Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Glad to be here!
Very nice.

Thank you, All.

I looked at TESU and saw that it said that I needed to get 39 more credits to graduate, but, I only saw 7 boxes filled in (of which 2 were the SOS-110 and the Capstone project.) Do I just need to fill the rest with Electives?

Also, is the standard course to just enroll in Study.com to take the classes I need (and pick/take extra Electives, if needed,) and then pay the $75 to TESU?

Oh - how hard/time-consuming are the SOS-110 and the Capstone classes/project?

Thanks!
(02-24-2019, 09:10 AM)jeremyeugenejames Wrote: Very nice.

Thank you, All.

I looked at TESU and saw that it said that I needed to get 39 more credits to graduate, but, I only saw 7 boxes filled in (of which 2 were the SOS-110 and the Capstone project.)  Do I just need to fill the rest with Electives?

Also, is the standard course to just enroll in Study.com to take the classes I need (and pick/take extra Electives, if needed,) and then pay the $75 to TESU?

Thanks!

The holes in your evaluation determine which courses you still need to take. I wouldn't just take a bunch of electives unless that is what you need. For the BSBA, you only get 6 credits (2 courses) in free electives, so everything else needs to be aligned to some requirement of your degree plan.

Many people will complete all the credits needed and then enroll at TESU to take the cornerstone and capstone as the last two courses. Others prefer to take the cornerstone first so they become enrolled (which gives access to more transcript evaluations and academic advising plus allows you to pre-plan courses) and then take all their alt credit courses, leaving the capstone for the end. Ultimately it is up to you.

The cornerstone (SOS-110) is a 3-credit 12-week course. It includes a fair amount of writing, from what I've seen others post, but isn't hard at all.

The business capstone (BUS-421: Strategic Management) is also a 3-credit 12-week course but is much tougher, mostly because it packs a lot into each week. Throughout the course you will read 370 pages of a textbook, read and analyze 7 case studies (10-20 pages each) and write a 3-5 page paper about each, prepare 5-11 mini-papers (1/2 to 1 page each) for class discussion and respond to at least 2 other student submissions, and analyze a company to prepare a ~25 page strategy recommendation report as your final paper. The first week or two is the hardest... probably to scare away the people who aren't ready; we had several people drop out of my capstone cohort during that time.

I recommend taking the capstone by itself, particularly if you are also working and/or have other commitments at the same time. I expect the cornerstone won't take as much of your time so you can probably be taking other courses and such at the same time.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(02-24-2019, 08:43 PM)Merlin Wrote:
(02-24-2019, 09:10 AM)jeremyeugenejames Wrote: Very nice.

Thank you, All.

I looked at TESU and saw that it said that I needed to get 39 more credits to graduate, but, I only saw 7 boxes filled in (of which 2 were the SOS-110 and the Capstone project.)  Do I just need to fill the rest with Electives?

Thanks!

The holes in your evaluation determine which courses you still need to take. I wouldn't just take a bunch of electives unless that is what you need. For the BSBA, you only get 6 credits (2 courses) in free electives, so everything else needs to be aligned to some requirement of your degree plan.

Many people will complete all the credits needed and then enroll at TESU to take the cornerstone and capstone as the last two courses. Others prefer to take the cornerstone first so they become enrolled (which gives access to more transcript evaluations and academic advising plus allows you to pre-plan courses) and then take all their alt credit courses, leaving the capstone for the end. Ultimately it is up to you.

The cornerstone (SOS-110) is a 3-credit 12-week course. It includes a fair amount of writing, from what I've seen others post, but isn't hard at all.

The business capstone (BUS-421: Strategic Management) is also a 3-credit 12-week course but is much tougher, mostly because it packs a lot into each week. Throughout the course you will read 370 pages of a textbook, read and analyze 7 case studies (10-20 pages each) and write a 3-5 page paper about each, prepare 5-11 mini-papers (1/2 to 1 page each) for class discussion and respond to at least 2 other student submissions, and analyze a company to prepare a ~25 page strategy recommendation report as your final paper. The first week or two is the hardest... probably to scare away the people who aren't ready; we had several people drop out of my capstone cohort during that time.

I recommend taking the capstone by itself, particularly if you are also working and/or have other commitments at the same time. I expect the cornerstone won't take as much of your time so you can probably be taking other courses and such at the same time.
Ok. 

So,.if I'm understanding, I definitely need the ones highlighted, but, once I enroll, they will tell me what else I need, and 8 should be able to get those at Study.com?
(02-24-2019, 09:08 PM)jeremyeugenejames Wrote:
(02-24-2019, 08:43 PM)Merlin Wrote: The holes in your evaluation determine which courses you still need to take. I wouldn't just take a bunch of electives unless that is what you need. For the BSBA, you only get 6 credits (2 courses) in free electives, so everything else needs to be aligned to some requirement of your degree plan.

Ok. 

So,.if I'm understanding, I definitely need the ones highlighted, but, once I enroll, they will tell me what else I need, and 8 should be able to get those at Study.com?

Did you decide for sure on TESU BSBA? If so, what specialization? General Management (GM) is the specialization for the generic BSBA degree, but I don't know if you wanted to specialize in a specific area.

If you want help figuring out what courses to take via Study.com (or elsewhere) this is the place. TESU won't help with that, they will only help find courses you can take from them.

Also, you don't need to enroll until you're ready to take courses from TESU directly. However, you may want to enroll by registering for the cornerstone course since you have to take it anyway and getting it done sooner rather than later is a good idea. You'll then register for and take the capstone course once you're about ready to graduate.

It doesn't look like dfrecore sent you a degree plan already, so since you already have your academic evaluation, you may just want to post up a copy of that evaluation so we can see which specialization you were evaluated for and where TESU placed your existing courses. From there we can see what you're missing. That will make the degree plan easier since we just have to fill in the gaps.

FYI, many people choose to redact their name at the top of the evaluation, but if you're posting here with your real name here it may not matter to you.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:

WGU Ambassador
Forgive me for the dumb question - is the Academic Evaluation something I get from TESU?
(02-25-2019, 12:56 PM)jeremyeugenejames Wrote: Forgive me for the dumb question - is the Academic Evaluation something I get from TESU?

Yes, the academic evaluation is what TESU will give you after you apply and send in all your existing transcripts (can take up to a month to complete).  Once you have that we can help you complete/fill in what is needed - TESU does not advise on alternative credits, they do however have some preexisting transfer agreements in place with certain providers.    There are many options for the BSBA-GM AOS credits, but it always best when you have many credits already (as you do) to know what they'll apply for what first.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

(02-25-2019, 12:56 PM)jeremyeugenejames Wrote: Forgive me for the dumb question - is the Academic Evaluation something I get from TESU?

Oh, I assumed you already had the evaluation complete due to your statement about looking at something from TESU and having boxes filled:

jeremyeugenejames Wrote:I looked at TESU and saw that it said that I needed to get 39 more credits to graduate, but, I only saw 7 boxes filled in (of which 2 were the SOS-110 and the Capstone project.)  Do I just need to fill the rest with Electives?

If you haven't received your academic evaluation, what were you referring to in that quote?

Complete:

WGU Ambassador
I see where I got confused. Sorry.

I was looking at the estimate that was on post #5 in this thread. I didn't completely understand the process.

Now, the big thing for me is to weigh the cost/benefit of completing my degree. It sounds like I could have have it completed in 6 months or less (since the capstone is a 12 week course.) Actually, I would almost think that I could have all of the Study.com courses done in a month or two, because I may not have that much left to finish.

I looked at the General Management and also the Marketing. The Marketing honestly looks more interesting, and it may not be that much different as far as number of units I would need to take.

By the way, this is super cool. This could totally revolutionize a lot of the educational process. Do you guys monetize this process? I know that you probably get a lot of compensation "in the feels."

Thanks!
(02-26-2019, 10:26 AM)jeremyeugenejames Wrote: I see where I got confused.  Sorry.

I was looking at the estimate that was on post #5 in this thread.  I didn't completely understand the process.

Now, the big thing for me is to weigh the cost/benefit of completing my degree.   It sounds like I could have have it completed in 6 months or less (since the capstone is a 12 week course.)  Actually, I would almost think that I could have all of the Study.com courses done in a month or two, because I may not have that much left to finish.

I looked at the General Management and also the Marketing. The Marketing honestly looks more interesting, and it may not be that much different as far as number of units I would need to take.  

By the way, this is super cool.  This could totally revolutionize a lot of the educational process.  Do you guys monetize this process?  I know that you probably get a lot of compensation "in the feels."

Thanks!

Unfortunately I don't get paid on the forum, although that would certainly be nice.  "The feels" don't pay the bills! LOL. 

Since you haven't taken any AOS courses in GM, then it's an easy switch to Marketing - no change in the number of credits.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Since I have been on board last time, I have had a very busy couple of months.

I put my eyes back on the forum the other day, and, read about some possible changes with COSC and TESU.

There has been a job come open that interests me, but, requires a degree. I may not get it this time, but, it may come open down the line.

Has there been any significant changes since my transcript was last evaluated?

Thanks!