Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GPA from undergraduate degree/TESU?
(05-06-2018, 11:21 AM)Ideas Wrote: Grad schools typically look at your last 60 graded credits. Some don't mind if you have only 30 graded credits.

Like I said, some of them will allow a student with no GPA, but on a conditional basis. That means you get into the school, but they require you to get a good GPA for the first courses/semester. Many schools publish their policy about this, so you can read the details.

The comprehensive tuition plan is here. You can still get the current discount through Study.com. https://www.tesu.edu/tuition/comprehensive-tuition-plan

Well, I will only have my capstone as my only graded course, won't that be an issue? I haven't read anywhere of a minimum amount of courses, I've only seen that most universities require a 3.0 GPA for grad school.
What is the price for the tuition plan with study.com?
Again, most schools want to see 60 or 30 graded credits. This is published on most schools' sites and in their catalogs. Even though they say 3.0 GPA, if you look farther into their fine print you will see that usually they want at minimum 30 credits or 60 credits to admit someone. If it's not published, then you can ask admissions how they handle fewer graded credits.

Lots of schools will allow someone to begin a program even if you have only 0-3 graded credits. They will usually put you in a conditional type of status, and watch your grades for about 5 courses, and then admit you fully.

Other schools will not allow someone to begin with so few graded credits, but I find this to be relatively uncommon, because after all you do have a degree. Schools generally want your business, they just want to be sure someone can handle the level of coursework.

And others would allow you to be fully admitted even with very few graded credits, especially if other parts of your application were very strong like your recommendations or work experience. Usually this would be the dean/department allowing you to have an exception made, where they say the small number of credits will suffice.

You would have to see the policies of the particular school(s).

(05-06-2018, 01:11 PM)Ideas Wrote: Again, most schools want to see 60 or 30 graded credits. This is published on most schools' sites and in their catalogs. Even though they say 3.0 GPA, if you look farther into their fine print you will see that usually they want at minimum 30 credits or 60 credits to admit someone. If it's not published, then you can ask admissions how they handle fewer graded credits.

Lots of schools will allow someone to begin a program even if you have only 0-3 graded credits. They will usually put you in a conditional type of status, and watch your grades for about 5 courses, and then admit you fully.

Other schools will not allow someone to begin with so few graded credits, but I find this to be relatively uncommon, because after all you do have a degree. Schools generally want your business, they just want to be sure someone can handle the level of coursework.

And others would allow you to be fully admitted even with very few graded credits, especially if other parts of your application were very strong like your recommendations or work experience. Usually this would be the dean/department allowing you to have an exception made, where they say the small number of credits will suffice.

You would have to see the policies of the particular school(s).

Okay, I have one question.

Are the schools you are talking about US or international? I've mostly looked on international schools.
U.S., but it probably applies to many international schools too.

(05-06-2018, 11:15 AM)Danielp Wrote: But how will grad schools see the grades from these courses then?

If the grad school wants to see those grades (and they usually do), they will ask the applicant to send transcripts from ALL of their schools.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(05-06-2018, 08:27 AM)pws Wrote:
(05-03-2018, 08:12 PM)cookderosa Wrote: Further, if you need *more* graded credits, especially those in your major or to meet grad school requests, then simply do that.  Yes, TESU charges about $500 per credit, but that's competitive with most 4-year colleges, especially when you consider that you do NOT have a 15-30-45 credit residency requirement.  At TESU, you get to choose how many classes you take with them.  I took classes for the express purpose of having graded credit in my major for grad school (granted, it was a bit cheaper when I did it) but don't try and change your career / dream / aspirations to fit into a TESU degree - do the degree in the way that helps you achieve YOUR goals.

I agree. However, the question remains how many is good enough? If you do too many, it could end up being really expensive, and if too little, I you could miss your chance at that school.

With your major, how many graded credits did you take? Were these enough for your master's?

Are you applying to Canisius? Wink My point is that "how many?" is a real number - not my number. Just look up what your target college asks for. I had a LOT of graded credit but that was to meet specific prereqs. Your application process and mine won't be the same.
(05-06-2018, 11:21 AM)Ideas Wrote: Grad schools typically look at your last 60 graded credits. Some don't mind if you have only 30 graded credits.

Like I said, some of them will allow a student with no GPA, but on a conditional basis. That means you get into the school, but they require you to get a good GPA for the first courses/semester. Many schools publish their policy about this, so you can read the details.

The comprehensive tuition plan is here. You can still get the current discount through Study.com. https://www.tesu.edu/tuition/comprehensive-tuition-plan

Thanks, Ideas. This post (and your post after that) are encouraging. Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes pws's post:
  • Ideas

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help - Math Degree for Grad School Frederico.Sandoval 10 685 04-20-2024, 11:28 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New UK Bachelors Degree Online coming soon! Leedeedee 1 288 04-03-2024, 11:54 AM
  Cheapest degree in graphic design? blablablox 10 646 03-30-2024, 12:44 PM
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,802 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 578 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 513 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 289 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain
  The First 3-Year Degree Programs Win Approval Ares 10 873 02-07-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  NA to RA Degree Plan Assistance McManus 8 2,249 01-29-2024, 04:59 PM
  After getting the degree Harrynguyen 24 2,845 01-13-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: ArielB74