Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
General Studies Information Systems Concentration help needed
OP is talking about this degree
https://www.charteroak.edu/catalog/curre...tudies.php

You could get all the alt credit done, then enroll and start paying quarterly fees. Then see for sure which courses transfer in before taking the last few courses. 

Things don't work out, maybe pivoting to a PUG Professional Studies degree is a good option.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(11-22-2021, 09:11 PM)LevelUP Wrote: OP is talking about this degree
https://www.charteroak.edu/catalog/curre...tudies.php

You could get all the alt credit done, then enroll and start paying quarterly fees. Then see for sure which courses transfer in before taking the last few courses. 

Things don't work out, maybe pivoting to a PUG Professional Studies degree is a good option.

I graduated with the BSGS w/ ISS concentration so I know what she's referring to. They didn't consider courses in MIS or IS to be programming courses. Additionally, I'd steer clear of using an "Intro to programming course" to satisfy the "Logic" component. But, if you can get them to accept it in writing, go ahead.

Their choices appeared arbitrary, -- the head evaluator changed my course approvals after I asked for a review because my math and political science courses hadn't been credited. But, while correctly crediting the aforementioned courses, she deleted upper-level credit for courses that were previously approved.

So, my experience wasn't ideal but I graduated and have moved on to better things. Wink
"A COSC admissions advisor just confirmed that "most programming courses" satisfy the logic requirement.    Here's a related excerpt from the email conversation:"

"I was also informed that most programming courses will satisfy the logic requirement as would a general logic course typically found in mathematics or philosophy departments (such as our MAT 115).  That’s the most I can do if you have questions about non-Charter Oak courses."

COSC's course MAT 115
https://www.charteroak.edu/bb/syllabi/ma...us_8wk.php

Is almost exactly like this study.com course
https://study.com/academy/course/humanit...lysis.html

That would be easier than taking a programming course.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
I cant believe they think they can compete with other RA institutions if they will force students to take a lot of courses from them. Most of people are signing up to get COSC degrees due to ability to take only 2 courses from them. Which cuts off costs tremendously. Dont know what they r thinking ...... people will go somewhere else...
(11-22-2021, 09:32 PM)LevelUP Wrote: "A COSC admissions advisor just confirmed that "most programming courses" satisfy the logic requirement.    Here's a related excerpt from the email conversation:"

"I was also informed that most programming courses will satisfy the logic requirement as would a general logic course typically found in mathematics or philosophy departments (such as our MAT 115).  That’s the most I can do if you have questions about non-Charter Oak courses."

COSC's course MAT 115
https://www.charteroak.edu/bb/syllabi/ma...us_8wk.php

Is almost exactly like this study.com course
https://study.com/academy/course/humanit...lysis.html

That would be easier than taking a programming course.

"Most". The devil's in the details. It can be left to interpretation. I was advising the OP and others that if what COSC said about programming courses being used to satisfy the Logic component is true, it would be safer to take a pure programming course. Like non-introductory courses titled, C, Java, C++ or Python Programming. But, it depends on what they accept at the time of your evaluation. If they are no longer giving evaluations before enrollment stick to the types of courses I stated.
[-] The following 1 user Likes vanglorious's post:
  • degree4nana
I sadly advise people to avoid COSC ever since they changed their policies and become very unaccommodating about ACE credits. I just don't think they're a good option at all anymore.
Thank goodness there are other schools, like UMPI and EC! It's a shame, because I think COSC used to be one of the easiest-to-deal-with schools. I almost chose them, back in the day, before settling on my current degree path. I wouldn't go with them now, though.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  COSC Drops Liberal Studies Concentration Tedium 6 1,879 03-15-2022, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Tedium
  COSC BA Phycology Degree plan needed vetvso 16 2,543 02-08-2022, 03:49 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  American Studies - American Arts creationstory 1 760 11-05-2021, 07:36 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  General Studies Paralegal studies Raine 19 2,876 09-26-2021, 01:46 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Help mapping a COSC BA General Studies HBCIRCA14 0 882 02-01-2021, 04:21 PM
Last Post: HBCIRCA14
  COSC Biology Concentration NA satori 3 1,113 11-04-2020, 01:27 PM
Last Post: ROYISAGIRL
  Physics Concentration at Charter Oak State College sciencemathematics1 19 3,394 07-20-2020, 01:44 PM
Last Post: conflitz
  General Studies? Brichinica 3 1,354 07-05-2020, 01:25 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Cosc degree in american studies Clepking100 3 1,236 05-26-2020, 03:33 PM
Last Post: Tedium
  Cosc accepts information systems clep in lieu of MIS Clepking100 1 717 05-21-2020, 09:35 AM
Last Post: ctcarl