Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GRE Countdown!
WeAintGotNoBadges Wrote:So, where did the rest of the thread go? :confused:

Posts and PMs from the last 3 days were lost due to computer problems.

If you have a copy of your GRE experience, please repost it here. I know you provided excellent feedback on the study resources you used.
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
NAP Wrote:Posts and PMs from the last 3 days were lost due to computer problems.

If you have a copy of your GRE experience, please repost it here. I know you provided excellent feedback on the study resources you used.

Oops! No, I didn't keep a copy :ack:

So I'll try to resume it, with the caveat--again--that I had no psych education and therefore YMMV. I'll add some some extra stuff here while I'm at it that was not in my original post.

My advice was to use Wayne Weiten's Psychology, Themes and Variations (6th edition) and Kaplan prep book. And Google where needed.
The Weiten can be bought used for 5 bucks, shipping included. The Kaplan is worth every penny for this exam. So is the Weiten--great manual--but it was only 5 bucks Smile
Don't get an intro text to only peruse or consult occasionally. Read it cover-to-cover and do every quizz in it. Even if you do one whole chapter a day (and there is a lot of material in one chapter), you'll still need about 3 weeks to read and digest the manual. Then do the Kaplan.

And then do as many self-test exams as possible (buy cheap used past copies of prep books for that purpose). If you must do only 2 self-tests (aside from the ETS sample tests), do the ones in the Kaplan and time it so that you can finish the initial pass in 2 hours and 20 minutes max. That's what I did on my home tests and even though I felt like I was flying through the actual test on Saturday, I finished with only 15mns to spare to do a second pass through my blanks. It was enough but close. My strategy was do do only one pass and not leave more than 20 blanks--only where I didn't have the slightest clue to eliminate at least 2 options--and then do a second pass on the blanks, time permitting. I had tested this thoroughly at home and it worked for me. I ended up with about 13 blanks at the end. So test yourself at home: even if you study hard, you could still screw the test if you walk in without knowing 100% that you can finish it on time.

In my view, it's a suicidal stunt to do the test in 3 passes like some prep manuals recommend, but YMMV. Keep in mind that the Barron's prep book also advises you right off the bat that you won't finish the test and that ETS does not expect you to finish it either! Right here you have a good reason to stay away from Barron's as this is terrible--and inaccurate--advice. Sure, if you follow their advice and try 3 passes there is a good risk that you won't finish :puke:

I don't think I did spectacular, but I expect to be at least in the 155-160 raw score range. I'd be surprised if I'm not there, based on my own testing and the slightly lighter-than-expected difficulty of the exam. Either way, I'll post 'em here when I get 'em, good or bad. As long as I get the 80% mark I'll be happy Wink

Thanks again to those who have posted info on this test before (with special kudos to Allissa): it came in handy and has been much appreciated.

W.
WeAintGotNoBadges Wrote:Thanks again to those who have posted info on this test before (with special kudos to Allissa): it came in handy and has been much appreciated.

W.

You are very welcome. When I was freaking out over the GRE Psych there wasn't much info here--or anywhere else--about how to approach it. I shared all of my experience on this forum with the very hope that people would come along after me and be advised about--or be inspired to tackle--passing the GRE. It's very satisfying to see more people going for it. I know you guys will all do great. Congrats on conquering a beast of a test! Whew, aren't you glad it's over?
[SIZE="6"]~~ Alissa~~[/SIZE]
[size="4"]"Whether you think you can or think you can’t, you’re right." - - Henry Ford[/size]
[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"][SIZE="2"]DONE:
BS Liberal Studies, Excelsior College May 2009
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
Current website favorite:
http://www.careeronestop.org/
alissaroot Wrote:You are very welcome. When I was freaking out over the GRE Psych there wasn't much info here--or anywhere else--about how to approach it. I shared all of my experience on this forum with the very hope that people would come along after me and be advised about--or be inspired to tackle--passing the GRE. It's very satisfying to see more people going for it. I know you guys will all do great. Congrats on conquering a beast of a test! Whew, aren't you glad it's over?

Indeed I am. But the bangs-for-the-bucks makes it worthwhile, both in credits and cash expenses savings Smile Also I learned something along the way, and that's what education is all about.

W.
So, its been a week... Is anyone else getting bored with waiting for the scores to be posted?

3 more weeks to go.

:ack: :toetap: :willynilly:
Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Wile E. Coyote, genius. I am not selling anything nor am I working my way through college, so let's get down to basics: you are a rabbit and I am going to eat you for supper. Now don't try to get away, I am more muscular, more cunning, faster and larger than you are, and I am a genius, while you could hardly pass the entrance examinations to kindergarten, so I'll give you the customary two minutes to say your prayers.

Bachelor of Science in PsychoRabbitology degree
Master of Education with a specialty in Rabbit-specific destructive munitions (or eLearning & Technology, I forget which)
Doctor of Philosophy in Wile E. Leadership with an area of specialty in Acme Mind Expansion - 2017 Hopefully
Of course!
For giggles, I occasionally log in to my ETS account just to see if there would be a goof and my scores would show up early... Sad but true.
Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Wile E. Coyote, genius. I am not selling anything nor am I working my way through college, so let's get down to basics: you are a rabbit and I am going to eat you for supper. Now don't try to get away, I am more muscular, more cunning, faster and larger than you are, and I am a genius, while you could hardly pass the entrance examinations to kindergarten, so I'll give you the customary two minutes to say your prayers.

Master of Education with a specialty in Rabbit-specific destructive munitions (or eLearning & Technology, I forget which)
Doctor of Philosophy in Wile E. Leadership with an area of specialty in Acme Mind Expansion - 2017 Hopefully
Nah. They are playing on this feeling for more $$$

When 5/10 comes around, they make money off those who do not want to wait hilarious

The question is will we cave in? Probably Smile
P00057870 Wrote:The question is will we cave in? Probably Smile
Pffft... Definitely... I've already got my $12 set aside... ROFL

Just a note, I was so obsessed with finding out my results that I called the ETS number every day for a week before the date that scores were supposed to be available, and they were available on the Saturday or Sunday (can't remember exactly which) before the actual date both times. It doesn't cost anything to call if the scores aren't ready, so if you're as excited and impatient as me, just keep calling. :willynilly:
[SIZE="6"]~~ Alissa~~[/SIZE]
[size="4"]"Whether you think you can or think you can’t, you’re right." - - Henry Ford[/size]
[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"][SIZE="2"]DONE:
BS Liberal Studies, Excelsior College May 2009
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
Current website favorite:
http://www.careeronestop.org/

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Graduation Countdown, Looking for final push Kgaul 23 2,175 03-24-2017, 02:23 PM
Last Post: MD_AJIBULU
  6 month Countdown to my TESC BS of Homeland Security Doctor H 3 627 02-28-2013, 02:21 PM
Last Post: defscarlett