Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
GRE Subject Tests
Ah, to explain the previous post a bit for anyone who has not yet checked out the Publications page at Excelsior. If you are considering a Literature in English major at Excelsior, definitely start a free MyEC account and go to the Publications page. There you can see what she is saying when she says "Area IIA, IIB, IIC" and so forth. Here's an example so you can get a better idea of what she means, I would have put it together last night but I had to hurry off to work:

Excelsior GRE Literature in English Credit distribution

Raw Score~Scaled Score~Percentile~Credits at Excelsior + what you will NEED in addition to this score on the GRE---------------

~102-106------- 500----- 36%ile------ 3LL
~107-110------- 510----- 39%ile------ 3LL
~111-113------- 520----- 43%ile------ 6LL
~114-116------- 530----- 47%ile------ 9LL
~117-119------- 540----- 50%ile------ 12LL
~120-122------- 550----- 54%ile------ 12LL
~123-125------- 560----- 58%ile------ 12LL & 3UL
~126-128------- 570----- 62%ile------ 12LL & 6UL
~129-132------- 580----- 65%ile------ 12LL & 9UL
~133-135------- 590----- 68%ile------ 12LL & 9UL + Literary genre or forms,UL i.e.Evolution of Drama, Studies in the Novel, etc.
~136-140------- 600----- 72%ile------ 12LL & 12UL + Literary period or movement,UL i.e. Victorian Age, Enlightenment, Naturalism
~141-143------- 610----- 75%ile------ 12LL & 15UL
~144-146------- 620----- 78%ile------ 12LL & 15UL + Singular author UL & Research & Writing in the Major course needed
~147-149------- 630----- 81%ile------ 12LL & 18UL----Everything for the major fulfilled!

The lower level credits, which she did not discuss (because she knows I will score high! lol) are duplicated by the CLEP American Lit., English Lit, and 3 of the 6 credits for CLEP Humanities. You will also need everything above the score. Say if you score at the 68th percentile, you will need the literary genre, literary period, singular author, and research & writing in the major. I hope that this makes sense, it is a bit confusing at first. Checking out the publications page will help if this is not clear.

This little chart is just an example, the score distribution on the test you take might be very different.
Good luck everyone!
[SIZE="6"]~~ Alissa~~[/SIZE]
[size="4"]"Whether you think you can or think you can’t, you’re right." - - Henry Ford[/size]
[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"][SIZE="2"]DONE:
BS Liberal Studies, Excelsior College May 2009
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
Current website favorite:
http://www.careeronestop.org/
I was reading another thread and there was mention to taking multiple GRE tests for undergraduate credit. Has anyone done this or know if this is possible?
I am planning to take 2 or 3 GREs for credit at Excelsior. When I asked them about it, they said it is an option and I just have to check with them to be sure they fit in with the requirements.

Here is my degree plan:

http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...lsior.html

(Note that this plan is unofficial and I have not asked for Excelsior's approval, yet. I do trust Alissa's opinion on this.)

Which GREs are you interested in taking?
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
Thanks NAP, thats a great degree plan! I have not decided which GRE tests to take. I am just trying to figure out how to maximize the usage of my credits. Taking multiple GRE tests makes a lot of sense and is really cost effective.
Yes, but don't forget that they are offered only three times a year, and I would recommend 2-3 months of study for each one that is in a subject you are unfamiliar with. The new dates for the next three exams will be posted on the ETS site in July.

Which GREs are you considering? You have to study very hard for them, but it is such a savings on upper level credit!
[SIZE="6"]~~ Alissa~~[/SIZE]
[size="4"]"Whether you think you can or think you can’t, you’re right." - - Henry Ford[/size]
[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"][SIZE="2"]DONE:
BS Liberal Studies, Excelsior College May 2009
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
Current website favorite:
http://www.careeronestop.org/
The GRE subject exams are given in April, October, and November - the exact date will vary. Registration closes about one month before the test date. If I had remembered that, I would have taken the GRE English Lit test last November! (I forgot to register in advance, and didn't remember about the deadline until two days past it... oops)

You could study for two tests simultaneously, then take the two autumn exams and snap up a ton of credits. Assuming you keep your sanity, that is.
[COLOR="DarkGreen"][SIZE="2"]
BSLS Excelsior College, conferred 9-09
started MS in Instructional Design program, Spring 2010

April 4 2009 through July 6 2009: 1 GRE subject exam + 1 Penn Foster credit + 11 DANTES exams = 61 credits. Average per-credit cost = $23.44.

"Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending." (Maria Robinson)[/SIZE][/COLOR]
Just a guide/warning for the Psych GRE takers. I received a 540 (blech score) which would normally rank between 35th and 40th percentile (good for 3-6 credits at EC). However, it came in at 26th percentile! So, competitrion is great amongst Psych grads. Study long and hard for this exam. Just my 2 cents (which actually cost $100+ bucks)!
[SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]Mongoose65
started Excelsior 11/08
BA Lib Studies from TESC completed 10/09:
Transferred in 42 from B&M school.
9 credits from ISM Purchasing certification.
CLEP Humanities 11/08 (64)
CLEP A&I Lit. 11/08 (70)
CLEP Soc. Sci. & History 12/08 (65)
CLEP Natl Science 1/09 (51) :p
Penn Foster Info Lit 2/09
Psych GRE 4/09 Score 540, 26th %, 0 credits :mad:
IAAP CAP certification exam (2 days, 750 questions)5/09 PASSED all 4 exams, 29 credits! Big Grin
11 FEMAs
CLEP English Comp w/ easay (62)
ALEKS Intro to Statistics (8/09)
CLEP English Literature (69)
[/SIZE][/SIZE]
I was at my testing center today and a girl was there for a GRE. Now I'm confused. If they are only given in April, October and November how was she sitting for one today? Any ideas? Not that it's a huge concern for me, I can definitely study until October, but it would be nice to get it done sooner. The more I read about it the more nerve I work up to try to test out of some Psych courses with the GRE Smile

10 minutes later...... Never mind. Just saw the difference between General and Subject. She must have been taking a general. Smile

Orange Coast College- Gen Ed (26)
Spanish AP (8)

Humanities- 73/50
Analyzing Lit- 67/50
English Lit- 64/50
American Lit-66/50
World Civ I- 58/50

US History I- 9/09
GRE Psychology???

and many more...

Hoping to earn B.S. Psychology (EC) by June 2010
not course specific.

Does anyone know how EC and other of the big 3 handle this one?

Judy
P00057870 Wrote:not course specific.

Does anyone know how EC and other of the big 3 handle this one?

Judy
EC does not grant any credit for the GRE general exam.
[COLOR="DarkGreen"][SIZE="2"]
BSLS Excelsior College, conferred 9-09
started MS in Instructional Design program, Spring 2010

April 4 2009 through July 6 2009: 1 GRE subject exam + 1 Penn Foster credit + 11 DANTES exams = 61 credits. Average per-credit cost = $23.44.

"Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending." (Maria Robinson)[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  IT and Privacy Pro Tests Ashenwelt 13 2,561 02-11-2019, 11:35 AM
Last Post: jsd