Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grades - How much do you worry about them?
For some reason, I always worry about my grades when at a B&M, but I just worry about getting the minimal grade for online courses. I always shoot for an A in person. My online grades are really low, like 70's and 80's on study.com.
Georgia Institute of Technology: MS in Analytics (3/32 Credits)
Boston University: MS in Software Development
Thomas Edison State University: BA in Liberal Studies
[-] The following 1 user Likes MrBossmanJr's post:
  • suzycupcake
(01-01-2019, 09:08 AM)cookderosa Wrote:
(12-31-2018, 03:30 PM)Jenniferinfl Wrote: I've had an obsession with getting A's. I had one truly horrible semester around 2001 or so where I got all C's. Basically, took too many classes, worked two jobs and needed eye surgery and classes had labs that required microscope use. It was just awful. 
So, despite getting A's in pretty much everything since, I still only have about a 3.5 GPA. 

But, I had a realization that at this point it probably doesn't matter right? No program I'm likely to take at this point is particularly competitive. I mean, I wouldn't really want a bunch of C's, but, if I just stay north of a 3.0 I'm likely fine right? It doesn't look like much of anything requires more than a 3.0 except like medical school or something. 

I'm sitting here panicking about taking the American Government final even though I have a 98% in the rest of the class.. lol I only need to get 43 questions out of 60 correct to get an A and even if I missed all but two questions I would still pass. But, still with the stupid anxiety about it. 

Do the classes from Straighterline and Study.com even count for a grade or does it just show up as pass/fail? 

It looks like now I will be attending WGU if that makes any difference. I found a couple threads where people indicated that grades showed up when they transferred credits to COSC. 

Goodness I would LOVE not to worry about grades for awhile. Smile

I always aim for an A when I take classes that give me a grade, but with pass/fail exams like CLEP, I aimed for a pass.  I have a very high GPA, and anything that would +/- my GPA for sure gets a lot of attention.... but that's just how I tick, there isn't any real reason for it.  No one cares or asks me my GPA lol.
BUT... it's not stressful for me.  I enjoy it, so it's not "work" to get those results.
It's not stressful for me to put in 6 hours on a paper to aim for an A but it's pure torture to get out and exercise for 30 minutes - ha ha.  I also enjoy certain types of volunteer work. I can easily dedicate 25 hours per week.  Again, not stressful.
My #2 son works like crazy- has since high school.  Sometimes 7 days a week for 10-12 hours per day.  If he's off more than a couple days per month he's a bear to deal with and his employer loves him- thinks he's the best worker they have. OTOH, he's a solid C+ student.  He has enough A's and B's to keep his GPA above a 3.0 but just barely.  For him, his degree is checking the box so he can get back to his "real life" at work.
I think my point is that we are all motivated to give our best to different things, don't beat yourself up for preferring one over the other.

If you're attending Charter Oak, then the courses at SL and Study *can* be graded (or not- it's an option) but for the pass/fail classes, they have zero impact on your GPA.  Based on your post, my suggestion is to use your stress-energy on the ones that give a grade, and let the others just roll through as pass/fail.

I always shoot for an A, as well, and was bummed to find out that all of my SDC LL classes, for which I had 'A's, only came through as 'P' at COSC, while all of my classes from SL and Davar came in as letter grades. I still have 2 UL classes at SDC that I'm completing. I'm hoping they don't have the same grade policy on those.

Also, I'll be requesting an SDC transcript (versus just sending my ACE transcript directly to them) to be sent to them directly hoping that makes a difference on how the grades are recorded with COSC.

I'll keep you all apprised.
(03-12-2019, 01:42 PM)vpassenheim Wrote: [quote pid='277353' dateline='1546351739']
If you're attending Charter Oak, then the courses at SL and Study *can* be graded (or not- it's an option) but for the pass/fail classes, they have zero impact on your GPA.  Based on your post, my suggestion is to use your stress-energy on the ones that give a grade, and let the others just roll through as pass/fail.

I always shoot for an A, as well, and was bummed to find out that all of my SDC LL classes, for which I had 'A's, only came through as 'P' at COSC, while all of my classes from SL and Davar came in as letter grades. I still have 2 UL classes at SDC that I'm completing. I'm hoping they don't have the same grade policy on those.

Also, I'll be requesting an SDC transcript (versus just sending my ACE transcript directly to them) to be sent to them directly hoping that makes a difference on how the grades are recorded with COSC.

I'll keep you all apprised.
[/quote]

You can't get letter grades for courses that come from ACE (ACE doesn't keep track of your score). So you have to send directly from Study.com in order to get a grade at COSC.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Want better grades? Move towards the beginning of the alphabet. davewill 7 173 7 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  AI-Generated Essays Are Nothing to Worry About LevelUP 5 746 11-02-2022, 11:29 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Grades matter more Alpha 5 684 04-24-2022, 02:31 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Do grades from transfer credits matter? StoicJ 1 894 10-12-2020, 06:51 AM
Last Post: Merlin
  Transcripts and grades study.com kier7141 3 1,175 05-02-2019, 05:48 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  I have a present for you.....a college that awards letter grades for CLEP! cookderosa 9 3,021 05-02-2017, 08:44 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Does ACE do grades? Catalytic 2 629 09-16-2016, 11:58 AM
Last Post: Catalytic
  StraighterLine Final Grades??? raiderborn 3 1,240 04-30-2016, 01:00 PM
Last Post: raiderborn
  Straighterline grades? PrincessButtercup 2 1,346 08-21-2015, 09:57 AM
Last Post: mednat
  Grades and where you went to school doesn't matter. videogamesrock 9 1,470 05-09-2015, 08:17 PM
Last Post: cookderosa