Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grad cert through prior learning only?
The Harvard English courses made me think about this again: Is it possible to do any entire grad certs through PLA/certifications? 

I believe it's only possible at The Big Three? But I believe that Excelsior has hardly any or no grad certs, and I believe COSC has none. (It appears Excelsior's site is having technical problems right now.) 

Just curious if there's any other way to get an actual, complete grad cert cheaply. (Even if it's foreign or NA.) I don't think there is. If only half can be done through PLA, it gets too expensive.

The TESU Graduate PLA is quite a different beast from the undergrad version. It doesn't look easy or cheap.

Quote:https://www.tesu.edu/degree-completion/Graduate-PLA.cfm

Graduate PLA

Matriculated graduate students wishing to earn credit for what they already know can utilize the Grad PLA process.  This online process is conducted within an 8-week or 12-week graduate term (depending on your degree program) and must be pre-approved by the office of the Dean of the School offering your graduate degree. ...

Quote:https://www.tesu.edu/tuition/pla-tuition.cfm

Single Course, 12-week PLA Tuition*Matriculated: $178 per credit attemptedNonmatriculated: $245 per credit attempted
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(03-13-2018, 02:10 PM)davewill Wrote: The TESU Graduate PLA is quite a different beast from the undergrad version. It doesn't look easy or cheap.

I'm not seeing anything that's different or harder. It seems like the same language?

Also it seems much cheaper through LearningCounts.

I had forgotten about learning counts.

With the schools that allow transfer grad credit, I wonder...

Wonder what learning counts considers Masters level college learning opportunities? After a TON of undergrad PLA at TESU, I still can't say with any confidence what their tipping point was...
Angel 
Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies Thomas Edison State University 2018
Cert in Emergency Management -
Three Rivers CC 2017
Cert in Basic Police Ed - Walters State CC 1996

Current Goal: new job
Working on: securing funding I don't have to pay back for a Masters.
Up Next: Toying with Masters Programs
Finished: First Degree

Older Experience with: PLA / Portfolios, RPNow, Proctor U, ACE, NCCRS, DAVAR Academy (formerly Tor), Straighterline, TESU, Ed4Credit, Study.com, The Institutes, Kaplan, ALEKS, FEMA IS, NFA IS, brick & mortar community colleges, LOTS of vocational schools...

My list of academic courses:
link

(03-17-2018, 07:00 PM)High_Order1 Wrote: I had forgotten about learning counts.

With the schools that allow transfer grad credit, I wonder...

Wonder what learning counts considers Masters level college learning opportunities? After a TON of undergrad PLA at TESU, I still can't say with any confidence what their tipping point was...

I'm not finding anywhere inexpensive to obtain a Masters, because most schools only allow 25% or less to be transferred. Some schools allow 50%, or almost 50% since you generally can't transfer the exact same number of half number allowed. But it seems like most of those schools have a higher per-credit tuition than the others. So I'm not sure if there are any under $6600 when you consider the PLA costs. Amberton is one of the cheapest which I would say is around $7000.

Most also apparently want 50% for certs, but a cert might make sense.

As with undergrad, they say you have to demonstrate you learned each objective of the course.

For example the Online Learning grad cert at TESU is 12 credits and you can only transfer in 6 credits. Their grad credits are over $650 each so that really adds up. $4000.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  nitstharya - Grad School Top Up Recommendation nitstharya 1 180 04-10-2024, 04:23 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Article bashes Harvard Extension ALM Grad smartdegree 50 8,484 12-25-2023, 09:32 AM
Last Post: posabsolute
  European Grad Studies Abroad: Cost of Living vs Low Tuition Fees bjcheung77 7 1,428 12-23-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  NAU Personalized Learning Master of Organizational Leadership Jonathan Whatley 11 1,616 12-14-2023, 11:46 AM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  NAU MOL degree personalized learning Ebroady23 8 836 11-07-2023, 04:40 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Seeking a grad school OTmina 4 1,094 10-11-2023, 11:13 PM
Last Post: OTmina
  Time to start thinking post grad, and don’t know where to start Insert Name 7 968 07-09-2023, 10:43 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Looking for online Grad Cert. or Masters Program RoliJoli 4 1,122 03-27-2023, 05:41 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  New Amberton Grad Cert ss20ts 0 564 03-25-2023, 03:36 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  IUBH - Another low cost European Grad option posabsolute 18 6,023 03-21-2023, 03:13 PM
Last Post: JPN