Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting advice from a counselor
It's been a loooong time since I earned my degrees and things are very different now so I can't quite remember: At what point can someone get a meeting with an academic counselor from a college and get a specific degree plan (take this not that)? After paying for the registration fee? I've read a lot of posts of people applying to all 3 or 4 schools and seeing who gives them the most credit, but do you actually get specific guidance for future courses at that time?
TIA
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Homeschool College Guidance Counselor Mom to twin 18 yo boys

CsmLearn
Study: US History, Pres Skills, Enviro Sci, Ethics America, Intro CJ, Meteorology, Forensic Sci, Criminology
Sophia: Psych, Visual Comms, Sociology, Eff Teams, Mng Conflict,  Anc Greek, Art History 1, Intro to IT,
Intro to Bus, Engl Comp 1&2, Religion, Conflict Reso, College Algebra, US History 2
TEEX: Death Invest
Coopersmith: Stress Mgmt, Therapeutic, Drugs & Society, Sport & Exercise, Psych of Motivation, Pos Psych, Career Coun
Community College: Comp Info Syst, A+ Hardware, A+ Op Syst, Linux Op Syst, Networks, Switching & Routing, Networking, IT Security
Computer Certs: Comp Tia A+

Planning for (2) Bachelors: BSLS 

Generally once you have applied, you can access academic advising. However, the Big3 (and probably every other school on the planet) are generally unhelpful when it comes to recommending the types of alternative credit we specialize in around here. They will only help you take regular courses which are quite expensive. That's one of the reasons this community exists, to help people map out their own path for much cheaper than the school can help you do.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 2 users Like davewill's post:
  • TheMaskedMutant, TwinMom
I am only posting on here because your username is TwinMom. My wife and I have 2 year old twin boys. LOL
Master of Science (M.S.) in Quantitative Management: Business Analytics (2023)
Duke University | The Fuqua School of Business

Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.) in Management (2019)
Southeastern Oklahoma State University | The John Massey School of Business

Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Biology (2015)
East Central University | The College of Health Sciences

Accumulated Credit: Undergraduate - 126 Hours, Graduate - 83 Hours
[-] The following 1 user Likes ThatBankDude's post:
  • TwinMom
(06-25-2019, 01:04 PM)ThatBankDude Wrote: I am only posting on here because your username is TwinMom. My wife and I have 2 year old twin boys. LOL

Ha!  So you have some time to plan things out then! Mine are 13.

(06-25-2019, 01:02 PM)davewill Wrote: Generally once you have applied, you can access academic advising. However, the Big3 (and probably every other school on the planet) are generally unhelpful when it comes to recommending the types of alternative credit we specialize in around here. They will only help you take regular courses which are quite expensive. That's one of the reasons this community exists, to help people map out their own path for much cheaper than the school can help you do.

Agree and I am sooooo grateful you all and this board exist!  I would not be able to plan without it/you! By the time mine are 16 yo and can apply they will have completed all of their Gen Eds and have the equivalent of an Associates so I'm hoping at that time to get very specific info on courses going forward.  I will say, I have reached out via email several times to COSC and they have answered my specific course questions with the caveat: things can change, this is no guarantee, etc. But the fact that they respond at all (knowing my twins are 13 yo) is encouraging!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Homeschool College Guidance Counselor Mom to twin 18 yo boys

CsmLearn
Study: US History, Pres Skills, Enviro Sci, Ethics America, Intro CJ, Meteorology, Forensic Sci, Criminology
Sophia: Psych, Visual Comms, Sociology, Eff Teams, Mng Conflict,  Anc Greek, Art History 1, Intro to IT,
Intro to Bus, Engl Comp 1&2, Religion, Conflict Reso, College Algebra, US History 2
TEEX: Death Invest
Coopersmith: Stress Mgmt, Therapeutic, Drugs & Society, Sport & Exercise, Psych of Motivation, Pos Psych, Career Coun
Community College: Comp Info Syst, A+ Hardware, A+ Op Syst, Linux Op Syst, Networks, Switching & Routing, Networking, IT Security
Computer Certs: Comp Tia A+

Planning for (2) Bachelors: BSLS 

(06-25-2019, 12:39 PM)TwinMom Wrote: It's been a loooong time since I earned my degrees and things are very different now so I can't quite remember: At what point can someone get a meeting with an academic counselor from a college and get a specific degree plan (take this not that)? After paying for the registration fee? I've read a lot of posts of people applying to all 3 or 4 schools and seeing who gives them the most credit, but do you actually get specific guidance for future courses at that time?
TIA

Based on Excelsior College's description, it would seem you can start dealing with the academic adviser once you become Matriculated Student Status (see link below), as it's at that point that you and the school know where you stand in your degree program.  It wouldn't makes sense to start trying to make an official plan before that.

https://www.excelsior.edu/policy/enrollm...iculation/
BSNS - Excelsior College - 2019

AASIO - Cochise College - 2012

[-] The following 1 user Likes TheMaskedMutant's post:
  • TwinMom

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 666 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Burnout advice anewmanx 13 2,591 11-18-2023, 08:46 PM
Last Post: anewmanx
Question Seeking advice - should I switch degrees? impasta 15 3,211 06-09-2023, 02:00 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Nutrition & Fitness - degree advice lumina 10 1,045 01-23-2023, 02:08 PM
Last Post: lumina
  Need advice to get either 30 credits and be registered at a school or 60 suzycupcake 20 2,010 06-18-2022, 10:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Warren Buffett Has 1 Key Piece of Career Advice for College Kids LevelUP 2 705 03-08-2022, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Tedium
  Any Project Managers on this board? Seeking advice collegechick 3 971 12-21-2021, 07:02 PM
Last Post: ashkir
Question Is an Ivy-League Nursing school even worth it? Plus I need some advice too 2L8 25 5,744 09-19-2021, 10:51 AM
Last Post: Alpha
Star TESU or WGU? Advice needed, Ground 0, want to be as realistic as possible! OP88 15 4,167 05-29-2021, 12:36 PM
Last Post: OP88
Big Grin CLEP US HISTORY II Advice basol007 2 1,266 03-14-2021, 02:14 PM
Last Post: basol007