zero travel - at least at all the places my husband has worked.  And with far less pressure than the outside sales people.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • burbuja0512

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  IT worker keeps 2 jobs for income security indigoshuffle 1 481 02-10-2024, 08:33 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  What career move would you make? FAANG Contract or steady work mohelena02 21 2,067 02-08-2024, 07:02 PM
Lightbulb How to make screen time useful for kids? drArret8 2 440 01-03-2024, 05:32 AM
Last Post: gulshan212
  Advice needed, making time for uni work. Personherebb9 14 1,101 06-11-2023, 03:11 AM
  Video of Airbnb Guest Refusing to Leave Woman's Home. The Drama Gets Real! LevelUP 4 1,840 06-23-2022, 01:18 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Would you keep a part time job listed on your LinkedIn Vle045 3 787 04-26-2022, 11:23 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Windows 11 Home Upgrade - Pretty Good bjcheung77 3 869 03-06-2022, 06:05 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Great Resignation - Better Balance of Life & Work? bjcheung77 5 979 01-30-2022, 08:17 PM
Last Post: uncapentin
  Best & Worst jobs - I wonder... bjcheung77 2 616 01-28-2022, 06:35 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Dream Job Alert! Work From Home & Unlimied Vacation?! bjcheung77 4 1,204 08-01-2021, 09:41 PM
Last Post: Vonne