Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GPA question
Grad applications should be looked at as a package. If you have a good GRE/GMAT, great work experience, lots of research, and good recommendations, then GPA will be less important.

If your CC will allow you to retake the course you got the C- in and replace that grade, that might be the fastest way to raise your GPA.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(01-14-2019, 10:33 AM)davewill Wrote: Grad applications should be looked at as a package. If you have a good GRE/GMAT, great work experience, lots of research, and good recommendations, then GPA will be less important.

If your CC will allow you to retake the course you got the C- in and replace that grade, that might be the fastest way to raise your GPA.

Ah yes, I forgot about that.  Some will, some won't (some will only let you replace D or F grades).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(01-14-2019, 12:39 AM)tobyisking Wrote: Whoops sorry about that.
My actual graded credits are as follows
TESU I took two graded classes for 3 credits each and received  a B- and a B+. At my community college I took one class for 3 credits and received a C-

(01-14-2019, 01:34 AM)dfrecore Wrote: First, you are very lucky that you've taken so few graded credits.  For most people with a low GPA, they have tons of credits there, and it would take way too many to make it feasible to get that GPA up.

Second, you might want to calculate what you have at each school separately, because your GPA at one school isn't impacted by your GPA at another.  You currently have a 3.0 at TESU, and the only way to change that is to get grades at TESU.  Your GPA at your CC is 1.7, and the only way to change that is to get graded credits there.  Your combined GPA (if another school was to look at it and just combine all of your credits giving equal credit to all of them) is 2.57.  But not all schools look at it the same, so that's going to be a bit more difficult to determine (some use last 30 credits, some use last 60, some place more emphasis on a 4-yr school than a CC, some don't look if they're too old, some put more weight on courses in your major, etc.

In order to raise your CC GPA, you'd need to take 2 courses/6cr and get A's in both to get a 3.23  3 courses/9cr will get you to 3.43.  12cr will get you to 3.54.

In order to raise your TESU GPA, you'd need to take 1 course/3cr and get an A to get a 3.33.  2 courses/6cr will get you to 3.5.

For combined, you need 6cr to get 3.14, and 18cr to get 3.52.

https://gpacalculator.net/college-gpa-calculator/
Thank you! That's good news, it won't take nearly as long as I feared.
So , I calculated my GPA and it turns out to be around 3.4 if I score A- in all my subjects this sem. Would that be enough for Masters in CS from a pretty good school? Does anyone has any suggestions?

Thanks.
(01-15-2019, 11:53 PM)samsaint83 Wrote: So , I calculated my GPA and it turns out to be around 3.4 if I score A- in all my subjects this sem. Would that be enough for Masters in CS from a pretty good school? Does anyone has any suggestions?

Thanks.

Depends on your essay, recommendations, resume, GRE score, etc.

[-] The following 2 users Like Ideas's post:
  • davewill, mysonx3
OK, so after doing some research I found that I can get whats called academic renewal to boost my GPA if I take my classes at another institution, the exact rules to this are as follows,

When you have retaken a class that is equated to a class taken at blank city college and have received a better grade, then you can petition for Academic Renewal. The repetition can take place at any accredited institution. The student does not need to be a current student to apply for Academic Renewal.

Requirements to qualify for Academic Renewal with Repetition include:
The successful completion of the class must be after the unsuccessful. For example:
If you took PSY 2 at FCC in Fall 2012 and received an "F". Then in 2013 repeated PSY 2 at another college and received a "C", this qualifies. The "F" will be replaced by the "C" on the FCC transcript.
If you took PE 14 at another college in 2011 and received an "A" and then took the same class again at FCC in 2012 and received an "F", this DOES NOT qualify. The "F" will remain on the FCC transcript.
If the course was repeated at another institution, you must submit an official transcript from that institution for your petition to be considered.

I'm guessing by stating "accredited institution" they will not accept ACE credit, so does anyone know of the cheapest option to get 4 credits in Human Biology? That's one of the classes I did bad in and I would love to replace that grade.
(01-29-2019, 10:24 PM)tobyisking Wrote: I'm guessing by stating "accredited institution" they will not accept ACE credit, so does anyone know of the cheapest option to get 4 credits in Human Biology? That's one of the classes I did bad in and I would love to replace that grade.

I'm guessing you're right.  If you live in CA, then a CA CC is your best bet.  Not sure about other states, so check your state CC's.  After that, I'd check CC's in New Mexico.

The problem may be getting that 4cr.  A 3cr course would be fairly easy to find, 4cr is going to be more difficult (I'm guessing it included a lab?).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Yep, it had a lab. Right now they are evaluating a CLEP test for credit for me, maybe if that gets approved I could take the Bio CLEP. That one is worth 6 credits I believe

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  RBA degree question Jennr2z 19 3,030 12-14-2023, 04:50 PM
Last Post: staceydiane
  Question about BYU Independent Study Amberlinjeanne 4 1,223 09-05-2023, 06:47 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  EdX MicroBachelors letter grade question cardiacclep 3 593 12-28-2022, 08:17 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Transferology question - how to find ACE and NCCRS? katsiki 4 526 10-09-2022, 01:37 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Question about Transferring Credits Nelson Lin 3 714 09-17-2022, 02:17 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Question about the 1 credit RA self-paced class from ASU sparkling 2 1,141 08-24-2022, 03:41 PM
Last Post: sparkling
  ACTFL signup question(s) Insert Name 9 921 06-29-2022, 09:39 PM
Last Post: Insert Name
  ACTFL question Jennr2z 5 802 06-04-2022, 06:51 PM
Last Post: Jennr2z
  XAMK question k-k-k-katy 62 7,266 04-23-2022, 02:32 AM
Last Post: MrPanda
  ACTFL- silly question... uncapentin 10 1,096 02-22-2022, 10:09 PM
Last Post: dfrecore