Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What order to take courses?
Hi all,

I have 12 Sophia.Org courses to take. I'd like to maximize my time and get them done as quickly and efficiently as possible. What is the suggested order to take the following courses:

1. English Composition I
  2. Workplace Writing II
  3. Public Speaking
  4. Intro to Sociology
  5. US History II
  6. Critical Thinking
  7. Macroeconomics
  8. Intro to Business
  9. Principles of Management
  10. Business Law
  11. Business Communication
  12. Principles of Finance
Many thanks in advance!
These should be separated into two groups: courses with multiple Touchstones and courses with 2 or fewer Touchstones.

Multiple Touchstones:
English Comp I - 5 Touchstones
Workplace Writing - 6 Touchstones
Public Speaking - 4 Touchstones
Business Communication - 4 Touchstones

2 or fewer Touchstones:
Intro to Sociology - 2 Touchstones
US History II - 0 Touchstones
Critical Thinking - 1 Touchstone
Macroeconomics - 0 Touchstones
Intro to Business - 0 Touchstones
Principles of Management - 1 Touchstone
Business Law - 1 Touchstone
Principles of Finance - 0 Touchstones

Always have one multiple Touchstone course open and one 2 or fewer Touchstone course open. Start with English Comp I and, IMO, go in the order of the list above. The 2 or fewer Touchstone courses can be taken in pretty much any order.

If you have 100% finished a course and you're just waiting for a Touchstone grade, you can contact support to ask for a 3rd course to be opened for you.

Depending on grading times, you'll probably finish the 2nd list before you finish the shorter list with multiple Touchstones.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 4 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • bonbon622, clj626, iothom, origamishuttle
(08-09-2023, 01:46 PM)rachel83az Wrote: These should be separated into two groups: courses with multiple Touchstones and courses with 2 or fewer Touchstones.

Multiple Touchstones:

2 or fewer Touchstones:
US History II - 0 Touchstones

Always have one multiple Touchstone course open and one 2 or fewer Touchstone course open. Start with English Comp I and, IMO, go in the order of the list above. The 2 or fewer Touchstone courses can be taken in pretty much any order.

If you have 100% finished a course and you're just waiting for a Touchstone grade, you can contact support to ask for a 3rd course to be opened for you.

Depending on grading times, you'll probably finish the 2nd list before you finish the shorter list with multiple Touchstones.

Thank you so much! Makes a ton of sense.
@iothom, I skimmed through your previous posts, you've been bouncing around between, COSC, WGU, and 'starting'. My confusion lies between the courses you're taking, as you've listed Eng Comp I, but then go on to Writing II - what happened to Eng Comp II and Writing I? Which degree have you finally decided on? Do you know it'll transfer to the institution of your choice?

I agree with what Rachel83AZ has mentioned, to take the courses in that particular order, but one main thing you want to do is verify all the courses you are taking fit into the degree of your choice, or at least if it does, it will hit the electives. Further to that, you want to try to maximize your alternative credits, up to 90 credits or 75% of the degree program if the institution allow for it.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • iothom
(08-09-2023, 07:21 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @iothom, I skimmed through your previous posts, you've been bouncing around between, COSC, WGU, and 'starting'.  My confusion lies between the courses you're taking, as you've listed Eng Comp I, but then go on to Writing II - what happened to Eng Comp II and Writing I?  Which degree have you finally decided on?  Do you know it'll transfer to the institution of your choice?

I agree with what Rachel83AZ has mentioned, to take the courses in that particular order, but one main thing you want to do is verify all the courses you are taking fit into the degree of your choice, or at least if it does, it will hit the electives.  Further to that, you want to try to maximize your alternative credits, up to 90 credits or 75% of the degree program if the institution allow for it.

Yes, I've definitely bounced around! Initially, I wanted to find out information for my child to enroll. Now, I want to do it myself, also. Thanks to your help and others, I've taken several courses on Sophia and even a few on Study. I've settled with WGU and BS in Business Administration Marketing. After reading the forum and WGU's transfer pathway agreement, I've discovered that these are the 12 Sophia courses I need to complete. I have others to complete with Study. 

Why am I going with Eng Comp I and Writing II? 

On the WGU transfer pathway page, I saw that I could take either Eng Comp II or ENG 1020 (SOPH-0049), which I believe is Workplace Writing II. From what I've read in other places, Workplace Writing II seemed preferable to Eng Comp II. Plus, there are no prerequisites required. However, do you recommend a different course of action?
That works for WGU, did you do your spreadsheet yet? You can probably get about 80-90 max credits transferred in through a combo of Sophia.org and Study.com, I would reference their two links and make the spreadsheet to max the 80+ credits if at all possible.

Sophia.org - https://partners.wgu.edu/transfer-pathwa...BSBAMK7112
Study.com - https://partners.wgu.edu/transfer-pathwa...BSBAMK4429
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • iothom
I would do in this order

Multiple Touchstones:

2 or fewer Touchstones:
US History II - 1 Touchstones

You can contact Sophia's customer service to open up a 3rd course if needed.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • iothom
bjcheung77 - I'm working on my spreadsheet now. Thanks for the links and advice!

LevelUP - Thanks for the tips!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 9 7,291 04-17-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: mdn
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 16 877 04-08-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Kab
  TEEX Cyber Security Courses / non US residents BritStudent 8 689 04-08-2024, 11:32 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 468,441 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,755 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 1,032 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
Thumbs Up Sophia Review: Finished 6 Courses in 1 Week Ares 11 2,032 02-11-2024, 04:54 PM
Last Post: Ares
  Equivalents for Old SNHU Gen Ed Courses Spalmer 6 575 02-11-2024, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Spalmer
  SeeMore courses other than CSM (or: has anyone transferred a non-ACE/NCCRS course?) vaticidalprophet 5 327 01-24-2024, 01:58 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU AOS Finance courses Yenisei 9 700 01-15-2024, 10:31 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat