Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GPA Question
I've been asking a lot of questions that I think I know the answer to just to confirm that I'm correct before I act on what I think is the case. Hope y'all don't mind one more.

I know* that CLEP/DSST don't factor into your GPA, but what about other sources of credit (e.g. Study.com). Will they simply end up as pass/fail as well? What are the Big 3's policies on this?

Also, is there a minimum number of courses you must take through the school in order to graduate with a GPA?

(*or think I know, at least. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.)

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
Only courses taken at a actual college or university are going to contribute to your GPA. I remember that either COSC or Excelsior gives grades for SL courses, but that doesn't matter very much since a grad school will almost certainly disregard them anyway.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • katelynn
GPA has been a concern of mine as well, but apparently all your grades are wiped out once you transfer them into the school of your choice. Your GPA starts counting once you begin taking courses through that institution (ex: taking courses at TESU). I'm almost certain a bunch of students on here decide to take only the capstone course, which makes up their entire GPA. That's how a lot of people can end up graduating with a 4.0 at one of the Big 3.

Edit: this is just my understanding of what I've read on past GPA related threads.
ALEKS(9): College Algebra, Trig, Intro to Statistics
Sophia(42): Intro to Sociology, Human Biology, Environmental Science, Ancient Greek Philosophers, Developing Effective Teams, Essentials of Managing Conflict, Art History I, Approaches to Studying Religions, History I, History II, Introduction to Psychology, Visual Communications, Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, Intro to Information Technology, Student Success
Straighterline(6): English Comp I, English Comp II
The Institutes(2): Ethics 312
TEEX(16): Cyber Security 101/201/301, Death Investigation, Basic Criminal Investigation, Foundations of Courtroom Testimony, Basic Property Technician, Foundations of Forensic Photography

(08-24-2018, 12:03 PM)katelynn Wrote: GPA has been a concern of mine as well, but apparently all your grades are wiped out once you transfer them into the school of your choice. Your GPA starts counting once you begin taking courses through that institution (ex: taking courses at TESU). I'm almost certain a bunch of students on here decide to take only the capstone course, which makes up their entire GPA. That's how a lot of people can end up graduating with a 4.0 at one of the Big 3.

Edit: this is just my understanding of what I've read on past GPA related threads.

It depends on what you mean by GPA. Your school will calculate a GPA that they put on your transcript. That one generally only has courses you took at that school. If you apply to grad school, they will want transcripts from all of your schools (not alternative credit providers) and they will calculate their own GPA according to their admissions policies. If it's an employer that wants a GPA, they may be happy with the one on your last transcript, or they may want other transcripts as well.
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

(08-24-2018, 12:03 PM)katelynn Wrote: GPA has been a concern of mine as well, but apparently all your grades are wiped out once you transfer them into the school of your choice. 

Not at all the case.

For each school that you go to, you will have a GPA at that school.  If you go to 4 different schools, each school will compute your GPA from courses you've taken there.  So 4 separate GPA's.  From what I've seen looking at transcripts for years, they usually call it something like "institutional GPA."  As you transfer between schools, some schools may have an "overall GPA" where they look at their own GPA combined with the old school's GPA.  But it's in addition to, not in place of, their own GPA.  And not all schools do it.

I have taken classes at 5 different schools.  I have 5 separate GPA's, one per school.  TESU did compute a GPA at one point, from my prior schools, to make sure that I met the rule of having at least a 2.0 before I enrolled.  But that was for internal purposes, and was not used for anything else, nor did it show up on my transcript when I graduated - they only put my GPA from my capstone.

And I STILL have GPA's at my prior schools - nothing was "wiped out."

Also, that 4.0, assuming that's what you got on your capstone, is practically meaningless.  Other schools will look beyond the 4.0, to which courses you took, and see that you only took 1 course.  They won't be overly impressed by the 4.0 at that school.

And if you end up applying to a grad school that looks at grades, they will compute their own GPA for internal purposes only - and they actually look at every course that you got a grade for, so won't weigh that 4.0 more heavily than your other courses.  They just pull in the courses they want to look at (either everything, the last 60cr, the last 30cr, or for some, a certain core set of courses), and do their internal calculations.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • katelynn
(08-25-2018, 12:18 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(08-24-2018, 12:03 PM)katelynn Wrote: GPA has been a concern of mine as well, but apparently all your grades are wiped out once you transfer them into the school of your choice. 

Not at all the case.

For each school that you go to, you will have a GPA at that school.  If you go to 4 different schools, each school will compute your GPA from courses you've taken there.  So 4 separate GPA's.  From what I've seen looking at transcripts for years, they usually call it something like "institutional GPA."  As you transfer between schools, some schools may have an "overall GPA" where they look at their own GPA combined with the old school's GPA.  But it's in addition to, not in place of, their own GPA.  And not all schools do it.

I have taken classes at 5 different schools.  I have 5 separate GPA's, one per school.  TESU did compute a GPA at one point, from my prior schools, to make sure that I met the rule of having at least a 2.0 before I enrolled.  But that was for internal purposes, and was not used for anything else, nor did it show up on my transcript when I graduated - they only put my GPA from my capstone.

Also, that 4.0, assuming that's what you got on your capstone, is practically meaningless.  Other schools will look beyond the 4.0, to which courses you took, and see that you only took 1 course.  They won't be overly impressed by the 4.0 at that school.

And if you end up applying to a grad school that looks at grades, they will compute their own GPA for internal purposes only - and they actually look at every course that you got a grade for, so won't weigh that 4.0 more heavily than your other courses.  They just pull in the courses they want to look at (either everything, the last 60cr, the last 30cr, or for some, a certain core set of courses), and do their internal calculations.

Could everyone just do yourselves a favor and disregard everything I say on this forum, thank you. This is the guy you want to listen to.
(08-25-2018, 12:18 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

Not at all the case.

So what exactly does this mean as far as alternative sources of credit that "transfer" in? You won't have a GPA for them in any way, correct? (Though I would imagine a grad school may want to see the transcripts, there would be no "official" GPA, since they aren't actually institutions? Is that correct?)
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
(08-25-2018, 02:50 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: So what exactly does this mean as far as alternative sources of credit that "transfer" in? You won't have a GPA for them in any way, correct? (Though I would imagine a grad school may want to see the transcripts, there would be no "official" GPA, since they aren't actually institutions? Is that correct?)

In almost all cases, the alternative credit will be treated at not graded and won't count towards GPA. For some schools, that may be an issue, for others, no problem. That's why we always tell people to work backwards from their grad degree when planning their bachelor's. If they want a particular degree and/or a particular school, they need to be sure that alternative credit will work for them.

If someone knows they want an MBA, but doesn't care too much which school they get it from, then they don't need to worry. There's plenty of choices compatible with testing out. However, if they want an MS in Math from XYZ school, they better be sure what XYZ school will accept before starting down this path.

(08-25-2018, 02:50 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: So what exactly does this mean as far as alternative sources of credit that "transfer" in? You won't have a GPA for them in any way, correct? (Though I would imagine a grad school may want to see the transcripts, there would be no "official" GPA, since they aren't actually institutions? Is that correct?)

I'm looking at business schools now for my MBA. It's my understanding that grad schools in general don't really care if you used CLEP. The institutional GPA of the college you graduated from is what they're concerned about. The average GPA of the grad school's incoming class will be used in their US News and Review rankings.

I would just focus on getting a high GPA and GRE/GMAT score, as well as strong work experience. Not many programs are going to dig into your transcripts if everything else looks good.
(08-25-2018, 01:16 PM)katelynn Wrote:  This is the guy you want to listen to.

Dfrecore is the lady you want to listen to  Big Grin
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • dfrecore

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,616 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  Courses/Exams at a Cheaper Price and TESU Admissions Question UnbreakablyDetermined 12 4,390 09-09-2018, 08:41 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Question about TESU UL Requirements mysonx3 1 1,717 08-21-2018, 10:09 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Equivalency Question dexter1326 4 1,957 08-16-2018, 07:01 PM
Last Post: Merlin
  TESU Course equivalency question. jbwyo 6 1,943 08-10-2018, 11:00 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC Individualised Studies Question Tedium 12 2,794 08-01-2018, 07:06 AM
Last Post: Tedium
  Replacing LL with UL duplicate course question (COSC) ReyMysterioso 6 1,975 07-07-2018, 10:58 AM
Last Post: topdog98
  COSC transfer question Paramedic12 8 1,939 06-29-2018, 08:45 AM
Last Post: Tedium
  TESU Question about recording CLEP exams SamCes 5 1,597 06-29-2018, 08:26 AM
Last Post: mdel210201
  Quick Question about Excelsior hsfamfun 5 1,813 06-21-2018, 03:05 PM
Last Post: radconjohn