Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
GRE Subject Tests
Thanks for the prompt response. It is appreciated.
Has anyone ranked the subject gres? Just curious if someone has taken a few of them and could say whether one is harder than the other. I read that the psych gre is taken by many, which makes it difficult.

I am debating on the psych, the literature, the bio and the math to be applied to Excelsior.

I have background in all of them.

Psych - I have taken intro to psych and social psych thru tesc. i also have taken statistics. (So i might duplicate some credits)

Literature - I have only taken Intro to World Lit, but love to read.

Bio - Almost majored in that so I think it would be easy with a little study and would hopefully give me upper level credits but very few lower level - so it might be risky.

Math - I have taken up to calc 2 but really have no idea what credit the math gre will give me

I have finished my associates and will be applying for graduation thru excelsior next week (my annual fee at tesc recently expired). Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
"Difficult" is a relative term! If you almost majored in biology, you could do very well on the biology subject exam. If you already have a lot of bio credits, you'd have to score very high on the GRE to get beyond the duplicate credits, though.

Have you downloaded the official test bulletins from the GRE site? For each subject exam, the bulletin contains an outline of the content plus a complete sample exam. At the end of the sample exam, there's an answer key that includes the percentage of test-takers who get the correct answer for each one.
[COLOR="DarkGreen"][SIZE="2"]
BSLS Excelsior College, conferred 9-09
started MS in Instructional Design program, Spring 2010

April 4 2009 through July 6 2009: 1 GRE subject exam + 1 Penn Foster credit + 11 DANTES exams = 61 credits. Average per-credit cost = $23.44.

"Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending." (Maria Robinson)[/SIZE][/COLOR]
Just clicked on the GRE link and guess what? There is a link where GREs are less to people who are unemployed.

This may matter to some of you.....half cost....$75 instead of $150.

Check it out.

Judy
P00057870 Wrote:Just clicked on the GRE link and guess what? There is a link where GREs are less to people who are unemployed.

This may matter to some of you.....half cost....$75 instead of $150.

Check it out.

Judy
Unfortunately this only applies to the GRE General Test, and not to the subject exams. Still, if you're thinking of grad school to improve your employment prospects, this is a good deal!

April 4 2009 through July 6 2009: 1 GRE subject exam + 1 Penn Foster credit + 11 DANTES exams = 61 credits. Average per-credit cost = $23.44.

"Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending." (Maria Robinson)[/SIZE][/COLOR]
Hi Barbecue22!

I agree with Perrik. I think the choice of GRE depends on personal talent/ability/interest/academic background.

I am in awe of the people who have attempted Psychology and/or Literature in English. Plus we have at least 2 superstars on the forum. Alissa earned the full credits for the Psychology GRE through Excelsior College and the full credits for the Literature in English GRE through Charter Oak. Perrik had an excellent score on the Literature in English GRE (twice!).

I would much rather try a combination of the Biochemistry, Math, and Computer Science GREs.

I don't know what this means yet, but EC's math major requires 3 calculus courses, while the Math GRE says it is 50% calculus.

I am very excited that you are interested in the GREs, too.

I also think that looking at the practice tests will help to guide you in your choice.

Are you considering a major, graduate program, or career that would affect which subjects you want to learn and earn GRE credits in?

Please keep us updated on your progress with this.
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
So far, I think I am going for Psych. I have ordered a book and from my calculations, I will duplicate credit for Intro to psych and social psych, not sure if my business statistics credit will duplicate.

Then i think I am also going to take another in November. I probably wont study as much so it would have to be something i have no lower credit in.

I dont really have a degree plan. I started my own part-time business recently and it is doing quite well. So now I have a little spending money to use on finishing my degree that I started in 2002. Even if I only get 3 new credits on each exam that is still pretty cheap. If I get more than that is great.

I just ordered cracking the gre psych and i am going to start with that. i have been blessed to have quite a great memory and do pretty good on all the tests i have taken in school. So hopefully i can score a few extra credits. I figure in the mean time i will download the gre psych test from the website and start practicing.

I will keep you updated. Thanks for responding!
Perrik -

I see you are in Silver Spring. I lived in Rockville all my life until I moved away about 7 months ago. I really miss it there. I am coming to visit next weekend. I can't wait.
barbeque22 Wrote:I see you are in Silver Spring. I lived in Rockville all my life until I moved away about 7 months ago. I really miss it there. I am coming to visit next weekend. I can't wait.
You've lived here all your life and you're crazy enough to come back in prime Hazy Hot & Humid season? :p

I'm in awe of anyone who willingly tackles the Biology and Biochemistry GREs. Good grief, I don't even understand the questions on the sample exam, let alone the answers!

Well I live at the beach in NC so hot weather and humidity is here too. I just miss the diversity and the quick pace. I don't miss how rude most people are because everyone down here is so nice and helpful.

Bio and Biochem can be difficult but I think I am going to go for the Biochem. I have yet to take Genetics but it has been studied in my Micro, Anatomy, Intro and Biological aspects of aging classes so I think that is my best shot. My brother has a masters in biochem so any questions i have, i will go to him.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  IT and Privacy Pro Tests Ashenwelt 13 2,563 02-11-2019, 11:35 AM
Last Post: jsd