Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gas (not that kind)
What does everyone think about this gas situation? Instead of going out all the time I have combined trips, and spent more time in doors watching movies and doing pushups lol.

I have read the tips and heard the news tips about ways to save gas, ex: driving slower, breaking less, crusing to stop lights and stop signs, decreasing drag ect...

I laugh at the people who still drive like morons on the road, I mean why does someone need to hit 80mph just so they can get in front of me, while I am a block from a red light?

I realize this gas situation is going to effect all of us, some harder then others, but honestly when I see people driving like this, it helps to know they are wasting so much more gas then I am, and that soon they will be at the pump once again! hilarious
Cleps Passed: (36) English Comp w/essay, Freshman Comp, A & I Lit, Princ of Management, , College Math, Humanities, US History 1 and US History 2, Marketing

Dantes Passed: (48) Astronomy, Supervision, Bus. Math, Intro to Bus, Human Resource Management, Ethics in America, Tech Writing, Intro to Computing, World Religions, Personal Finance, Intro to LE, Org Behavior, Environment & Humanity, Here's to your Health and Criminal Justice.

Traditional: (43)

FEMA: (13)

Military: (70+)
Yes and yes! I've now started telling my kids..."that's gonna cost $5-6 to go there and back and you want to me do this trip twice today?" They are starting to get the message that it really does cost just to jump in the car and "run over" to whathisnames house!

Of course we may feel good about the current prices in the near future...

Think gas is pricey now -- how about oil at $200 a barrel? :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Nation
(Gas predicted to spike to $200 a barrel).

I know someone who is paying close to $10 a gallon right now in the UK.

I was thinking about whether I'd do what one of the engineers I work with is doing...riding his bicycle to work one way most days of the week - that's approx. 23 miles a day - he started doing it to lose weight and now he says he's going to continue (he's lost the weight) to save on gas.

And on another note, would someone get congress off their patootie and change the d*** gas consumption requirements for Detroit? If Japan and Europe are selling cars now that do 45 miles to the gallon (albeit small cars) then why can't US mfgs give us better mileage before 2015 (and only 31.5 mpg by then at that!!!) ?????

Tell me that!@

Have a pleasant, gas free, serene day everyone! Smile
CLEPS/DANTES ATTEMPTED/PASSED Big Grin -21 Classes credited:
[SIZE=1][SIZE=1]- Human/Cultural Geography (SOC300) 69/Nov 08

[/SIZE]- Intro to Business Law (LEG100) 73/Nov 08
- Astronomy (HUM300) 68/Nov 08
- Human Resource Management (BUS310) 73/Jul 08
- Money and Banking (ECO320) 64/Jun 08
- Principles of Finance (FIN100) 67/May 08
- Principles of Macroeconomics (ECO100) 75/Apr 08
- Principles of Marketing 74/Apr 08
- Introduction to World Religions (HUM400) 78/Apr 08
- Analyzing & Interpreting Lit 69/Mar 08 (6 credits)
- Introductory Psychology 74/Feb 08
- Introductory Sociology 73/Jan 08
- Principles of Mgmt 75/Dec 05
- English Comp (cold) 59/Sep 05 (6 credits)
- Information Systems & Computer Apps 72/Sep 05
- College French Language 75/Jun 05 (12 credits)

+Traditional Credits Earned 2005-2008: 17 classes - last 3 traditional classes completed Oct/08
ALL DONE NOV 08. Degree received: BS in Business Administration, minor in Management, SCL. Saved $$$$$ and Time - Thanks to InstantCert.[/SIZE]
I don't know where you live but here in central CA we are paying 3.97- 4.08 per gallon. Diesel is well over $4.50. OPEC is claiming there is no supply shortage. The speculators are the ones being blamed for the rampant jumps, while the oil companies post record profits. This is inexcusable, it would be one thing if oil companies were in the poor house but the outrageous profit margins indicate something suspicious is going on.

So.... As you are aware of CA has a reputation for being a bunch of eco-friendly tree huggers. As a result there is a larger percentage of people over here converting to bio-diesel- (INCLUDING the Governator Arnold) primarily for environmental reasons. The kicker is cooking oil (even new off of the shelf) is WAY cheaper than diesel. As a result people would rather go to Costco, Winco, or Wal-Mart to and buy bulk cooking oil at about 2 bucks a gallon as opposed to Diesel's $4.50+ per gallon to pour in their tanks.

The oil companies pressured the legislators to pass sweeping legislation that all but outlaws the use of bio-fuels in CA. If a person is to use this they must pay additional taxes to cover the revenue loss as well as apply AND PAY for several permits that licenses them as fuel haulers/ distributors/ special storage handlers/ etc!!! In order to obtain these permits they must jump through mountains of red tape and pay dearly.

Those not complying with these new regulations will face severe fines! How's that for saving the earth? In the end it's all about greed and corruption. Think about it. Decades ago we sent a machine (made by the lowest bidder) to the moon with over a half million moving parts landed it and the crew on the moon, let them drive around, play frickin golf, then returned them safely many times over. We did this with an entire floor worth of primitive computers that didn't have the ability of one of today's laptops. Do you mean to tell me that we can do all of that 4 decades ago but we can't figure out how to get better gas mileage???

To finish off this rant we are in essence pumping money into hostile economies where the vast majority of its citizens would rather see America wiped from the face of the earth. You tell me what's wrong with this picture.:mad:
The best things in life aren't things.
~Brandon
I'm in Tucson, AZ and I agree with everything you just said!
Cleps Passed: (36) English Comp w/essay, Freshman Comp, A & I Lit, Princ of Management, , College Math, Humanities, US History 1 and US History 2, Marketing

Dantes Passed: (48) Astronomy, Supervision, Bus. Math, Intro to Bus, Human Resource Management, Ethics in America, Tech Writing, Intro to Computing, World Religions, Personal Finance, Intro to LE, Org Behavior, Environment & Humanity, Here's to your Health and Criminal Justice.

You have to rent "Who Killed The Electric Car." Netflix has it.
How about using other forms of alternative transportation that are already available to save on gas????

The bike?! Anyone ever heard of it? Wink

I bike everywhere! I would commute/ do my shopping, go to movies, visit friends on my bike. One of the reasons why I married my husband was because(at the time) he didn't seem to care about car ownership and most men I have dated couldn't wait to show off their cars. Back in my single days I dumped one guy, who was very handsome, for the sole fact he owned a hummer.

I live in the burbs now and the husband has succumbed to buying a car, but we only use it for errands, appts that might be too dangerous to get to by bike or trips that are too far away. We also take the commuter train downtown most days instead of car. Despite having a toddler, I use a stroller attachment I hook to my bike and take him along with me. My son loves it. As for the train, my son loves that too. So having children is no excuse not to save on gas! Neither is the weather. I used to bike year round in Chicago. Rain, sleet, hail, snow. I was biking. I do the same in the burbs.

My subdivision is a few blocks from the train station and I mostly walk or bike if I am running late. It boggles my mind to see people drive their cars only 3-4 blocks! Great that they will be using the train for the major leg of the trip but truly SHAMEFUL that they drive those few blocks at all. And no, most of these people are not invalids and they can stand to get some exercise. If people can't bear to be without their cars for a measly 3 blocks then there is no hope in getting Americans to cut their gas addiction. It has to start with the individual and I am beginning to lose faith in my fellow citizens.
When I am not studying - https://youtu.be/C-kk8xa0BLQ

MS in Public Health at SNHU in progress. Expected Grad Date - August 2017

Hardstyle Kettlebell Certified -2014, Ice Chamber Kettlebell Sport Certified - 2015

NCSF Personal Trainer -2010

Done! BS in LIBERAL STUDIES From Excelsior. Conferral Date - Dec 18, 2009!

Licensed Practical Nurse - 1996

Completed!
Military - 58 credits
Traditional - 12 credits
Clep - 21 credits
Excelsior Exams - Organizational Behavior(B), World Population (A), Ethics (A), Cultural Diversity (B),Psychology of A&A (A), Gerontology (B)
DSST -Drugs & Alcohol (A), Civil War (A), Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union (A), Social Psychology (A)
Penn Foster- Info Lit (passed)
I see you are military, do you live on base? As someone in the military you probebly know as I do, it's not always easy to ride your bike to work, especially if you live in an area where you are forced to live 10 miles or so away from the base.

But if I did live on base, I would never need to ride my car to work, or around base.

Sounds great! But with the exception of SF public transportation in CA is somewhere between third-world and non-existent. I would be the first to hop around on a train, bus & bike but it's simply too impractical... And dangerous! The best we can do is carpool and plan our trips better. Actually I take that back... We can create vehicles that utilize gas better as well as other sources. I'm waiting for a 100 mpg car to come out with a 60K price tag (most of which will be in taxes that will subsidize the oil industry for the profits they lost over better gas mileage.) Pardon my rants but gas is in excess of $4 out here and it's impacting everything in a negative way. :mad:
The best things in life aren't things.
~Brandon
I totally agree with the public transportation in CA. It's horrible! I used to live in Chicago and I always used the "L" train system or the bus. It had its bad moments but at least you knew you weren't killing the environment. I would love to take a bus to work but I would have to be on at least 4 different buses before I can even get to the gate. I practically live downtown (2 miles away) and very close to the city's major attractions. I live like a mile to the Naval Hospital and I asked to see if they, the Navy, have a bus system in place to take me from base to base. No luck, but if I park far enough from the main hospital entrance, a shuttle is there to pick me up and drive me .5 miles to the front entrance. What a total waste of government funds.
[COLOR="DimGray"]Intro to World Religions 68
Social Science and History 60
Principles of Statistics 60
Western Civilization I 58
Intro to Sociology 55
Astronomy 54
Technical Writing 54
Humanities 50
College Composition 50[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Blue"]C Programming - C
Electronic Instrumentation and Control - A
War and American Society - A
International Economics - A
Calculus II - B[/COLOR]
I don't know about on base, but here in NJ if you don't live in a big city public transport is almost nonexistent. I have a son who can not drive. He has not been able to pass the test (long story). He is 20 years old, but if I want him to get a job I will have to drive him there and back.

Don't say let him walk or ride a bike it is 2 miles to the nearest town (not much there either)and up hill the last mile back home.

I have cut back on my days going to work, carpool when possible, and consolidate errands, but the price of gas is still a killer. I remember the first time it cost $30 to fill my gas tank I was upset, now it is $50
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Kind of annoyed that professor won't let semester end. soliloquy 12 1,562 12-20-2015, 10:28 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  What kind of computer do you recommend? hicandle 42 4,683 01-28-2014, 05:52 PM
Last Post: hicandle
  What kind of music do you guys listen too twitterflix 10 2,720 09-06-2008, 11:04 AM
Last Post: Ruddigore
  What Kind Of Pets Do You Guys Have twitterflix 16 3,184 02-06-2008, 09:10 PM
Last Post: kimberlyaz