Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gov. Shutdown?
This is a very informative thread, and I'm glad to see respect coming from both sides. I agree that everyone in D.C. is stubborn and proud, but you would think that the left could see the facts that ACA is not ready and is falling apart at the seams. A delay to work out the kinks seems like a perfect compromise if we must implement this job-killing, wealth-redistributing law.
Sklineho, it's worth noting that this is a Republic, where the majority cannot impose their will on the minority. I don't see the democratic process being broken here; I see checks and balances at work. It certainly could have been handled with more eloquence and with better timing, but I believe the House is exercising its democratic right and its purpose.

I'm sure nothing significant will get accomplished until the GOP loses the House or the Dems lose the Senate. I just wish that the left would agree to a budget with less spending instead of trying to steal from those who have earned their fortune. For as much as they tout saving the environment for generations to come, they sure don't mind spending generations of money to keep their base voting for them today.

I don't intend to offend, this is just how I see things. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
The real enemy here is Canada. They have been secretly plotting against us for decades. They have sent us Nickelback, Justin Bieber, and Ted Cruz.

Honestly, I put a lot of the blame on John Boehner. He seemed more concerned about his speakership than getting a bill passed. There was one bill that was predicted to pass with bipartisan support in the House, but Boehner wouldn't let it come to a vote because it wouldn't get a majority of Republican support. Now that his back is up against the wall, he is being forced to compromise. At least before, he had the chance of keeping his speakership with the votes of moderate Republicans and Democrats. Now, he's ticked off everyone.

It's not really clear who is the minority. The Republicans are the majority in the House. Most people oppose the ACA (although, I've learned that most people don't even know what it really is). Now, most people are upset about the government shutdown even though a lot of those people also oppose ACA. They really don't think it's worth all of this. If you want to get technical, the real minority in this whole thing is the group of people who don't have health insurance.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
jmeitrem Wrote:This is a very informative thread, and I'm glad to see respect coming from both sides. I agree that everyone in D.C. is stubborn and proud, but you would think that the left could see the facts that ACA is not ready and is falling apart at the seams. A delay to work out the kinks seems like a perfect compromise if we must implement this job-killing, wealth-redistributing law.
Sklineho, it's worth noting that this is a Republic, where the majority cannot impose their will on the minority. I don't see the democratic process being broken here; I see checks and balances at work. It certainly could have been handled with more eloquence and with better timing, but I believe the House is exercising its democratic right and its purpose.

I'm sure nothing significant will get accomplished until the GOP loses the House or the Dems lose the Senate. I just wish that the left would agree to a budget with less spending instead of trying to steal from those who have earned their fortune. For as much as they tout saving the environment for generations to come, they sure don't mind spending generations of money to keep their base voting for them today.

I don't intend to offend, this is just how I see things. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Oh I agree that while this is a Republic, and no a majority should not impose it's will upon everyone, that same thing can be said of the minority not being able to impose it's will which is precisely what has happened here.

I think the republican party's biggest problem is credibility. These people claim to oppose big spending (which I agree with them on 120%). The problem is the GOP have spent as wildly as the Democrats. They pissed away trillions on useless wars and other wastes. So when I see these people come out and talk about "lower spending" I find it nothing short of laughable. This pairs along with your comment about the laughability of the Democrats' "save the environment". Combine the two and it's obvious that not a one of these people is being sincere.

To top it off, 90% of these people will be re-elected............in landslides. THAT is the core problem in this country. It's the reason pork spending will NEVER go away, because it's how these people buy back the loyalty of their constituents.
BA Psychology - TESC

CLEP Biology - 56
CLEP Human Growth and Development - 56
CLEP College Mathematics - 54
CLEP Educational Psychology - 58
CLEP Social Sciences and History - 70
CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature - 59
ECE Psychology of Adulthood and Aging -B
ECE Research Methods in Psychology - B
DSST Substance Abuse - 429
DSST Fundamentals of Counseling - 53
DSST Intro to World Religion - 458
sanantone Wrote:The real enemy here is Canada. They have been secretly plotting against us for decades. They have sent us Nickelback, Justin Bieber, and Ted Cruz.

Honestly, I put a lot of the blame on John Boehner. He seemed more concerned about his speakership than getting a bill passed. There was one bill that was predicted to pass with bipartisan support in the House, but Boehner wouldn't let it come to a vote because it wouldn't get a majority of Republican support. Now that his back is up against the wall, he is being forced to compromise. At least before, he had the chance of keeping his speakership with the votes of moderate Republicans and Democrats. Now, he's ticked off everyone.

It's not really clear who is the minority. The Republicans are the majority in the House. Most people oppose the ACA (although, I've learned that most people don't even know what it really is). Now, most people are upset about the government shutdown even though a lot of those people also oppose ACA. They really don't think it's worth all of this. If you want to get technical, the real minority in this whole thing is the group of people who don't have health insurance.

I think a lot of this was dragged out because Boehner was trying to minimize damage to his own career. The man is inept and has been a failure as Speaker, and that's evident actually more to Republicans than Democrats (*he's been the gift that keeps on giving for the Dems). I suspect he'll still have a mutiny on his hands before long but what frightens me is he'll be replaced by some extremist. Incidentally he has also basically insured that Obamacare isn't going anywhere. I'll be thinking about him as my cost of insurance rises even further next year.
BA Psychology - TESC

CLEP Biology - 56
CLEP Human Growth and Development - 56
CLEP College Mathematics - 54
CLEP Educational Psychology - 58
CLEP Social Sciences and History - 70
CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature - 59
ECE Psychology of Adulthood and Aging -B
ECE Research Methods in Psychology - B
DSST Substance Abuse - 429
DSST Fundamentals of Counseling - 53
DSST Intro to World Religion - 458
This is a republic, and I lay the blame at the feet of the American people. We have been selfish. We want more and more stuff but don't want to pay for it.

It is like we have reached our limit on our credit card and are trying to pay off our maxed-out credit card with a loan from the payday advance place.

At some point we will have to get fiscally responsible, either by choice or by necessity.
I don't know what the future holds, but I know Who holds the future.
topdog98 Wrote:It is like we have reached our limit on our credit card and are trying to pay off our maxed-out credit card with a loan from the payday advance place.
Exactly. It's almost laughable how ridiculously in debt America is. It needs to be dealt with!
BA History 2014 - TESC

The Lord is my shepherd. Psalm 23

"I'm going on an adventure!' ~AUJ
"It is our fight." ~DoS
"I am not alone." ~BotFA
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that's given to us." ~FotR
"There is still hope." ~TTT
"Courage..." "This day, we fight!" ~RotK

CLEP: A&I Lit 74 ~ Am Lit 73 ~ Eng Lit 72 ~ Humanities 75 ~ College Math 77 ~ Western Civ I 63 ~ Western Civ II 69 ~ Natural Sci 64 ~ US History I 76 ~ US History II 69 ~ Sociology 68 ~ Am Gov 69 ~ Social Sci & Hist 71 ~ College Comp 61 ~ Marketing 70 ~ Management 66 ~ Psychology 67

DSST: Supervision 453 ~ Tech Writing 61 ~ Computing 427 ~ Middle East 65 ~ Soviet Union 65 ~ Vietnam War 74 ~[COLOR="#0099cc"] Civil War 68

[/COLOR]Other: College+ Biblical Social Justice B ~ ECE World Conflicts Since 1900 A

TESC courses: Capstone A ~ Leaders in History A ~ Photography 101 A- ~ Games People Play A ~ International Relations A- ~ Mass Communications I A

$5 off IC - 59690
My hair jewelry business
Unfortunately, one of the most fiscally sound decisions that could be made is to reverse the Bush/Obama tax cuts. I get frustrated that the deficit discussions often revolve around spending when we are collecting significantly less taxes than typical throughout our history. The percentage of taxes to GDP has been at levels not see since the 50's. At one point, the Republicans talked about capping spending at 18% of GDP while tax revenues sit in the mid 15% range. Aside from insufficient taxes, medical spending is unsustainable and unlikely to change. For-profit medical care will be the nail in the coffin of the American economy.

I look forward to emigrating to a country with high taxes and socialized medicine. This is the driving force behind getting my degree.
TESC 2015 - BSBA, Computer Information Systems

TESC 2019 - 21 Post-bachelor accounting credits
UptonSinclair Wrote:. . . when we are collecting significantly less taxes than typical throughout our history.
You're only talking about recent history? Look back to the founding of the country and early 1800s to get a different picture (and where the tax revenue was coming from).
UptonSinclair Wrote:medical spending is unsustainable and unlikely to change. For-profit medical care will be the nail in the coffin of the American economy.
Agreed that for-profit medical care is an issue (so is health insurance, just about everything about malpractice law, etc.)

UptonSinclair Wrote:I look forward to emigrating to a country with high taxes and socialized medicine. This is the driving force behind getting my degree.
Um, what? If that's sarcasm, wow. If it's not, double wow.
Westerner Wrote:Exactly. It's almost laughable how ridiculously in debt America is. It needs to be dealt with!

When does someone who is at risk for a heart attack start exercising? Usually after a heart attack (if still alive). When will America face the unsustainable debt issue? Probably when the aren't enough buyers of new debt (forcing an ugly end to the Ponzi game).
Westerner Wrote:Exactly. It's almost laughable how ridiculously in debt America is. It needs to be dealt with!

Would you be open to a tax increase?