Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
GRE Subject Tests
MaieJaie Wrote:Yes, that's the one. There are a couple of other study guides for the GRE Literature out there, but neither one gets great reviews. The ETS guide mostly covers general info about the test with little insight into how to do well on the exam. The REA guide, according to reviews, has several inaccuracies on its practice tests. The Princeton Review's Cracking the GRE Literature Test has great reviews; it's accurate and provides valuable insight into the test and how to maximize your score. Plus, the Princeton Review guide is usually also the least expensive of the study guides!!!

Thanks! I've got it in my 'to buy' section. You are encouraging me to maybe give this thing a try. My son is going to do it in November. I just don't want to embarrass myself with our score comparison! :o But, I gotta get over that!
[COLOR="Teal"][SIZE="4"]Margo
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"][B][B]"By endurance, we conquer"[/B][/B][/SIZE] [SIZE="2"] [SIZE="1"] ~ Sir Ernest Shackleton[/SIZE][/SIZE]
for a total of 18

CLEP done through 2010:
U.S. History II (66)
Analyzing & Interpreting Lit (70)
Introduction to Sociology (71)
Social Sciences & History (70)
College Mathematics (57) :o

Hoped for end result before arthritis sets in:
BA in Art, Liberal Studies, or Humanities[/SIZE]
Hello all,

I'm planning on signing up for GRE Mathematics exam to be held in coming October. Do I have to have some place where GRE score will be sent. I'm only a free member of EC. Do I need to fill out and pay for the EC credit bank. Can just take the exam now without mentioning any recipient of my score and have the score sent later? Thanks in advance.
Yes, you can have your score sent later, but it will cost you $20 to have a transcript sent. You can have your scores sent free if you have them sent when you take the test. Keep in mind that GRE scores expire after five years, so make sure you enroll at EC before that time's up if you want to use the credits.

Good luck!
[SIZE="6"]~~ Alissa~~[/SIZE]
[size="4"]"Whether you think you can or think you can’t, you’re right." - - Henry Ford[/size]
[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"][SIZE="2"]DONE:
BS Liberal Studies, Excelsior College May 2009
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
Current website favorite:
http://www.careeronestop.org/
Hi everybody!

It is so wonderful to see all of this interest in taking the GREs for credit. It is such an incredible opportunity for all of us.

Alissa, you are amazing, as always!

Barbecue22 and Kingbodonti – I am planning to take the Biochemistry and Math GREs also, but not this year. I would really appreciate it if you would both leave feedback about study materials used and tips. Thanks for your help.

I wanted to add that REA offers books with practice exams for each GRE Subject test. I always like having lots of practice tests to use. Here is the page:

REA Online - Making The World Smarter

My very best wishes on your exams! I’ll be cheering for all of you and looking forward to your results.

NAP
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
alissaroot Wrote:Yes, you can have your score sent later, but it will cost you $20 to have a transcript sent. You can have your scores sent free if you have them sent when you take the test. Keep in mind that GRE scores expire after five years, so make sure you enroll at EC before that time's up if you want to use the credits.

Good luck!

Thank you

NAP Wrote:...........................

My very best wishes on your exams! I’ll be cheering for all of you and looking forward to your results.

NAP

Good luck to you too. I'll definitely keep you guys posted.
I will keep you updated on how it goes.
NAP Wrote:I don't know what this means yet, but EC's math major requires 3 calculus courses, while the Math GRE says it is 50% calculus.

Hi. I'm a math major with all of my credits from B&M's who is probably transferring to Excelsior. Alissa knows this stuff as well as anyone on this forum, but I'll wager Excelsior's GRE math award breakdown is close to this. Again, this is just my assumption:
36th% = minimum score in order to get any credit
81st% = complete major = 11 courses according to EC's L.A.'s catalog
5% ~ 3 credits
I think a score in the 55-60% range would be good enough to fulfill the core requirements. That's five classes out of eleven needed. Typically, getting an 81% or higher requires mastery of the "calc section", "algebra section" and some familiarity with the "additional topics section".

If you get every single question right in the "calc section", and didn't answer anything else, you'd have a raw score of approximately 33, which would put you in the 59%. So if you reviewed everything you've already learned, and then mastered Calc3, 4 and Advanced 1, you would still be about 12-15 credits short of completing the major. That's a lot, and completing upper level math is harder to come by then say business administration or I.T with regards to online classes and testing out.

You need Calc 1 through 3 for part of the core requirement. Many schools, including mine (Rutgers) treat the first differential equations class as Calc 4. The Math Subject GRE's 50% calculus breakdown includes any school's "diff. e.q." equivalent. You probably can't complete any RA bachelor's in math without taking at least the equivalent of Advanced Calc 1 (I guess Calc 5 seemed silly?), which some would regard as calc (duh) but can just as rightfully be considered "analysis", and so can straddle the 50% for the calc breakdown and the 25% for the "additional topics" subcategory. Excelsior's catalog specifically puts advanced calc in their Section "A" of their Intermediate and Upper-level courses.

I admire and encourage anyone who wants to tackle the quantitative GRE's for credit, but you really need to know your stuff. If the highest level math you've ever taken is, say, Calc 2 then I'd say you won't even recognize 60% of the questions.
Wow, Kaz, thanks! This helps me to see that the 2 breakdowns do match better than they appear to at first glance.

I have a tough question for you. With what you have learned from taking all of the classes, how would you approach studying for the Math GRE, if you had not had any of the classes?

I have not even had any Calculus, yet. I am planning to study for 1-2 years for just the Math GRE. (Classes are not currently an option for me.) What should my strategy be? Is it possible to learn each subject in 1-2 months? Are there any really good resources that you found helpful while taking the classes?

I want this, but I want to have a good plan to accomplish it and have time to enjoy what I am learning, too.

Thank you so much for your help!

NAP
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
NAP Wrote:Wow, Kaz, thanks! This helps me to see that the 2 breakdowns do match better than they appear to at first glance.

I have a tough question for you. With what you have learned from taking all of the classes, how would you approach studying for the Math GRE, if you had not had any of the classes?

I have not even had any Calculus, yet. I am planning to study for 1-2 years for just the Math GRE. (Classes are not currently an option for me.) What should my strategy be? Is it possible to learn each subject in 1-2 months? Are there any really good resources that you found helpful while taking the classes?

I want this, but I want to have a good plan to accomplish it and have time to enjoy what I am learning, too.

Thank you so much for your help!

NAP

You'll see all over this board people saying something to the effect that "it depends on you, your background and your style." That's very true. My opinion about self-studying math is that the subject lends itself very well to that goal, as long as you have the presonality to grind away for hours and hours, week after week on ever-more-difficult math problems Big Grin !

If I hadn't yet taken any classes?
[SIZE="4"]BIG WARNING![/SIZE] If you do well on the subject test but DON'T get all 33 credits for the major your only recourse will probably be to retake it. This is because, unlike a major like english, you can't take one or two freshman level classes and wind up clearing the pre-reqs for the lion's share of the available upper level courses. If you fall, say, six upper level courses short of the major according to Excelsior, you won't be able to just hop on line and find a couple courses to take because I don't know of ANY schools other than Excelsior and COSC that will give you actual course credit for taking the GRE. So if you were a couple courses short, even if you could find, say, a "Topology 2" class online, it would be highly unlikely that you would be allowed to take it since you don't have anywhere close to the necessary pre-reqs for it reflected in actual courses on your transcripts.

That being said, I don't know for sure how Excelsior would put it on their transcript. If Excelsior just lists you as having "xx-LL credits, yy-UL credits" than even their transcript won't help you with another school. If Excelsior actual lists your credits as clearing certain requirements, "Calc 1, Linear Algebra 2, etc." then maybe you could get another school to recognize it. Personally, I think it is the former, so you would be s.o.l. So just know that math is kinda' "all-or-nothing" for Excelsior's major, unlike english or psych where you can take a couple lower level courses, or even test out of them with CLEP/DSST/ECE/TECEP/Ohio, and clear the pre-reqs for nearly any remaining courses you need to top-off your credits after the GRE.

I have no idea how auditing or taking classes as a non-matriculated visiting student would work. Somebody else would need to comment on that.
Kaz Wrote:I don't know of ANY schools other than Excelsior and COSC that will give you actual course credit for taking the GRE.

Empire State College does. The school's regionally-accredited and part of SUNY.

If I remember correctly, I believe Empire State awards up to 36 credits for a GRE Subject Test...more than Excelsior and much more than Charter Oak. Empire State does have a residency requirement, though.

http://www.esc.edu/ESConline/ESCdocument...-level.pdf

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  IT and Privacy Pro Tests Ashenwelt 13 2,564 02-11-2019, 11:35 AM
Last Post: jsd