Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting Rid of My Record at a School
yeah thanks, i'll be very interested to see what comes of it. I submitted mine with the F because i did not want to risk any delays when the time comes.it would be nice if they truly don't factor it into my GPA. i guess we'll see!
(06-02-2019, 12:16 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(06-01-2019, 04:39 PM)SuZQ2 Wrote: That despised "C" is the first grade that shows up on all my transcripts - it even affected my GPA 30+ years later. I know it could be a lot worse, but yeah, it still bugs me...

I'm not sure I understand how it is the "first grade that shows up on all my transcripts".  I don't even know what that means.

And yes, it will affect your overall GPA.  But, it's only 1 grade.

I accumulated the bulk of my credits from the same CC over a period of 10+ years - when I submitted those credits to EC for evaluation the transcript listed them by date from oldest to most recent. Thus, the first college-level course I took (the "C") is the first course to appear on my transcript for both my AA and then my BS.

That one grade knocked me down from Summa Cum Laude to Magna, so...ughhhh.
"I dwell in Possibility."  Emily Dickinson
2011-12  CLEP
 Int Psych - 75 / H G & D - 69 / Ed Psych - 72 / Am Lit - 80  / A & I Lit - 75 / Eng Lit - 73 2012-13  SL  Eng Comp I - 95.3% P /
Eng Comp II - 97.5% P 2014  EC/UEXCEL  Ab Psych - A / Soc Psych - A / Psych A & A - A  / Gerontology - A / Info Lit - P 2015 BYU Sport Psych - A / DSST Sub Abuse - 470 / Int World Rel - 481 / H T Y H - 465 / Tor College HIS 301 - 81% P 2016 EC LA498 Capstone - A
1991 AA Liberal Arts USNY Regents College
2016 BSLA Magna Cum Laude Excelsior College  - A 5 year journey COMPLETED!

2017-2019 Study.com Certs. - Am Lit/Brit Lit/Shakespeare/Poetry Review Shmoop - Shakespeare's Plays/Shakespeare in Context/Women's Lit
(06-02-2019, 03:18 PM)saraholson Wrote: yeah thanks, i'll be very interested to see what comes of it. I submitted mine with the F because i did not want to risk any delays when the time comes.it would be nice if they truly don't factor it into my GPA. i guess we'll see!

Most schools don't factor grades from other schools into your GPA at that school.  So, if you go to 5 schools, you'll have 5 separate GPA's, and each school only has it's own courses in the GPA.

Now, when you apply, and they want to see your previous records and compute a GPA, it's an internal process meant to see if you're ready to take college-level coursework (usually).  But they don't use that to compute your GPA.

Also, if you later apply for grad school, they may compute a GPA based on all of your sources.  Again, it's internal, and has nothing to do with the GPA you'll get if you go there.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • AwardTour
(06-02-2019, 04:39 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(06-02-2019, 03:18 PM)saraholson Wrote: yeah thanks, i'll be very interested to see what comes of it. I submitted mine with the F because i did not want to risk any delays when the time comes.it would be nice if they truly don't factor it into my GPA. i guess we'll see!

Most schools don't factor grades from other schools into your GPA at that school.  So, if you go to 5 schools, you'll have 5 separate GPA's, and each school only has it's own courses in the GPA.

Now, when you apply, and they want to see your previous records and compute a GPA, it's an internal process meant to see if you're ready to take college-level coursework (usually).  But they don't use that to compute your GPA.

Also, if you later apply for grad school, they may compute a GPA based on all of your sources.  Again, it's internal, and has nothing to do with the GPA you'll get if you go there.
Would there be any potential issues with the National Student Clearing House later at graduation time? TESU told me in that email that I did not have to submit past transcripts so I didn't. I have never heard of anyone being in a situation where their college issues them a degree at graduation but the National Student Clearing House refuses to honor/recognize it. I am not saying it can't happen, maybe it could for a variety of other reasons (school suspension/student conduct at other institutions, owing money to other schools...etc...). What is your opinion?
Currently working on:  Capstone

Eastern University - (9 of 10 Courses Completed) (27 Credits)
Master's in Data Science

Western Governors University (WGU) - Completed in 2020.
Bachelor of Science, Business - Information Technology Management

TEEX (3 courses, 10 cr)  
The Institutes (3 cr) 
NFA (1 cr)  
ALEKS (3 cr) 
SOPHIA (21 courses, 57 cr) 
Study.com (18 courses, 54 cr) 
WGU (12 courses, 38 CUs)
Eastern University (9 courses, 27 cr)
(06-02-2019, 06:07 PM)AwardTour Wrote: Would there be any potential issues with the National Student Clearing House later at graduation time? TESU told me in that email that I did not have to submit past transcripts so I didn't. I have never heard of anyone being in a situation where their college issues them a degree at graduation but the National Student Clearing House refuses to honor/recognize it. I am not saying it can't happen, maybe it could for a variety of other reasons (school suspension/student conduct at other institutions, owing money to other schools...etc...). What is your opinion?

I would expect so. They need to see all your transcripts in order to be sure you didn't earn the same degree somewhere else, or you don't already have two bachelor's degrees, that sort of thing. I'll be fascinated if they don't insist on getting it before you graduate.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • AwardTour
(06-02-2019, 08:40 PM)davewill Wrote:
(06-02-2019, 06:07 PM)AwardTour Wrote: Would there be any potential issues with the National Student Clearing House later at graduation time? TESU told me in that email that I did not have to submit past transcripts so I didn't. I have never heard of anyone being in a situation where their college issues them a degree at graduation but the National Student Clearing House refuses to honor/recognize it. I am not saying it can't happen, maybe it could for a variety of other reasons (school suspension/student conduct at other institutions, owing money to other schools...etc...). What is your opinion?

I would expect so.  They need to see all your transcripts in order to be sure you didn't earn the same degree somewhere else, or you don't already have two bachelor's degrees, that sort of thing. I'll be fascinated if they don't insist on getting it before you graduate.

Thanks for responding,

Just to be on the safe side, I think I am going to go ahead and submit my old CC transcripts to TESU. Based on a few posts above this one, it sounds like it will not impact my GPA so I have nothing to lose it seems. I have multiple failing grades and was put on academic probation after I temporarily left the country without dropping my classes. I could have handled things better but that is the past now. I do not owe any colleges any money. I just have multiple failing grades and my last status with the college was being put on academic probation in 2002. 

It would be a nightmare if TESU said "After reviewing your old transcripts we are placing you on academic probation!!!".

Master's in Data Science

TEEX (3 courses, 10 cr)  
The Institutes (3 cr) 
NFA (1 cr)  
ALEKS (3 cr) 
WGU (12 courses, 38 CUs)
Always take anything you see from TESU advising with a grain of salt and a bit of skepticism. It seems like they are wrong more often than they are right.

TESU would not be using the data from the national student clearinghouse for GPA purposes, so that is accurate. However, most schools (and I'm almost 100% sure TESU falls into this) do check your NSC records for previous school transcripts that were not submitted as part of the degree audit all the same. They do this for two reasons:
  1. To make sure you aren't trying to get a second degree in the same subject, as was mentioned above
  2. To make sure you are not on academic suspension/probation from a previous school for an unpaid debt
The GPA at previous schools is really only looked at during admissions, and since TESU is open admissions they don't really even care that much as long as the credits you submit meet their requirements. They drop the low grades from the evaluation anyway.

The only GPA that matters is the one you earn at the school directly (aka the institutional GPA) since this is the one that determines your academic status and can keep you from graduating.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • AwardTour
(06-02-2019, 09:13 PM)Merlin Wrote: Always take anything you see from TESU advising with a grain of salt and a bit of skepticism. It seems like they are wrong more often than they are right.

TESU would not be using the data from the national student clearinghouse for GPA purposes, so that is accurate. However, most schools (and I'm almost 100% sure TESU falls into this) do check your NSC records for previous school transcripts that were not submitted as part of the degree audit all the same. They do this for two reasons:
  1. To make sure you aren't trying to get a second degree in the same subject, as was mentioned above
  2. To make sure you are not on academic suspension/probation from a previous school for an unpaid debt
The GPA at previous schools is really only looked at during admissions, and since TESU is open admissions they don't really even care that much as long as the credits you submit meet their requirements. They drop the low grades from the evaluation anyway.

The only GPA that matters is the one you earn at the school directly (aka the institutional GPA) since this is the one that determines your academic status and can keep you from graduating.
Thanks for the reply,

LOL, I hear you on taking what TESU says with a grain of salt! After hearing from you and Davewill I am going to go ahead and submit my old transcripts just to be safe. It will no doubt come up during the NSC audit that you speak of. I'm glad I checked with you guys, thanks for the advice.

Master's in Data Science

TEEX (3 courses, 10 cr)  
The Institutes (3 cr) 
NFA (1 cr)  
ALEKS (3 cr) 
WGU (12 courses, 38 CUs)
(06-02-2019, 01:02 AM)AwardTour Wrote: Hello,
Thank you for your email. We do not include your previous credits when calculating your GPA. Only your TESU courses are factored in to the GPA.
You are not required to submit your transcripts when you apply. If you do not plan on submitting your transcripts, please do not list them on the application. Otherwise the Registrar's office will be waiting on them to do an evaluation for you and can cause a delay in you setting up an Academic Advising appointment.
Please let us know if you have further questions and we will be more than happy to help you. Thank you.

(I edited out the name and contact info)
Admissions and Enrollment Services Counselor
Office of Admissions & Enrollment Services
Thomas Edison State University
[/color][/size][/color]

You can't trust that reply. (1) you asked the wrong person. ADMISSIONS have nothing to do with RECORDS and more importantly this person is wrong.
(2) "otherwise" provides an explanation that demonstrates they don't know what they're talking about.

This is a zinger waiting to happen at a graduation audit. The stories of getting away with this are all pre-student clearinghouse.
(06-02-2019, 09:00 PM)AwardTour Wrote: ... It would be a nightmare if TESU said "After reviewing your old transcripts we are placing you on academic probation!!!".

Well, that's not going to happen because TESU truly doesn't care about your earlier grades. I suppose it could pull your transfer GPA down below 2.0, but since it's only one course, that seems unlikely in the extreme. The main downside would be slowing down the graduation audit process and causing you to miss your chosen graduation date...which is quite bad enough.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help - Math Degree for Grad School Frederico.Sandoval 9 586 04-03-2024, 12:21 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Graham School - University of Chicago Charles Fout 12 1,736 03-22-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  101yr Old Woman Returned To School And Will Graduate College With Her Granddaughter LevelUP 0 247 01-25-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 669 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Canada's Newest Medical School - Opening 2026 at SFU bjcheung77 1 340 11-01-2023, 05:41 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Brown Medical School withdraws from U.S. News rankings allvia 2 457 10-30-2023, 09:51 PM
  How Technology Shapes Ideas - University of Chicago Graham School Charles Fout 0 268 09-15-2023, 09:38 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  ACSOM - Caribbean Medical School (New!) bjcheung77 9 1,149 09-05-2023, 12:19 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  UK equivalent of high school diploma axa 8 4,592 09-01-2023, 08:13 PM
  High School online from the UK | 9 months, A Levels equivalent in the US elcastor21 7 690 08-26-2023, 01:01 PM
Last Post: elcastor21