Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fundraising for Non-Profits
I'm considering taking Fundraising for Nonprofits as one of my AOS classes for my BSBA Finance degree. Has anyone taken this? I'm in commercial real estate and have to raise capital from investors on a regular basis. I'm thinking there may be some applicable stuff to learn instead of taking International Finance or Risk Management.

Any insight on the course would be great!
I don't know if you've seen the syllabus.
from here https://www2.tesu.edu/course.php?CourseCode=FDR-440&sem=
it goes to
Here https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vdeQ...OPgu4/edit

Did not take that course to give insights. Just wanted to make sure you have seen that much. (once I got the right link that is)
TESU: BALS June 2021 (comm college, clep, sdc sophia coopersmith, SOS110, and capstone)

Hey BigRiverGroup... Are you going to be paying the residency waiver fee or taking the 16 credits? I haven't run across anyone on the board who has taken that course yet. But from reading your interests and comment above, I think it may just be a pretty good fit in your AOS (IF you get permission, as that is an FDR vs a FIN). My only suggestion is to email advising to make sure you can take that and place it into your AOS, otherwise it'll be a waste if it doesn't get into the required spot.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(03-05-2021, 03:07 PM)bigrivergroup Wrote: I'm considering taking Fundraising for Nonprofits as one of my AOS classes for my BSBA Finance degree. Has anyone taken this? I'm in commercial real estate and have to raise capital from investors on a regular basis. I'm thinking there may be some applicable stuff to learn instead of taking International Finance or Risk Management.

Any insight on the course would be great!

Risk Management would be a really good course for someone working in real estate. I had to take it for project management. You will probably get something out of the fundraising course since projects need fundraising - it just has a different name in different fields, but the basics are the same....you need money basically. If you were or wanted to work on international real estate ventures, then International Finance would be a good option. 
(03-05-2021, 03:20 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Hey BigRiverGroup... Are you going to be paying the residency waiver fee or taking the 16 credits?  I haven't run across anyone on the board who has taken that course yet.  But from reading your interests and comment above, I think it may just be a pretty good fit in your AOS (IF you get permission, as that is an FDR vs a FIN).  My only suggestion is to email advising to make sure you can take that and place it into your AOS, otherwise it'll be a waste if it doesn't get into the required spot.

Thanks...Yes, I spoke to a counselor and it's a sort of an off-brand course that fits the AOS.

I was planning to pay the residency fee, but I also have Marketing as my 2nd BSBA focus and need 18 credits there. I'm currently awaiting the results and award of my financial aid. If I get a Pell or other grant, I may take more time and finish with both my Finance and Marketing degrees, taking the remainder of the classes at TESU. If I don't get a usable award, I'll just do the last Finance course and Capstone and graduate in Sept with the residency fee.

Quote:ss20ts

Risk Management would be a really good course for someone working in real estate. I had to take it for project management. You will probably get something out of the fundraising course since projects need fundraising - it just has a different name in different fields, but the basics are the same....you need money basically. If you were or wanted to work on international real estate ventures, then International Finance would be a good option. 

Thanks for the input..I'll take a look deeper at the Risk Management as well.
I would also say fundraising wouldn't be a great class, unless you are looking to get into helping nonprofits raise money for creating affordable housing complexes. Raising capital for venture financing is drastically different than nonprofit fundraising. The way you approach funders and the goals are very different.
MBA, Walden University (In progress - 60% done)
2016 TESU, BA-LIBST, Emphases in Multimedia Comm./Human & Social Services
TESU TECEPS: Abnormal Psych PSY-350, Psych of Women PSY-270, Sales Mgmnt MAR-322, Advertising MAR-323, Marketing COM-210; Capstone w/ Ciacco
Other Sources: CLEP, Art Portfolio, 3 Comm. Colleges, 2 Art Colleges,  FEMA, AICPCU Ethics
I think Risk Management would be much more useful.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(03-08-2021, 12:53 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I think Risk Management would be much more useful.

After a bit of thought and goal setting, I agree.. I will be looking to sit for the SIE/Series 7 and Series 82 which support the institutional type capital raising we do. Risk Management has topics that I'm sure will be covered in the exams.