Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grad School and GPA
At undergrad level many worry about GPA because it can affect options for grad school. Does GPA matter as much for those of you in grad school? If you are going for one of those cheap, fast programs like a 6 month MBA at WGU, do you focus on getting done quickly because it's less money or do you focus on high marks? I'm just curious about others philosophies. Not that there is necessarily one right or wrong way. I'm currently trying to juggle going fast so as to cut down on tuition while at the same time keeping my GPA at a 4.0. That typically means I overstudy, which can result in a slower pace. I seem to find the two goals are in conflict with one another, and probably will be more so as I approach my November 9th deadline. The irony is that this particular degree will probably not be used for anything career related, but I'll know if I slacked off and rush too much. So I guess it's a personal bucket list challenge to finish fast and with a high GPA.
MTS             Nations University - September 2018
BA.LS.SS     Thomas Edison State University -September 2017
I think grad school GPA mostly matters if you plan to do another degree. I'm not certain, but I think most employers don't care about GPA, but that in certain fields they would consider it somewhat.

WGU is pass/fail with no GPA. I sort of like that, because otherwise I would be concerned with getting a good GPA, like you said. (I do plan to get another degree... or two.)

[-] The following 1 user Likes Ideas's post:
  • burbuja0512
I didn't know that about WGU, being pass/fail. That makes sense then that someone could technically go fast without the stress of keeping up a perfect GPA.
Doesn't WGU have a policy that a passing grade is a B in the course (although obviously you can get an A)?
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I need a B minimum to pass a course too. Anything lower doesn't count toward the degree and another course needs to be taken in its place. Another reason I stress about getting the highest grade possible.
I got a 4.0 in my grad degree. I WISH it counted for something. I suppose I could put it on a resume, but I don't because that's not very common in my field.

Yeah! I just posted about it!!! Now I feel like my GPA is just a little more useful than it was before! Smile
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
[-] The following 1 user Likes burbuja0512's post:
  • sarg123
(04-23-2018, 10:35 PM)rlw74 Wrote: At undergrad level many worry about GPA because it can affect options for grad school. Does GPA matter as much for those of you in grad school? If you are going for one of those cheap, fast programs like a 6 month MBA at WGU, do you focus on getting done quickly because it's less money or do you focus on high marks? I'm just curious about others philosophies. Not that there is necessarily one right or wrong way. I'm currently trying to juggle going fast so as to cut down on tuition while at the same time keeping my GPA at a 4.0. That typically means I overstudy, which can result in a slower pace. I seem to find the two goals are in conflict with one another, and probably will be more so as I approach my November 9th deadline. The irony is that this particular degree will probably not be used for anything career related, but I'll know if I slacked off and rush too much. So I guess it's a personal bucket list challenge to finish fast and with a high GPA.

My grad school required passing every course with a B or better. I never did figure out how to study *just enough* to get a B and ended up with A's and A- for mine. I'm quite sure no one will ever care lol.
I’m about 2 months from starting my graduate program, but I want to get as high of GPA as possible for 2 reasons:

1. Would like to get invited to Delta Omega public health honor society
2. Plan on additional grad school after the masters

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  nitstharya - Grad School Top Up Recommendation nitstharya 1 180 04-10-2024, 04:23 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 33 7,286 04-04-2024, 05:32 PM
Last Post: collegecareerstudent
  Fastest way to get into graduate school megaworp 20 1,035 03-22-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Harvard Extension School Students Rally for Degree Name Change smartdegree 116 16,070 02-22-2024, 09:51 AM
Last Post: sarahmac
  Northwestern California University School of Law - My Journey GoodYellowDogs 47 14,761 02-14-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: MFG
  School of Business and Trade evaluation bjcheung77 12 1,317 01-11-2024, 10:36 PM
Last Post: adrian052
  Article bashes Harvard Extension ALM Grad smartdegree 50 8,483 12-25-2023, 09:32 AM
Last Post: posabsolute
  European Grad Studies Abroad: Cost of Living vs Low Tuition Fees bjcheung77 7 1,428 12-23-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Medical School, AMCAS, Prerequisites, Pass or fail, online college, etc... CanICode 22 3,639 10-18-2023, 08:38 AM
Last Post: CanICode
  Seeking a grad school OTmina 4 1,094 10-11-2023, 11:13 PM
Last Post: OTmina