Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Goals for 2019
What are your Goals for 2019? Anything education related or not. Studies show if you write down your goals and share them you are more likely to achieve. Up to 5 goals because any more than that is too many.

Here are my goals for 2019:

1) Finish my Bachelor's degree. Shouldn't be too hard as I'm currently only 15 credits away from a BALS.

2) Read 200 books. Might sound crazy, but I read over 130 in 2018

3) Give at least one tedx talk.
Reach 18 graduate credit hours in English. I'm currently at 12 with two more Harvard Poetry classes to reach 20.

Reach 18 graduate credit hours in Economics. I'm currently at 16 and I'm eyeing a summer seminar for teachers in NYC.

Finish the NationsU master's in theology. If I get this one, I get it.

Finish all the educational leadership classes in the Early Childhood Admin. program during the free period at Walden.
[-] The following 2 users Like eriehiker's post:
  • hsfamfun, Ideas
(12-27-2018, 12:56 AM)eriehiker Wrote: Reach 18 graduate credit hours in English. I'm currently at 12 with two more Harvard Poetry classes to reach 20.

Reach 18 graduate credit hours in Economics. I'm currently at 16 and I'm eyeing a summer seminar for teachers in NYC.

Finish the NationsU master's in theology. If I get this one, I get it.

Finish all the educational leadership classes in the Early Childhood Admin. program during the free period at Walden.

Why so mach graduate credit? Does it give you extra teaching endorsements? Doesn't undergraduate credit do the same thing?

Not saying this to be mean or critical just curious how teaching endorsements work.
1) Finish my Bachelors at TESU.

2) Read 100 books

3) Author book(s)

4) Enrol for a Masters degree
TESU BALS-Psych. + ASNSM(Math) 

TEEX(6): Cybersec. 101/201/301
The Institutes(2): Ethics
Sophia(2): Ess. Of Managing Conflict, Dev. Effective Teams
NFA(1): Comm. Safety Edu.
GED(10): NAS-131, SOC-273, MAT-121, HUM-101 (1)
Study.com(75): Intro to Psych., Soc. Psych.-1, Growth & Dev. Psych., Personality Psych., History & Systems of Psych., Org. Theory, Library Science, Comm. at Workplace, Intro to World Religion, I/O Psych., Ethics in Soc. Sc., Org. Comm., Eng. 104, Eng. 105, History of Vietnam war, Sp. Ed. History & Law, Diff. Ed., Classroom Mgmt., Foundations of Ed., Abnormal Psych., Rsch. methods in Psych., College Math, Intro. to Geometry., Calculus (6).
Saylor (15): Intro. to Mol. & Cellular Bio., Comp. Politics, Corporate Comm., Env. Ethics, Principles of Comm. 
TESU (1): Cornerstone, Lib. 495 Capstone.
CSM (3): Quant. reasoning. 
Aleks (6): Trigonometry, Intro to Statistics. 

MS-Psychology; Walden University 
GPA: 4/4

1. Complete my BSBA in January
  2. Start on the pre-work towards the WGU MBA ITM as soon as I can dig up the course requirements/syllabi during my downtime.
  3. Graduate with my BSBA and ASNSM in March
  4. Officially start my MBA in April (I'd like to have at least a few of the papers complete by my start date).
  5. Finish my MBA within 3-4 months
  6. Stretch goal is to start on a DBA or PhD in 2019. But that will be predicated on going back to work first so someone else can help pay for it. Smile
  7. Alternatively, if I get accepted into the GA Tech OMSCS I might go that direction after the MBA but before the doctorate.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
"Why so much graduate credit?"

I teach high school English and economics.  I have an MAT from 2003 that is a general teaching master's degree.  The accrediting agencies now ask for 18 credits in the subject area to teach college classes.  This makes me qualified to teach community college classes and dual enrollment hs/college classes.

The NationsU master's is just for fun.

The Walden program has educational leadership graduate credits that I think I can use to qualify for an administrative certificate.  It's free and I don't intend to complete the entire program.
(12-27-2018, 11:25 AM)eriehiker Wrote: "Why so much graduate credit?"

I teach high school English and economics.  I have an MAT from 2003 that is a general teaching master's degree.  The accrediting agencies now ask for 18 credits in the subject area to teach college classes.  This makes me qualified to teach community college classes and dual enrollment hs/college classes.

The NationsU master's is just for fun.

The Walden program has educational leadership graduate credits that I think I can use to qualify for an administrative certificate.  It's free and I don't intend to complete the entire program.

Do the 18 credits have to be graduate credit to teach college?

Yeah the saw the free Walden offer. It was a really interesting thread to see all the geeking out over free education.
(12-27-2018, 01:02 AM)natshar Wrote: Why so mach graduate credit? Does it give you extra teaching endorsements? Doesn't undergraduate credit do the same thing?

Not saying this to be mean or critical just curious how teaching endorsements work.

Some of us can't pass up a deal. The Harvard Poetry courses were and are $50 per graduate credit! The courses starting in January may be the last cheap ones.

For community colleges, you need a Masters in the subject or an unrelated Masters plus 18 graduate credits in the subject. That is the minimum.

(12-27-2018, 12:03 PM)Ideas Wrote:
(12-27-2018, 01:02 AM)natshar Wrote: Why so mach graduate credit? Does it give you extra teaching endorsements? Doesn't undergraduate credit do the same thing?

Some of us can't pass up a deal. The Harvard Poetry courses were and are $50 per graduate credit! The courses starting in January may be the last cheap ones.

For community colleges, you need a Masters in the subject or an unrelated Masters plus 18 graduate credits in the subject. That is the minimum.

Is there still a way to sign up for the Harvard Poetry? I'm a poet myself and that's a good price. I don't have a Bachelor's degree though.
[-] The following 1 user Likes natshar's post:
  • ROYISAGIRL
(12-27-2018, 12:58 PM)natshar Wrote: Is there still a way to sign up for the Harvard Poetry? I'm a poet myself and that's a good price. I don't have a Bachelor's degree though.

Yes, there are two classes starting in Jan. https://www.poetryinamerica.org/programs...or-credit/

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2019's Worst Colleges for Freedom of Speech sanantone 16 3,507 09-16-2019, 12:44 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Purdue University President remarks at 2019 commencement on today' Snowflake students Life Long Learning 2 1,221 05-29-2019, 07:57 PM
Last Post: MSK9
  how attitudes impact our educational goals rvm 21 2,949 02-08-2019, 01:41 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Happy 2019!!! ShotoJuku 2 1,261 01-01-2019, 10:38 PM
Last Post: Ideas
  What are your educational goals for 2014? soliloquy 30 2,764 07-09-2014, 08:10 AM
Last Post: LaterBloomer
  Introduction and Goals duocdx 2 1,474 02-07-2008, 02:38 PM
Last Post: duocdx