Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting started with BALS (Template Q&A)
(03-14-2019, 11:45 AM)CiggyTardust Wrote:
(01-13-2019, 08:25 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Here's one for you.

Hi @dfrecore and everyone else  Smile

I've been away for a few weeks because life got hectic but the good news is I'm enrolled at TESU and they sent me back my Academic Evaluation.  When I look it over, it looks a bit different from the plan you laid out for me @dfrecore (see this link for the evaluation).  I'm wondering about the courses you listed under Free Electives in my plan that are now under B: Liberal Stud in the Academic Evaluation--is the evaluation considered the final word or can I structure it as you did in the plan from above?  Now with the discrepancy I'm a bit confused on my path forward so any insights you can offer would be much appreciated.  

So, I couldn't put things in exactly the right spots since I wasn't sure what they would confirm things as - better to think they'll only come in as Free Electives than find out later they won't work as you'd hoped.  It's why I have the caveat at the bottom: "This is an approximation of what TESU will create during their evaluation process.  It is intended as a guide, not as a guarantee."

So, I updated the plan.  The one thing I did was keep Comparative Politics up in the Civic Engagement requirement - you can opt to take American Government, put it there, and then move CompPol down to the LL AOS or you can just take something else that will work in the LL AOS.  Totally up to you.

I did not put CAC125: New Majors Orientation in KHC, since it's only 1cr and it will get bumped out when you take 4 3cr courses and put them there.

Also, it looks like TESU missed IAS252: Develop Processes Leadership - they need to evaluate that single 1cr course.

Attached Files
.pdf   CiggyTardust TESU BALS.pdf (Size: 72.07 KB / Downloads: 15)
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(03-14-2019, 12:32 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(03-14-2019, 11:45 AM)CiggyTardust Wrote:
(01-13-2019, 08:25 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Here's one for you.

Hi @dfrecore and everyone else  Smile

I've been away for a few weeks because life got hectic but the good news is I'm enrolled at TESU and they sent me back my Academic Evaluation.  When I look it over, it looks a bit different from the plan you laid out for me @dfrecore (see this link for the evaluation).  I'm wondering about the courses you listed under Free Electives in my plan that are now under B: Liberal Stud in the Academic Evaluation--is the evaluation considered the final word or can I structure it as you did in the plan from above?  Now with the discrepancy I'm a bit confused on my path forward so any insights you can offer would be much appreciated.  

So, I couldn't put things in exactly the right spots since I wasn't sure what they would confirm things as - better to think they'll only come in as Free Electives than find out later they won't work as you'd hoped.  It's why I have the caveat at the bottom: "This is an approximation of what TESU will create during their evaluation process.  It is intended as a guide, not as a guarantee."

So, I updated the plan.  The one thing I did was keep Comparative Politics up in the Civic Engagement requirement - you can opt to take American Government, put it there, and then move CompPol down to the LL AOS or you can just take something else that will work in the LL AOS.  Totally up to you.

I did not put CAC125: New Majors Orientation in KHC, since it's only 1cr and it will get bumped out when you take 4 3cr courses and put them there.

Also, it looks like TESU missed IAS252: Develop Processes Leadership - they need to evaluate that single 1cr course.

Thanks so much!  You caught a course they missed--I'll be sure to reach out to them about that Smile

Can anyone chime in on the TEEX Cybersecurity courses?  I believe they were expiring last I checked in January--have they been renewed for ACE eligibility?
The TEEX Cybersecurity courses were recently renewed and evaluated by ACE for more credit hours than before. They now expire in November 2021. They also added a few new low cost online courses. The most recent ACE evaluation and recommendations for the previous and new courses can be found on the ACE TEEX information page.
Hello all! After a lengthy hiatus this year due to personal matters I'd rather not get into, I have decided to re-focus and get back to completing my BALS. @dfrecore was gracious enough to help me with an academic plan as seen above and I was enrolled at TESU before I had to step away and attend to other things. Coming back, I'm a bit overwhelmed by the amount of information that there is to reabsorb, especially as it's constantly changing. Are there any significant changes that I need to keep in mind as I re-enroll at TESU or can I just move forward with the same academic plan from early 2019? Thanks so much for your help!
You should check your applicant or enrollment status . It lasts a year from when you applied or enrolled. If it hasn't lapsed, then you'll want to register for a course or TECEP before it does to extend your enrollment and keep your current catalog.

P.S. I notice you've stepped away a few times now. It's none of my business why, but I would note the people who are successful at this keep some momentum even if they can't keep going full tilt. Try keeping some sort of classwork going and keep visiting here regularly to keep up on changes, if you can. I did my BACS essentially one course at a time. It took me almost two years, but it got done.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Why People Take SO LONG to Get Started? LevelUP 13 1,710 03-05-2022, 02:12 PM
Last Post: davewill
  BALS degree Foreign Service Officer Test vetvso 2 778 02-25-2022, 02:49 AM
Last Post: vetvso
  Does anyone regret their BALS? Nadiv10 3 678 09-21-2021, 06:55 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  BALS degree at TSU LokiBear 2 842 02-19-2021, 08:21 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Big Grin Desperately Need Help To Get Started Risingstar 12 2,233 10-18-2019, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Risingstar
  BALS Criminal Justice concentration questions. Acaidian 6 1,502 10-07-2019, 07:03 PM
Last Post: suzycupcake
  BALS/BSLS Plan Help for a Newbie? HMohamed12 9 1,918 09-11-2019, 07:43 PM
Last Post: Tlm
  Bals how long to finish? SweetsugarNL 25 3,652 08-02-2019, 06:18 PM
Last Post: Cheeseburrito
  Applying for an AA and BALS Tlm 3 1,015 06-23-2019, 04:17 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  in 2017 I gave up on this before I even started. Now I'm serious, but I need help. David.Hamad 21 3,274 05-10-2019, 01:44 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle