Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
GRE Subject Tests
Does anyone know what courses the GRE CS will substitute for? Or can you pick which classes you want to have the credit applied to?

Thank you for all this info, it is extremely helpful!!!
JLA_8 Wrote:Does anyone know what courses the GRE CS will substitute for? Or can you pick which classes you want to have the credit applied to?

Thank you for all this info, it is extremely helpful!!!

I do not know which courses the GRE Comp. Sci. will duplicate, but I do know that you do not get to choose which courses you would like to have it applied to. The GRE is awarded as bulk credit, and the individual courses are not listed out separately, and I think Excelsior will deduct whatever you already have from the GRE credit.

Example transcript entry:

GRE Subject Exams
(690) Computer Science...........12LL..........Pass
(690) Computer Science...........18UL.........Pass

So you must aim for a score higher than any credits you have already accumulated in order to avoid having the whole thing be a wash because of duplication. That goes for all the GREs. They are a bit cryptic about which courses will duplicate because there doesn't appear to be a strict list of what will or will not duplicate. It depends on what you already have. Say, if you have already passed CLEP Intro. to Comp. Apps. and I have passed the DSST Intro. to Computers, and we both score at the 35th percentile on the GRE. Even though these are different credits that we have, we will neither one receive credit from the GRE, because we both have lower level duplicate credit.

Also, to answer another question earlier in this thread about which study guides to use. The Princeton Review "Cracking the GRE Subject exam..." books are almost always recommended by former test takers for all the GRE exams, and I have found them to be helpful for psychology and literature both so far. If you are only going to purchase one study guide, it should probably be the Princeton Review one.
[SIZE="6"]~~ Alissa~~[/SIZE]
[size="4"]"Whether you think you can or think you can’t, you’re right." - - Henry Ford[/size]
[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"][SIZE="2"]DONE:
BS Liberal Studies, Excelsior College May 2009
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
Current website favorite:
http://www.careeronestop.org/
Thank you very much Alissa for the detailed explanation.
"The GRE Computer Science exam can award credit, however it will all be
score specific.

Here is the break-down for the Computer Science GRE:

685 score: 3 LL credits satisfying the Intro to Computers ( IT
elective)
700 score: 6 LL credits satisfying above plus High Level Language (
IT elective)
715 score: 9 LL credits satisfying above plus a second High Level
Language ( IT elective)
730 score: 12 LL credits satisfying above plus Discrete Math (math
requirement)
745 score: 12 LL credits, 3 UL credits satisfying above plus Data
Structures (one of the Object Oriented Software concentration core)
760 score: 12 LL credits, 6 UL credits satisfying above plus
Computer Architecture ( core requirement)
770 score: 12 LL credits, 9 UL credits satisfying above plus
Operating Systems (core requirement)
780 score: 12 LL credits, 12 UL credits satisfying above plus UL
technical elective
810 or higher: 12 LL credits and 18 UL credits."
Awesome! This will definitely make it easier to plan for exams, especially if someone were to fall a bit short of the 80th percentile. I wonder why they did not respond this clearly when I asked about psychology or literature duplication. Perhaps I will have to phrase my questions better.

Thank you so much for sharing this.

I am off to find out if I can get a list like this for Psychology or Literature!
[size="4"]"Whether you think you can or think you can’t, you’re right." - - Henry Ford[/size]
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
You are very welcome.

I guess another thing to consider would be applying the GRE credits to Charter Oak, as they require a lower score to acheive full credit (for certain areas of study I guess), then after receiving credit for those classes, transfer them to EC. Maybe I'll send an email to Charter Oak requesting the same info, then compare it to the EC info to see what classes correlate to each other.
I think comparing the two as to course completion is a good idea. It will be very interesting to see what they say. I am not so sure that sending the score to COSC and then using it at Excelsior would work, though. Perhaps if you used it at COSC to get an Associate's degree and then switch to EC for your BA? I don't know if anyone has tried to do that. I am not sure if that would work or not. For example, when I took the AP English exam back in 1998, Franklin College gave me eight credits for that, but when I had my Franklin College transcript sent to EC, which did list my AP credit, they did not even put my AP credits on there at all until I had a transcript sent directly from College Board, and then they only gave me six credits. I imagine it would be the same way for the GRE, you would have to have the transcript sent directly from ETS, and EC will award credit the way you have already listed.

I sent a message asking for more specific details about the GRE Literature exam, hopefully I will get a detailed response like yours!Smile
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
Thanks for having this great conversation.

JLA 8 – Just wanted to double-check. This is an official EC list for the GRE (for all of us to use) and not something they put together with your previous credits in mind. Correct?

I’m interested in taking this also. This is an excellent list to have. Thanks for getting it and posting it.
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
NAP Wrote:Thanks for having this great conversation.

JLA 8 – Just wanted to double-check. This is an official EC list for the GRE (for all of us to use) and not something they put together with your previous credits in mind. Correct?

I’m interested in taking this also. This is an excellent list to have. Thanks for getting it and posting it.

Correct. They have no transcripts from me.
Greetings, Alissa -

Thank you for your Message.

The number of credits you receive for the "Literature in English" GRE depends on your score. The maximum is a score of 630 and higher and awards 12 Lower Level credits and 18 Upper Level credits for a total of 30 (major requirements would be fulfilled). The lowest score accepted 500 and awards 3 Lower Level credits. All upper level courses/exams taken after the GRE do not duplicate GRE credit.

If you receive 27 credits for the Lit. in Engl. GRE you will need to take a Major Author (singular) - area IIC course, pre-20th century and Research and Writing in the Major; if you receive 24 credits, you would need to take a IIC course and either a IIA (Literary Period/Movement or IIB (Literary Genre/Form) course - one of the 2 courses would have to be pre-20th century and Research and Writing in the Major; if you receive 21 credits, you would need to take one IIA, IIB and IIC course each - one of the 3 courses would have to be pre-20th century and Research and Writing in the Major. Where more credits are needed, we can then look at more coursework from areas II and/or III and Research and Writing in the Major.

I hope this helps, but please let us know if you have additional questions. Best wishes!

Sincerely, Tamara R. Garrison, Academic Adviser
[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  IT and Privacy Pro Tests Ashenwelt 13 2,567 02-11-2019, 11:35 AM
Last Post: jsd