Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GRE Countdown!
Ruddigore Wrote:You'll have all sorts of amazing stuff leaking out of your brains by the time you take it, but it will be worth it.

Ruddigore,
I am still dealing with "brain leakage" even after 3 months. Yesterday, I made the most obscure reference to Bleak House ever uttered. Now, I have an excuse - "brain leakage". Thank goodness I know what it is I am suffering from. It's not lethal, is it? Big Grin

Good luck to all of you prepping for your respective GRE exams. By and large this has been a pretty successful community with those tests and I am sure you guys will be no exception.

sc1 if I can help with the lit gre just let me know.

Best to you all,
Kelly
[SIZE="1"][COLOR="Purple"]Thomas Edison State College BSBA - 6/10
Excelsior College BS Liberal Arts - 9/10

Amberton MBA - 12/13 [/COLOR]
[/SIZE]
Encouragement and support of members and those who have gone before will keep us on track!
Ruddigore Wrote:Extra luck to Sunshine. Biology??? :eek: :willynilly: :eek: (Don't those smilies form the shape of some elemental molecule? Lewis structures...*shudder*)

Ruddigore- lol, I feel the same way about Lewis structures. Thanks for the well wishes- I will need all the luck I can get. Hmm...an ozone (O3) molecule perhaps...? :ack:

NAP Wrote:Sunshine - Is this to complete your major or for grad school or both?

NAP- it's for grad school only. Most of the programs I'm interested in don't require it, but "recommend" it. If I earn a decent score, I'm hoping it will be a boost to my application.

Yay! I'm glad to have a group to commiserate with!
[SIZE="2"][COLOR="DarkBlue"]B.S., Biology, Excelsior College
[/COLOR]
[/SIZE]
I do not plan on taking any GRE's but I will have my own nemisis the Praxis.

I really respect you guts for trying the GRE's to me they just sound so intimidating. You are all good testers so I know you will do well.
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
You, too, can defeat the Praxis test!
P00057870 Wrote:You, too, can defeat the Praxis test!
:iagree: We'll be rooting for you!
[SIZE="2"][COLOR="DarkBlue"]B.S., Biology, Excelsior College
[/COLOR]
[/SIZE]
Well, I finally ponied up the money and reserved my seat for April 10th. I was going to wait until Friday to do it, but decided to get it done. Hopefully that'll light a fire under my rear to get me studying harder.

I have taken heart from my studies, and decided to implement a plan based on the results of some of the experiments talked about in the prep material. My study plan consists of 5 days of GRE Prep per week with 2 days off from it. (This is while taking 3 classes at the same time, too... o.O )
Day 1 - Subject 1
Day 2 - Subject 2
Day 3 - 2 days after studying an item, the material 'settles' and you retain about 50% of what you actually studied. So at this point, I go back and study Subject 1 again, adding to the information retained.
Day 4 - As with day 3, but for subject 2
Day 5 - Break from studying for GRE work on other classes or if I got all my homework done, take a break from things, and pay attention to my wife before she starts wanting to smother me in my sleep.
Day 6 - (IE Saturday) set aside time in the day to review Subject 1 and Subject 2
Day 7 - Day off, time with my family... If I have work that I haven't gotten done for school at this point, I really need to reevaluate my course load. :p

Day 8 is day 1 of the prior week and starts subject 3
Day 9 is day 2 of the prior week and starts subject 4
Day 10 is review of Subject 1, 2, & 3
Day 11 is review of Subject 1, 2, & 4

And so on... We'll see how well it all works out for me... ROFL

Does anyone else have any kind of study plan that works for them? This is experiemental for me, but I'm interested to see the results of how it turns out. (IE whether it actually helps cement the knowledge or my methodology is just flatout wrong... :ack: )
Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Wile E. Coyote, genius. I am not selling anything nor am I working my way through college, so let's get down to basics: you are a rabbit and I am going to eat you for supper. Now don't try to get away, I am more muscular, more cunning, faster and larger than you are, and I am a genius, while you could hardly pass the entrance examinations to kindergarten, so I'll give you the customary two minutes to say your prayers.

Bachelor of Science in PsychoRabbitology degree
Master of Education with a specialty in Rabbit-specific destructive munitions (or eLearning & Technology, I forget which)
Doctor of Philosophy in Wile E. Leadership with an area of specialty in Acme Mind Expansion - 2017 Hopefully
TMW2010 Wrote:Well, I finally ponied up the money and reserved my seat for April 10th. I was going to wait until Friday to do it, but decided to get it done. Hopefully that'll light a fire under my rear to get me studying harder.
Woo hoo! One thing that always helped me get studying was having a flip-out session by considering how little time I had left to study. The :willynilly: approach seemed to provide decent motivation.

By the way, which GRE exam are you taking?
[SIZE="1"]American Government (68) ~ Analyzing & Interpreting Literature (70) ~ Art of the Western World (72) ~ Astronomy (66) ~ ENG407: Chaucer (A) ~ Civil War & Reconstruction (69) ~ College Algebra (62) ~ College Mathematics (73) ~ College Writing (A) ~ English Composition with Essay (59) ~ GRE Literature in English (610/73%tile) ~ Humanities (75) ~ Introduction to Business (62) ~ Introduction to Computing (459) ~ Introduction to Educational Psychology (72) ~ Introduction to World Religions (478) ~ Introductory Psychology (74) ~ Money & Banking (48) ~ Research & Writing (A) ~ Rise & Fall of the Soviet Union (68) ~ ENG 310: Short Stories (A) ~ Introductory Sociology (77) ~ Social Sciences & History (76) ~ Technical Writing (67) ~ US History I (69) ~ US History II (64) ~ Western Civilization I (76) ~ Western Civilization II (65) Western Europe Since 1945 (65) ~ Exam Feedback

Total Credits: 121 ~ DONE: Literature in English BA from Excelsior College[/SIZE]
P00057870 Wrote:I already registered but like you don't feel ready. I'm beginning to wonder if I ever will feel that way. Prepping for psych.

By the way -- a question for those who have taken them before.

If we bomb this or don't do as well as we like, can we retake it in Oct or November. Will there be a problem with EC if that happens?

Feedback appreciated so there is a "Plan B." :willynilly:

You can take it over and over again. ETS is glad to take whatever money you want to give them (I know a guy who works there) Wink. But, be aware that for grad school purposes, taking them more than twice, taking them twice with little or no improvement or having a horrible score at any point can do you harm. So I wouldn't sit a live test "for practice" or take them a third time.

I took the psych subject last November and got in the 78%tile. I was on the fence about retaking it, as I only need 3 more credits to complete Excelsior's major. But retaking it for 3 credits is still really cheap Big Grin ! I figured buckling down for two months and squeezing out that last percentile is worth it. I guess we'll see cheersmate .
Six days to go until the April 2010 GRE Subject test date.

I'm still not feeling ready by any means. I'm actually taking vacation days Thursday & Friday with the idea of spending 10+ hours each day trying to absorb every final piece of information I can for the test.

How's studying going for everyone else?
Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Wile E. Coyote, genius. I am not selling anything nor am I working my way through college, so let's get down to basics: you are a rabbit and I am going to eat you for supper. Now don't try to get away, I am more muscular, more cunning, faster and larger than you are, and I am a genius, while you could hardly pass the entrance examinations to kindergarten, so I'll give you the customary two minutes to say your prayers.

Bachelor of Science in PsychoRabbitology degree
Master of Education with a specialty in Rabbit-specific destructive munitions (or eLearning & Technology, I forget which)
Doctor of Philosophy in Wile E. Leadership with an area of specialty in Acme Mind Expansion - 2017 Hopefully

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Graduation Countdown, Looking for final push Kgaul 23 2,172 03-24-2017, 02:23 PM
Last Post: MD_AJIBULU
  6 month Countdown to my TESC BS of Homeland Security Doctor H 3 627 02-28-2013, 02:21 PM
Last Post: defscarlett