Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Google IT support from Coursera qualify ACE credit
wow, that sucks
(02-10-2020, 01:45 PM)ConqueringCollege Wrote: The Google IT Support Professional certificate came in to TESU as CMP-202 Foundations of Information Technology.

I emailed them about it, and was informed that:

"... the Dean of Heavin School here at Thomas Edison State University has only approved that courses to be awarded 3 credits and not the 12 credits listed.   If you have any additional questions about that decision you will have to contact the Deans Office directly. "

I would definitely appeal.  I think the problem is going to be that it's not on the approved provider list, so they don't even have to take it at all.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
TESU keeps disappointing me more and more with their new attitude toward alt-credit
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(02-10-2020, 03:53 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(02-10-2020, 01:45 PM)ConqueringCollege Wrote: The Google IT Support Professional certificate came in to TESU as CMP-202 Foundations of Information Technology.

I emailed them about it, and was informed that:

"... the Dean of Heavin School here at Thomas Edison State University has only approved that courses to be awarded 3 credits and not the 12 credits listed.   If you have any additional questions about that decision you will have to contact the Deans Office directly. "

I would definitely appeal.  I think the problem is going to be that it's not on the approved provider list, so they don't even have to take it at all.

I am appealing, especially after I noticed that my degree (BSIT) is not under the Heavin School of Arts and Sciences, but under the School of Applied Science and Technology.  I don't know how much approval varies between schools at TESU.   Regardless, it should transfer closer to the ACE recommendation.
(02-10-2020, 06:47 PM)jsd Wrote: TESU keeps disappointing me more and more with their new attitude toward alt-credit

I'm with you.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Really only three credits? That not only sucks, but is super annoying. I think I'll still have my friend finish it and any other computer base courses and encourage applying to wgu.
In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, HRM

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

https://www.insidehighered.com/digital-l...y-colleges

This certificate is an odd duck because there are now seemingly many colleges that will accept the certificate for credit.

So, I think that it would be funny if a person gave the certificate to a community college for 12 credits and then transferred those community college credits to TESU.
[-] The following 1 user Likes eriehiker's post:
  • MNomadic
(02-12-2020, 09:22 PM)eriehiker Wrote: https://www.insidehighered.com/digital-l...y-colleges

This certificate is an odd duck because there are now seemingly many colleges that will accept the certificate for credit.

So, I think that it would be funny if a person gave the certificate to a community college for 12 credits and then transferred those community college credits to TESU.

They wouldn't accept them that way. They would Insist on evaluating then from the original source.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Initial evaluation from TESU may be just the 3 credits, but they're going through "an approved provider listing" and also updating their own transfer databases. I think in due time, it'll change to reflect whatever the current info would be - be it 12 or whatever credits. Time will tell, they're slow in updating their records.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(02-12-2020, 09:22 PM)eriehiker Wrote: https://www.insidehighered.com/digital-l...y-colleges

The CC will show that they gave credit to an outside source for the credits, so TESU would want to see the source.  Most schools (the vast majority) give credit based on what you took at an individual school.  Schools notate what they brought in vs. what was taken there.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Credit Banking & cheap/free credits - Asking for a friend SweetSecret 7 1,531 04-06-2024, 12:00 PM
Last Post: Rubeferry18
  Prompt Engineering Course by Vanderbilt University on Coursera LevelUP 2 352 03-23-2024, 05:28 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  New Georgetown Coursera Bachelors smartdegree 73 9,708 03-18-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: SilentWarrior
  Coursera Certs Offline natshar 4 380 03-10-2024, 12:03 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,955 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
  Verified College Credit Transfers TINASAM 0 246 02-19-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: TINASAM
  Tohono O’odham Community College: $34.25 Credit Hour! Ares 3 742 02-07-2024, 12:24 PM
  Coursera & Edx - Peer Reviewed Assignments bjcheung77 7 1,078 01-09-2024, 12:01 PM
Last Post: gulshan212
Question Extension Schools for Credit Transfer Tobutz 4 698 12-13-2023, 03:21 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  Upper-level credit via XAMK, Metropolia or U of Helsinki jg_nuy 0 484 12-09-2023, 04:19 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy