Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Java Is Trash!
(01-28-2023, 05:32 AM)AwardTour Wrote:
(01-23-2023, 11:16 AM)Johann Wrote: Speaking of languages, I've always liked Basic. (Pause for grimaces - I know,) There's a free product out called QB64. For Windows and Linux. You can compile and run vintage QBasic or Quickbasic code, on your modern machine and OS, or write new stuff using modern screen resolutions and large color sets that original MS QBasic or Quickbasic couldn't touch.

Lol, nothing wrong with Basic. It still lives on through VBA. Back in the 90s and early 2000s VisualBasic 6 was used for a lot of windows apps before .Net came around. During Y2K I actually tried to help a few local factories with their old GW-Basic programs that were not Y2K compliant. Have you tried FreeBASIC? I tried doing game dev in QBasic back in the day. Things were so slow back then that it forced everyone to learn assembly language if you wanted to do graphics or anything cool. There were no APIs and interrupts were too slow. Everything was direct memory access (video ram, sound card, keyboard, etc)

I never could get into Java. A lot of the people who were into Pascal/Delphi went over to Java. The jvm was slow as heck back then. Somehow, corporate America really got into Java because of Sun Micro Systems. I'd learn Java if I had to for job reasons.

Wow, how much easier it has become over the years.
(01-28-2023, 05:32 AM)AwardTour Wrote: Have you tried FreeBASIC? 
No, not yet. I looked up some info and it seems very powerful - and a lot of things can be used with it - among them, C++ code, Windows API and various Graphics systems and   libraries etc. Hey, it's available for Linux. I'm an Ubuntu guy, so yeah, I should try -- Thanks.  Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Johann's post:
  • AwardTour
So I am learning Javascript and from when i learned Java fundamentals almost 20 years back this seems easier? I like it. Will also be learning Python as i am doing the IBM Full Stack Web Developer Certificate and it includes Python.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Java Exam special gams007 2 841 04-25-2021, 10:41 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  HELP : Selecting Intro to Programming and Programming with Java raydog 4 932 08-23-2012, 08:24 AM
Last Post: rebel100
  Online courses in the Java programming language wb.john 6 975 01-13-2012, 09:21 PM
Last Post: dcan